British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

I genuinely believe this will kill British Speedway stone cold dead. 

As said, most attending are over 60 & have been going for their lifetime. 

Once the habits are broken the majority will not come back to Speedway. 

This virus may not kill as many of the elderly as first expected but it most certainly will kill this sport. 

• Like 5

Only goes to show that speedway was really reliant on paying customers being attracted though the turnstiles, its a pity its taken something like this for some promotions to finally realise this was the case. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

This virus may not kill as many of the elderly as first expected but it most certainly will kill this sport. 

I suspect this will hit badly a lot of sports. For many, watching sport is a habit. Plenty of opportunity, in the months to come, to get out of the habit.

10 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think you are right

I think we will have a very short season if any racing takes place at all. 

The Premiership and Championship are going to have massive problems with riders who race in other countries not being available due to fixture congestion everywhere.

The only league that has a chance of running a meaningful short season is the NDL which the two top leagues seem to want to kill by next year so I fear they will say that if the top two can't run then the NDL is not allowed to. 

• Like 2

In response to my own question.It won't start on time imo.But if we lose a couple of months at the start of the season why can't we go back to the old days and run up to the end of October.Push the play-offs into a couple of weeks rather than how it is spaced out now.I'm sure the clubs could survive like that.The only problem that may arise is how many months they could lose due to the virus.If it's a couple i think they could survive,anything longer and it could become a serious problem.

16 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Someone said on the Ben Fund meeting updates that any sport that requires an ambulance to be on stand by wont be permitted to run irrespective of crowd size

That would make sense..

I would imagine all ambulances will be instructed to be on standby 'just in case'...

Having one parked up for the best part of three hours or more wouldn't be seen as being best use I would think..

5 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the government will compensate any sport clubs affected by this mass gatherings ban if it comes to that

Phil, I wouldn’t hold out any hope of financial help for speedway. Trillions will be wanted by airlines, business, hospitals, social services, football etc etc...speedway will be well well down the list, if it’s even on it.
Many Clubs and the sport were already in financial mess before Coronavirus and all riders are self employed and sadly won’t be helped.

This is now a worldwide disaster of epic proportions and the ruin of speedway is just a very minor consequence. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the government will compensate any sport clubs affected by this mass gatherings ban if it comes to that

No way will the government open themselves to this, they wont even compensate people who need to self isolate except to give them an extra £20 in the first week.

They expect people on minimum wage who live from one wage packet to the next to take a massive drop in wages for one or two weeks minimum, so sport or any other industry wont get compensation

If by some miracle the season does start. They could scrap the cup fixtures and run A league matches only. It's not ideal, but could be a solution.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If by some miracle the season does start. They could scrap the cup fixtures and run A league matches only. It's not ideal, but could be a solution.

Better still, scrap the league and just have a cup competition and the league play-offs.

25 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

No way will the government open themselves to this, they wont even compensate people who need to self isolate except to give them an extra £20 in the first week.

They expect people on minimum wage who live from one wage packet to the next to take a massive drop in wages for one or two weeks minimum, so sport or any other industry wont get compensation

Of course, the devil is in the details. The govt have announced support for businesses, but these are likely to be in the form of loans and could even include personal guarantees. As you say, they are unlikely to throw free money at companies who suffer losses.

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Only goes to show that speedway was really reliant on paying customers being attracted though the turnstiles, its a pity its taken something like this for some promotions to finally realise this was the case. 

Yep, and one in particular who are melting down in front of our eyes on this forum aswell. There's a lesson to be learned for them in particular that's for sure. 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:31 PM, The Third Man said:

From next week speedway will be banned unless it is limited to 500 spectators

and if that were the case would the 500 limit include people in the pits as that would be 70+ people down on the 500 paying straight off

• Like 1