British Speedway Forum

27 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

The problem with this is, very often, the ones who bemoan the lack of characters are the first to be up in arms at the first sign of a 'bust-up or fracas'.

I used to relish the thought of Ian Thomas visiting Cowley with his "Diamonds" or Cyril Crane with his "Barracudas" and the mayhem that would occasionally ensure. Would enliven many a dull meeting...and throw in Soldier Boy for good measure! Good old Bernard Crapper was another who would wind up the oppostion so as to get a reaction. I had a long chat to him once some years ago and he explained that he would sometimes phone the referee from the centre green waving his arms about but was only passing the time of day with him so as to get an otherwise dull meeting livened up!

Edited by steve roberts

11 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I used to relish the thought of Ian Thomas visiting Cowley with his "Diamonds" or Cyril Crane with his "Barracudas" and the mayhem that would occasionally ensure. Would enliven many a dull meeting...and throw in Soldier Boy for good measure! Good old Bernard Crapper was another who would wind up the oppostion so as to get a reaction. I had a long chat to him once some years ago and he explained that he would sometimes phone the referee from the centre green waving his arms about but was only passing the time of day with him so as to get an otherwise dull meeting livened up!

No one did it better than Neil Macfarlane at Glasgow o

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Cyril Crane used to get the crowd going wild, cheering, booing as he stalked over the centre green at King's Lynn, up the ladder where he was then seen wildly waving his arms around in the referee's box and going generally  bananas. Crowd loved it.

Cyril did this for total effect (on most occasions) to get the crowd going. He would be asking the ref: would you like a cup of tea? do you take milk? What about sugar? Can we get you some crisps, or a chocolate bar?

Those were certainly the days.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

No one did it better than Neil Macfarlane at Glasgow o

...or Dick Barrie!

Edited by steve roberts

8 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Cyril Crane used to get the crowd going wild, cheering, booing as he stalked over the centre green at King's Lynn, up the ladder where he was then seen wildly waving his arms around in the referee's box and going generally  bananas. Crowd loved it.

Cyril did this for total effect (on most occasions) to get the crowd going. He would be asking the ref: would you like a cup of tea? do you take milk? What about sugar? Can we get you some crisps, or a chocolate bar?

The occasion that Garry Middleton apparently tied two broomsticks to his handlebars to make his bike wider because he got fed up with Ole Olsen passing him? Surprisingly the referee wouldn't allow him to race before he removed the offending articles!! Remember when he rode down the entire straight at Plough Lane with his left leg stuck out to stop Ray Wilson from sneaking by up the inside!

15 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Didn't Cyril once kick the stuffed Panthers mascot at Peterborough once in front of the Grandstand?

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

It's actually this attitude that is prolonging things.

The more you follow.. the more you will be led.

Covid-19 is comparitively not that common, but you really, really do not want to become infected.  I speak more knowingly than I would like to, and my 'attitude' as you put it, is based upon personally knowing people who have suffered greatly from the pandemic, not wishing to catch it and, like everyone, hoping it will be over soon without more lives changed and / or lives lost.  With many following lockdown guidelines, but some not, with guidelines being eased slightly it's a bit early for folk to behave as they did before regarding SD, not sanitising, etc.  the pandemic is thankfully easing but at this juncture it only takes one or two persons to unknowingly become Covid-19 postive, then whilst in a crowd unwittingly pass it on and so it mulitplies once more, even if locally....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Didn't Cyril once kick the stuffed Panthers mascot at Peterborough once in front of the Grandstand?

I didn't see that but I would not be surprised.

Those really were the days

7 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Covid-19 is comparitively not that common, but you really, really do not want to become infected.  I speak more knowingly than I would like to, and my 'attitude' as you put it, is based upon personally knowing people who have suffered greatly from the pandemic, not wishing to catch it and, like everyone, hoping it will be over soon without more lives changed and / or lives lost.  With many following lockdown guidelines, but some not, with guidelines being eased slightly it's a bit early for folk to behave as they did before regarding SD, not sanitising, etc.  the pandemic is thankfully easing but at this juncture it only takes one or two persons to unknowingly become Covid-19 postive, then whilst in a crowd unwittingly pass it on and so it mulitplies once more, even if locally....

So you say.. but the evidence says otherwise.

But go ahead.. comply.. comply.. comply and even worse.. beg for more. That always ends well, history has shown us that :)

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I didn't see that but I would not be surprised.

Those really were the days

Who could forget Tom Owen at Eastbourne? There was the time with the broken tea pot which is written in folklore!

I am cheered  by reading hte news in this weeks Speedway Star that sepctators are going to be allowed into speedway stadiums in Sweden.

The enterprising Swedish promoters have declared that their track restaurants will be open for business and will take bookings for meals to allow spectators to watch the racing.

This must be the way forward that the British  PRomoters were waiting for ... open up your trackside restaurants, start taking bookings and start racing.

Ah hang on ....... just thought you cannot see the racing from the "restaurant"  behind the pits at Eastbounre, nor from the "restaurant" under the grandstand at Sittingbourne.

How are other UK tracks fixed for a trackside dining experience?

10 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I am cheered  by reading hte news in this weeks Speedway Star that sepctators are going to be allowed into speedway stadiums in Sweden.

The enterprising Swedish promoters have declared that their track restaurants will be open for business and will take bookings for meals to allow spectators to watch the racing.

This must be the way forward that the British  PRomoters were waiting for ... open up your trackside restaurants, start taking bookings and start racing.

Ah hang on ....... just thought you cannot see the racing from the "restaurant"  behind the pits at Eastbounre, nor from the "restaurant" under the grandstand at Sittingbourne.

You can't see the racing when queuing for coffee at King's Lynn, that system could never work in the UK. 

Just kidding, if you took your time eating you wouldn't have to wear a mask at all. 

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

How will this work given that dining at most Swedish tracks is more rudimentary than British ones?