British Speedway Forum

Serious question following the latest Italian 'lockdowns', will it affect Ipswich and Kent re Nico Covatti??

And will Amanda Castagna be allowed to attend FIM and SGP meetings?

Edited by Skidder1

26 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Serious question following the latest Italian 'lockdowns', will it affect Ipswich and Kent re Nico Covatti??

You would have thought not in the case of Castagna.

As for people like Covatti that have presumably recently returned from their homeland, have they been medically checked?

40 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

R/R for 2 weeks

I see there is now an SCB statement advising riders not to travel between countries affected by Coronavirus!!!

25 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I see there is now an SCB statement advising riders not to travel between countries affected by Coronavirus!!!

So that basically means, don't travel abroad. It's in Poland, France, 

6 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

So that basically means, don't travel abroad. It's in Poland, France, 

32 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Sensible decision in my opinion.

• Like 1

OK for riders to go to North Korea then...

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, spinkox said:

OK for riders to go to North Korea then...

Probably okay for them to go to Godalming too:rofl:

• Like 1

Poland has  now banned mass gatherings, the Grand prix in Warsaw must now be in doubt.

4 minutes ago, DBP said:

Poland has  now banned mass gatherings, the Grand prix in Warsaw must now be in doubt.

But only until the end of March.

Can't be long before this country does the same re banning mass gatherings..

When so many nations are starting to do it then it will leave you open to much criticism if you stay out and do your own thing..

And could look like a dereliction of duty should it become a major disaster..

17 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

But only until the end of March.

That's just to start with, more than likely extend into April, they have already cancelled poland v Australia in a friendly test match, and Edward Jancarz memorial also  talking about postponing the start of the league season to possibly May or June

Edited by DBP
Update

24 minutes ago, mikebv said:

When so many nations are starting to do it then it will leave you open to much criticism if you stay out and do your own thing..

Even more reason for people to get out and support the Ben fund meeting this weekend... Maybe the last speedway seen for a while?

41 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Ah that's good then, it won't effect any speedway meetings in this country.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I'm no fan of Boris but think he got this perfectly right so far.

Many are banning "mass gatherings" as political decisions made by Government because they think they know best!

In UK we seem to be basing on decisions of Health professionals.

Their current opinion is that the virus passes and transfers less well in fresh air and that there is less risk in a big crowd (up to 70,000 has been quoted) than in a small confined indoor place with 10 people.

Who is right and who is wrong, a Health professional or a professional politician. (time will tell).

i think Boris's judgement is that while less than a 100 people a day are being confirmed to have it and deaths are exclusively so far with elderly people with a pre-condition that public mood is to carry on. The outcry from soccer fans in particular with the statistical numbers as they are and the infection / death rate would be a huge groundswell of anger.

Who is right and who is wrong we wont know for months, may be years.

I think there are more specific issues for Speedway to consider rather than a blanket ban, such as rider travel and age dynamic of supporter base.

Ultimately if Birmingham are allowed to race I will make the judgement on a week to week basis, risk of going v reward of entertainment. At the moment I see no reason not to go and hopefully for as long as possible every individual will be able to make that judgement for themselves.

IF we got to Italian situation may be different. Seems China and Korea have managed to reduce spread markedly. I do wonder if we'd have been as bad as we are if hadn't been half term and a lot of tourism to Italy as most of the confirmed UK cases seem linked to trips there and contact with visitors there.