British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

Personally i can't see it starting on time myself.Coronavirus has got a grip now and i think we have to let it pass.

Having just seen Poland has banned any foreigners entering the country as of Sunday.This will have a big affect on speedway as a whole too.

Wishing everyone to stay fit and healthy ready for whenever the season does start.

Edited by tellboy

41 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Personally i can't see it starting on time myself.Coronavirus has got a grip now and i think we have to let it pass.

Having just seen Poland has banned any foreigners entering the country as of Sunday.This will have a big affect on speedway as a whole too.

Wishing everyone to stay fit and healthy ready for whenever the season does start.

Yes my sister is in Poland at present, everything closed.

Not sure about premiership but someone on discussion thread with Peter oakes, on Twitter,  raised the question of Edinburgh and Glasgow being able to race as Scotland banning events with more than 500 people

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

This isn't good for a struggling speedway country at all. I read Man UTD will loose £2 mil for every home game behind closed doors, but that's nowt to them. But speedway can't afford to ride with no fans.Even 1 meeting would be very  damaging. My worry would be that in a normal season we struggle to get all the fixtures completed. :(

I suppose with a heavy use of guests and speedway crowds always being sketchy at best, 500 fans might just allow it to go on in some capacity.

Edited by Bald Bloke

12 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

This isn't good for a struggling speedway country at all. I read Man UTD will loose £2 mil for every home game behind closed doors, but that's nowt to them. But speedway can't afford to ride with no fans.Even 1 meeting would be very  damaging. My worry would be that in a normal season we struggle to get all the fixtures completed. :(

I suppose with a heavy use of guests and speedway crowds always being sketchy at best, 500 fans might just allow it to go on in some capacity.

Can't believe they would run any meeting without fans..

Given the rules they make up, the sport pretty much only exists in this country to allow riders to earn money, rather than be a bona fide sporting competition, so there wouldn't be any point letting them do that with zero income stream. 

Allied to the fact that most only rent where they race, so many would surely struggle to pay the costs of putting a meeting on without any fanbase paying to attend..

Maybe some '500 max' individual meetings may get organised in the interim to keep riders earning and venues receiving rent from their Speedway tenants?

This could result in the end of Speedway in this country

• Like 2

In short, no matter how serious or unserious people think this virus is, it is going to affect british speedway in a very bad way. 

10 minutes ago, Speedster15 said:

I would say don't panic. But everyone should panic right now.

So many problems are going to come up unless the coronavirus can be contained sooner rather than later. Poland can dictate whenever they want and rider availability could become a bigger issue than ever before. Virtually no chance any club is going to race behind closed doors as it's financial suicide. 

I hope it doesn't come to the following but I do fear the worst for British Speedway as a whole.

Postpone, Postpone, Postpone, Reschedule, Reschedule, Reschedule, Poland rearranging fixtures to a date that Britain already has booked in without a care in the world knowing riders will ride in Poland over Britain. Sweden will follow suit and then Britain will be up the creek worse than ever before with situations such as stadium and rider availability, lack of dates to run fixtures due to various reasons, big financial problems etc.

That don't sound like a statement from a very close person to the Panthers team/owners to me. Very un professional of you:rofl:

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

That don't sound like a statement from a very close person to the Panthers team/owners to me. Very un professional of you:rofl:

On this occasion it seems to me like someone telling it as it is

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

On this occasion it seems to me like someone telling it as it is

Telling it like he/she sees it. But don't sound like someone  close to their owners/management:t:

• Like 1

Just now, Bald Bloke said:

Telling it like he/she sees it. But don't sound like someone  close to their owners/management:t:

Possibly but now in contrition mode.  Still think I am right

1 minute ago, wealdstone said:

Possibly but now in contrition mode.  Still think I am right

You might be. Who knows ;)

1 minute ago, Speedster15 said:

Better to be straight up honest and face the situation head on rather than lie and say everything is going to be alright, nobody has anything to worry about etc.

It is not what you would expect from a business though :P

22 minutes ago, Speedster15 said:

Better to be straight up honest and face the situation head on rather than lie and say everything is going to be alright, nobody has anything to worry about etc.

You only have to look around a read the news to see that you couldn't say that anyway. It's bad now and only going to get worse before it gets better. Premiership will not start on time, if at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Speedster15 said:

Literally nothing else I could say in response to the topic. 

I could have straight up lied by saying the Coronavirus will have no impact financially, Riders will be available 7 days a week, Stadiums will be available to clubs whenever they wish, Re-arranging fixtures will be a doddle etc. 

Clubs play it as safe as they can. With your statements, you are not;)