British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

Just now, Speedster15 said:

If you assume that I own or run the club then the answer is no I don't. I am involved in some capacity though and I shall leave it at that. 

Secretary ?  Can't be many actual roles in a speedway club these days surely..

• Like 1

I'd be amazed if we see a season at all. 

Genuinely, I think after tomorrow that will be it until 2021.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crump99 said:

You only have to look around a read the news to see that you couldn't say that anyway. It's bad now and only going to get worse before it gets better. Premiership will not start on time, if at all.

It isn't bad now in the slightest. 

Yes it will get worse, but to suggest its bad right now is just nonsense.

400,000 to 700,000 die every year from influenza for example. This particularly virus has taken 5000 lives so far worldwide, barely a blip.

This is what's scary when people are so panicked over such small figures (compared to what happens every year)... christ knows what they'll be like if and when it shoots up.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

400,000 to 700,000 die every year from influenza for example. This particularly virus has taken 5000 lives so far worldwide, barely a blip.

This is what's scary when people are so panicked over such small figures (compared to what happens every year)... christ knows what they'll be like if and when it shoots up.

You're actually impossible on nearly every thread you contribute to now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Secretary ?  Can't be many actual roles in a speedway club these days surely..

There is only one functional decision making role at a Buster owned club.

5 hours ago, BWitcher said:

I think the biggest issue is the death rate. In Italy its running at 6% the 'normal flu' runs at about 0.1% in Europe. Then you have the speed this thing seems to double in cases every 3 to 4 days. Like you I thought its just flu until I read up on it. 

Then you have to factor in that several countries including Poland are in the process of closing their boarders. 

8 hours ago, acef said:

I'd be amazed if we see a season at all. 

Genuinely, I think after tomorrow that will be it until 2021.

Think only meeting in this country this year could well be the Cardiff GP.

Don't think there will be a domestic league of any kind this year unless it begins in July ( conditions permitting ). I don't think there will be a GP season either unless that also starts late and is a shortened version.

22 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Think only meeting in this country this year could well be the Cardiff GP.

Hasn't the rugby been cancelled at that venue today, so maybe the GP won't happen either. 

Seema like some of the aussie riders are going home. 

Sounds to me that the whole season will be scrapped this year. Thus causing maybe clubs to close and riders to retire 

5 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

You're actually impossible on nearly every thread you contribute to now.

So you don't think it will get worse then eh?

The severity of this virus and the impact it is going to have on British speedway will become clear over the next week or so.

This is one almighty s##tstorm. There will be a number of clubs, who imo, will not survive this.

Will have to take stock in March of next and what is left that could/would resemble a sport.

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Just not fully hit yet - "a pandemic is declared when a new disease for which people do not have immunity spreads around the world beyond expectations."

You make a fair point to some extent regarding numbers and disease comparison but I do hit panic and prevention mode from the off, and take note of events and advice, rather than your it'll be ok on the night approach. I'd be more than pleased to be worrying over nothing. Who are Wolves playing tomorrow (I think that you support them?).

I assume that you e-mailed Nuno Espirito Santo and told him "christ knows what you'd be like if this was serious"  when he and his players were on lockdown ahead of their Europa League last-16 clash and did not attend Uefa’s traditional pre-match press conference.

Edited by Crump99

26 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Hasn't the rugby been cancelled at that venue today, so maybe the GP won't happen either. 

But GP not until mid July things should have improved by then.

21 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Seema like some of the aussie riders are going home. 

Sounds to me that the whole season will be scrapped this year. Thus causing maybe clubs to close and riders to retire 

That’s the impression I got yesterday as well.

This thing ain’t peaking for around 6 weeks.

As it stands this is a real, proper mess for the sport.

I don’t think it’s coming back from this.