British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Vince said:

But also even for spectator sports the post war years were a boom time despite it being financially difficult for business and life generally. It seems that when life gets difficult for people entertainment assumes a more important role.

Absolutely, entertainment becomes even more important when people have more time on their hands, and it's also a great distraction from life's difficulties ...

I see the horse racing authorities are looking at a limit on field sizes and only allowing more experienced/competent jockeys to ride - could British speedway try this as a means to get through? Only Premiership speedway with a strict criteria on who can ride? Injuries are part and parcel of the sport but anything that can be done to limit them, and in turn NHS resources, must be considered.

15 minutes ago, JCookie said:

I see the horse racing authorities are looking at a limit on field sizes and only allowing more experienced/competent jockeys to ride - could British speedway try this as a means to get through? Only Premiership speedway with a strict criteria on who can ride? Injuries are part and parcel of the sport but anything that can be done to limit them, and in turn NHS resources, must be considered.

It’s not about field size or experience is it? What sort of crowd is attending for instance ? If none because most money is made through betting (which is happening elsewhere I think) then it doesn’t really prove a model that speedway can follow

28 minutes ago, JCookie said:

All to do with money, the bookies must be losing a fortune, so they need horse racing back, but until there is a relaxation of lockdown how can loads of people gather at a horse race meeting but not in a public park?

Plus you need paramedics, ambulances etc which wont be allowed at the moment

Edited by The Third Man
  • Like 1

With regards to medical cover it has to be remembered that as far as I know no tracks use NHS ambulances for track cover  or NHS paid Paramedics or Doctor’s  the staff that cover it do it on their rest days or time off.

What may have to be considered is that tracks have two ambulances and double medical cover so if there was an incident there would be no need to call an NHS ambulance. If you look back at government briefings on Friday they have actually seen a substantial drop in A&E cases with the lowest waiting times for years.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, flagrag said:

With regards to medical cover it has to be remembered that as far as I know no tracks use NHS ambulances for track cover  or NHS paid Paramedics or Doctor’s  the staff that cover it do it on their rest days or time off.

What may have to be considered is that tracks have two ambulances and double medical cover so if there was an incident there would be no need to call an NHS ambulance. If you look back at government briefings on Friday they have actually seen a substantial drop in A&E cases with the lowest waiting times for years.

What happens when they get to hospital A+E. ?? 

11 minutes ago, HGould said:

That’s probably no more than one rider in every twenty meetings, so hardly an issue, is it?

11 minutes ago, HGould said:

Most A & E departments are pretty empty at the moment...

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Most A & E departments are pretty empty at the moment...

What planet have you been living on???

8 minutes ago, HGould said:

It was on TV yesterday that A& E's are 50% down on usual. People are keeping away if they can..

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, Vince said:

I'm not sure, it has often been the case that sports do well in difficult financial times.

I hope will can all share that optimism. How companies get off the ground is going to be the big tellar. Unfortunately these days the proportion of income spend on leisure activities is much higher than it was years ago. For example 18- 20 pounds admission to a premiership meeting when say the average take home pay is 300 to 400 pound is a much higher average than many years ago. I remember as a kid going to Foxhall in the early 80s and the adult admission was around 50p. Not bad considering the average take home wage was probably about 50 to 60 pounds.

3 hours ago, Blupanther said:

If you think hospitals are ready to deal with unnecessary sporting injuries you are definitely living in a parallel universe. A + E are dealing primarily with Coronovirus, those not are seeing reduce traffic as no one unless critically ill will risk going to A + E in case they catch the virus. I doubt many riders would take the risk right now. I'm even more sure that majority of supporters would risk going to speedway right now or feel it right to do so. 3 - 4 months away at least.

4 hours ago, HGould said:

This planet, it's a fact.