British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

1 minute ago, Wolfie456 said:

But GP not until mid July things should have improved by then.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised

35 minutes ago, acef said:

The severity of this virus and the impact it is going to have on British speedway will become clear over the next week or so.

This is one almighty s##tstorm. There will be a number of clubs, who imo, will not survive this.

Will have to take stock in March of next and what is left that could/would resemble a sport.

I think its significant the way 'smaller' sports have reacted..

eg lower league football and rugby..

They are still playing domestic games with around 500 to a few thousand watching..

And for me it's because they dont have massive sponsorship to fall back on and wages need to be paid whether playing or not..

Speedway may be bomb proof from this if only paying out points money but riders will have spent lots of money on kit, (maybe on finance/credit) so will need income from somewhere.. 

And landlords will want the agreed rent I am sure..

Worrying times I would suggest for a sport which many sometimes sees 'survival' as a measure of success even in a 'normal' year...

2 hours ago, Spl77 said:

I think the biggest issue is the death rate. In Italy its running at 6% the 'normal flu' runs at about 0.1% in Europe. Then you have the speed this thing seems to double in cases every 3 to 4 days. Like you I thought its just flu until I read up on it. 

Then you have to factor in that several countries including Poland are in the process of closing their boarders. 

I can see every country closing their borders.. 

The W.H.O. have been focused on ensuring the poorer countries that have poor medical care. Eg In Africa, Far East Asia, Sub Continent etc dont get it in great numbers as that will lead to many deaths..

However, the 'first world' simply dont now/wont going forward, have enough capability to deal with their own people never mind ''visitors'...

2 hours ago, acef said:

That’s the impression I got yesterday as well.

This thing ain’t peaking for around 6 weeks.

As it stands this is a real, proper mess for the sport.

I don’t think it’s coming back from this.

Which Aussie riders have gone home ? 

Ryan Douglas is big mates with him & not sure if they were living together this year. It would not surprise me if he goes as well.

Just now, IronScorpion said:

Ryan Douglas is big mates with him & not sure if they were living together this year. It would not surprise me if he goes as well.

Has been mentioned on the Wolves thread he might be going with him.

1 hour ago, Gasser90 said:

Which Aussie riders have gone home ? 

Nick Morris and Douglas so far.

I was told yesterday by a rider that they have all pretty much been briefed on what is coming.

Basically sport will be suspended. For how long I don't know.

My opinion as it stands is that we won't see a season at all here.

2 hours ago, Speedster15 said:

Nick Morris going home tonight as well.

Does their work Visa detail a specific role to be done over here?

Would make sense if they are going home as they may not be able to get alternative employment?

Hence 'no work' no income?

It would also suggest that this isn't going to be a 'few weeks' of an issue.. 

Very short season from July to October no playoffs or cup competitions

could have GPs every weekend to get them in and no Speedway of Nations

People have been ringing up 111 because they have been using kitchen appliances made in China, and my local Chinese takeaway is 75% down on customers. Human ignorance has no bounds :rolleyes:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

People have been ringing up 111 because they have been using kitchen appliances made in China, and my local Chinese takeaway is 75% down on customers. Human ignorance has no bounds :rolleyes:

I had two women literally fighting over the last packet of paracetamol in my shop last night..

One woman picked it up and another snatched it from her as she had gone for it at virtually the same time.. 

They kicked off an argument and the one who got there seconds late wouldn't give it to the other woman so the one who had got there first gave the other a proper good right hander to the head, knocking her clean over and she landed like a snotty heap on the floor..

I would suggest she needed the paracetamol after all..

A certain irony. .:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Perhaps league meetings are scrapped and each track runs a British Championship individual event with every rider left over here in the U.K. drawn to compete in x number of meetings. A weekly draw of eligible riders for those tracks that are still able to run. In effect you could see a Jason Crump quality of ride drawn to ride at the Isle if Wight. Spread the riders around to ensure as many tracks as possible can put on a good meeting and see some decent revenue. It really does not matter which track operates in which league, time for all to pull together for the good of the sport. I am sure something could be worked out if league meetings are a no go and better people than me can come up with a formula.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Very short season from July to October no playoffs or cup competitions

could have GPs every weekend to get them in and no Speedway of Nations

GP's every weekend - YES PLEASE

After the bspa meeting on tues and with the number of riders not traveling here from europe already, I would not expect any meetings in the UK until an all clear for spectators at sporting events is announced by the govt.

Edited by A ORLOV