British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Berry9

Stuart Robson

Stuart must have been a very popular rider amongst his peers the star studded line up for his farewell meeting on 21st March  is very impressive 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 12:18 PM, Berry9 said:

Stuart must have been a very popular rider amongst his peers the star studded line up for his farewell meeting on 21st March  is very impressive 

What is the lineup as I've not seen it? Also is there an address etc for people to send donations 4 people who can't attend the meeting and Stuart if you're reading this I would rather get someone to give it to you personally if not myself!!

11 minutes ago, mike7164 said:

What is the lineup as I've not seen it? Also is there an address etc for people to send donations 4 people who can't attend the meeting and Stuart if you're reading this I would rather get someone to give it to you personally if not myself!!

It's a Pairs Meeting, but here are the riders 

Lewis Kerr
Kevin Doolan
Aaron Summers
Danny King
Jordan Stewart
Paul Starke
Ellis Perks
Ulrich Ostergaard (unlikely to be there as he is stuck in Denmark due to the lock down due to the Coronavirus)
Anders Rowe
Sam Masters
Emil Grondal
Craig Cook
Marius Hillebrand
Michael Palm Toft
Nick Skorja
Andreas Jensen.

There is also match races between Steve Wilcock and Geoff Pusey

Edited by StevePark
  • Thanks 1

Id go Cookie. How old are Steve Wilcock and Geoff Pussy :blink:

Scrap that.Just seen it's pairs :oops:

Edited by Bald Bloke

11 hours ago, StevePark said:

Lewis Kerr
Kevin Doolan
Aaron Summers
Danny King
Jordan Stewart
Paul Starke
Ellis Perks
Ulrich Ostergaard (unlikely to be there as he is stuck in Denmark due to the lock down due to the Coronavirus)
Anders Rowe
Sam Masters
Emil Grondal
Craig Cook
Marius Hillebrand
Michael Palm Toft
Nick Skorja
Andreas Jensen.

I hope Robbo has a great day he was a terrific servant   a damn good rider i always got mixed up with  Stuart/ Scott.

Edited by Sidney the robin

I'd say that considering his career that's quite a poor line up, hopefully there's a big crowd.

• Like 1

I sincerely hope it is not cancelled as I am looking forward to this , also my friend and I have spent quite a bit on sponsorship for this meeting. Is the Ben fund going to be the only meeting for the forseeable future? Hope not, I need my speedway fix.

3 hours ago, JCookie said:

I'd say that considering his career that's quite a poor line up, hopefully there's a big crowd.

I hope so to as Stuart has been a good servant to all of his clubs. On the line up, sadly these days the top riders don't seem to want to turn out for their fellow riders anymore, you only need to look at the Ben Fund line up from not that many years ago where quite a number of SGP riders would be there to where we are now, and that is no slight on the riders who have given their time for todays meeting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

I hope so to as Stuart has been a good servant to all of his clubs. On the line up, sadly these days the top riders don't seem to want to turn out for their fellow riders anymore, you only need to look at the Ben Fund line up from not that many years ago where quite a number of SGP riders would be there to where we are now, and that is no slight on the riders who have given their time for todays meeting.

Quite agree Screm. It would be such a shame for both Stuart and the public if this benefit meeting for him was not allowed to go ahead. These events are better at the front or the end of a season, as it is not so easy to get such a field once the serious stuff starts. I still think the field is good, and I know that even with both Newcastle and Redcar in full attendance the terraces are going to be full, and I would recommend getting there early. Stuart started with Newcastle as his brother Scott was a team member with the DIamonds 93/4. Stuart used to do second halves at Brough, but had a habit of getting the 4th bend wrong with some horrific crashes. To save him more injuries, we sent him to Edinburgh for awhile to regain his confidence, but alas we didn't open in 1995 and Stuart moved on and then his Hull/Coventry days started. In the mid 00's, Stuart was riding as a doubling up rider for us, and his 4th benditis struck again, when his bike lifted at full throttle coming out of the 4th bend taking David Ruud with him, and it looked really serious for both riders. Stuart's bike rode over the fence and smashed the dog rail and its electrics. Stuart was left slumped against the fence gate whilst David Ruud lay motionless against the kick boards. David eventually got up and walked away OK, and I believe he rode at Exeter the next night. Stuart unfortunately had an injury and had to go to hospital,  proclaiming 'me bags burst'. I'll leave you to imagine which one that was. Miraculously he was OK otherwise, but the video of that crash was repeated many times and generally accepted as one of the most spectacular track crashes ever seen, and they both lived to ride another day. 

Robbo was always everyones favourite rider as he rode well for every club, and always gave his best. If he could have learnt to gate better he would have been a top rider, but then again we wouldn't have seen his tremendous battles from the back which he was famous for. Let's hope the meeting is allowed to go ahead and gives us all an opportunity to pay respects to Stuart who has to be one of the nicest guys in speedway.

NB if anybody can remember the name of the other rider let me know, and i'll add it to the text . He was called David and I think he was Swedish.

Edited by Tsunami

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Quite agree Screm. It would be such a shame for both Stuart and the public if this benefit meeting for him was not allowed to go ahead. These events are better at the front or the end of a season, as it is not so easy to get such a field once the serious stuff starts. I still think the field is good, and I know that even with both Newcastle and Redcar in full attendance the terraces are going to be full, and I would recommend getting there early. Stuart started with Newcastle as his brother Scott was a team member with the DIamonds 93/4. Stuart used to do second halves at Brough, but had a habit of getting the 4th bend wrong with some horrific crashes. To save him more injuries, we sent him to Edinburgh for awhile to regain his confidence, but alas we didn't open in 1995 and Stuart moved on and then his Hull/Coventry days started. In the mid 00's, Stuart was riding as a doubling up rider for us, and his 4th benditis struck again, when his bike lifted at full throttle coming out of the 4th bend taking David ? with him, and it looked really serious for both riders. Stuart's bike rode over the fence and smashed the dog rail and its electrics. Stuart was left slumped against the fence gate whilst David ? lay motionless against the kick boards. David eventually got up and walked away OK, and I believe he rode at Exeter the next night. Stuart unfortunately had an injury and had to go to hospital,  proclaiming 'me bags burst'. I'll leave you to imagine which one that was. Miraculously he was OK otherwise, but the video of that crash was repeated many times and generally accepted as one of the most spectacular track crashes ever seen, and they both lived to ride another day. 

Robbo was always everyones favourite rider as he rode well for every club, and always gave his best. If he could have learnt to gate better he would have been a top rider, but then again we wouldn't have seen his tremendous battles from the back which he was famous for. Let's hope the meeting is allowed to go ahead and gives us all an opportunity to pay respects to Stuart who has to be one of the nicest guys in speedway.

NB if anybody can remember the name of the other rider let me know, and i'll add it to the text . He was called David and I think he was Swedish.

Ruud.

Robbo was always great to interview (when I did the interviews for Bob Tasker/GRT Media).  Ask him a question and he would just talk (maybe for not as long as Neil Machin would, mind!).

Edited by StevePark
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, StevePark said:

Lewis Kerr
Kevin Doolan
Aaron Summers
Danny King
Jordan Stewart
Paul Starke
Ellis Perks
Anders Rowe
Sam Masters
Emil Grondal
Craig Cook
Marius Hillebrand
Michael Palm Toft
Nick Skorja
Andreas Jensen.

Skorja unlikely to be there as well as Slovenia is now in lock down & Andreas Jensen never ride in the ben fund today !! Wonder if he's stuck in the land of bacon 

1 hour ago, pienpeesman said:

Skorja unlikely to be there as well as Slovenia is now in lock down & Andreas Jensen never ride in the ben fund today !! Wonder if he's stuck in the land of bacon 

Andreas Jensen is stuck in Denmark, as is Nicolaj Klindt. Poland has postponed the first two weeks of their season according to Nicky Pedersen's facebook page. That is effectively a month as they are not due to start for two weeks. also at today's ben fund meeting it was rumoured that most of the Aussies had booked flights back home as they don't want to be stuck in Europe or the UK.

9 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Quite agree Screm. It would be such a shame for both Stuart and the public if this benefit meeting for him was not allowed to go ahead. These events are better at the front or the end of a season, as it is not so easy to get such a field once the serious stuff starts. I still think the field is good, and I know that even with both Newcastle and Redcar in full attendance the terraces are going to be full, and I would recommend getting there early. Stuart started with Newcastle as his brother Scott was a team member with the DIamonds 93/4. Stuart used to do second halves at Brough, but had a habit of getting the 4th bend wrong with some horrific crashes. To save him more injuries, we sent him to Edinburgh for awhile to regain his confidence, but alas we didn't open in 1995 and Stuart moved on and then his Hull/Coventry days started. In the mid 00's, Stuart was riding as a doubling up rider for us, and his 4th benditis struck again, when his bike lifted at full throttle coming out of the 4th bend taking David Ruud with him, and it looked really serious for both riders. Stuart's bike rode over the fence and smashed the dog rail and its electrics. Stuart was left slumped against the fence gate whilst David Ruud lay motionless against the kick boards. David eventually got up and walked away OK, and I believe he rode at Exeter the next night. Stuart unfortunately had an injury and had to go to hospital,  proclaiming 'me bags burst'. I'll leave you to imagine which one that was. Miraculously he was OK otherwise, but the video of that crash was repeated many times and generally accepted as one of the most spectacular track crashes ever seen, and they both lived to ride another day. 

Hi Dave, as you have rightly added it was David Ruud and the season was 2003 with bjannre pedrson on the job share

• Like 1

I fear this season will be a washout. Maybe a curtailed season starting in July. 

• Like 1