British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

While it is being reviewed on April 15 th don t think it will start anytime soon after that given the way other sports have reacted with their time scales.

I truly have a deal of sympathy for  all concerned as many will face hardship or worse, and are in denial mode.    Anybody who thinks the season will start mid april are in cloud cuckoo land 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

As expected all speedway meetings have been suspended and the situation will be reviewed on April 15th

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.37980

I’ve had an email from the ACU stating that all motorcycle competition is suspended until at least 30th April, as the ACU is the governing body of motorcycle sport in the UK then I suspect the speedway cannot start again on 15th April and must adhere to what ACU state, 

I can see a May start for speedway as I see maybe mid april as a time where cases of covid19 will start decreasing (depends what sites you read and what you believe).

I think if the BSPA can run at least one home vs one away meeting I.e. league tie for the prem then straight into the play offs at least there will be some top flight speedway 

What they could do also to help british riders is extend the British championship to a 7 round series at each prem stadium and offset 50% of the gate into prize money to help the riders against costs and loss of earnings through less league meetings

• Like 1

Ultimately the league season will have to be written off as a whole.

A few tracks that will be able to get up and running in the summer/autumn with only a limited fixture list and a very limited SGP in the autumn will be possible in certain countries.

I dont expect any more than that.

3 hours ago, Speedster15 said:

Him too. 

After all you guys have always said that I needed to see a Quack. 

I think the word you're looking for is Shrink...;)

33 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

I can see a May start for speedway as I see maybe mid april as a time where cases of covid19 will start decreasing (depends what sites you read and what you believe).

I think if the BSPA can run at least one home vs one away meeting I.e. league tie for the prem then straight into the play offs at least there will be some top flight speedway 

What they could do also to help british riders is extend the British championship to a 7 round series at each prem stadium and offset 50% of the gate into prize money to help the riders against costs and loss of earnings through less league meetings

deluded no chance !!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Not a chance, even the end of May is very doubtful

The government is planning now for three months, so add another month onto that and we might start in August, never know first meeting we can attend might be Cardiff if we are lucky

When it does start it will be a very truncated season probably with just league meetings with no play offs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

Not a chance...get real mate, this is a serious unprecedented situation that is with us for a significant period of time...the BSPA statement that they will monitor the situation 15 April 2020 is grossly misleading....and as such totally irresponsible...speedway will not run! 

• Like 1

Lots of different things being posted by different media. Truth is nobody actually knows anything about what is planned or what will be planned other than the short term. If you believe april may june july august or no racing that you prerogative 

2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Not a chance season is over mate

5 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

Not a chance season is over mate

Ridiculous. It might be but who the hell can be certain as this stage ffs!

It's not big or clever. Just wait and see!. 

Yes, it's an opinion. So's this. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Ridiculous. It might be but who the hell can be certain as this stage ffs!

It's not big or clever. Just wait and see!. 

Yes, it's an opinion. So's this. 

It's not ridiculous. 

Not sure why you've even said about being big and clever also. Bit weird that.

it's massively unlikely that the nhs will have the resources to even discharge the sja and other private firms that will be bailing us out up til probably late summer.  

i've had to cancel a few weekends away already so i'm gutted too, but it's the reality of the situation. 

If we're lucky to get a big individual meeting at each track before the clocks go back we will be doing well i think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

It's not ridiculous. 

Not sure why you've even said about being big and clever also. Bit weird that.

it's massively unlikely that the nhs will have the resources to even discharge the sja and other private firms that will be bailing us out up til probably late summer.  

i've had to cancel a few weekends away already so i'm gutted too, but it's the reality of the situation. 

If we're lucky to get a big individual meeting at each track before the clocks go back we will be doing well i think.

Thats probably the best to be hoped for I would think..

Logistically putting together a fixture list will be a nightmare given how many meetings will need to take place in such a short time, (especially with so many riders doubling up)..

You will end up with teams full of guests which whilst giving the riders time to catch up some of the lost earnings will deter a sizeable number of fans I would think..

Running individual meetings will at least have credibilty and maybe could be ran using some of the team sponsors' money that hasn't been spent this year? Meaning some decent prize pots?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Logistically putting together a fixture list will be a nightmare given how many meetings will need to take place in such a short time, (especially with so many riders doubling up)..

You will end up with teams full of guests....

In addition:

1  Poland, Sweden, Denmark etc will also be trying to squeeze in a few fixtures

2  Some Australians won't bother returning for a short season

3  Airline schedules will probably still be in a state of disarray

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

In addition:

1  Poland, Sweden, Denmark etc will also be trying to squeeze in a few fixtures

2  Some Australians won't bother returning for a short season

3  Airline schedules will probably still be in a state of disarray

Agree - It will be very difficult particularly if the start is later into the summer and the window shorter

If that's the case I'd like to see thought now into a revamped competition to suit those riders available and the time available.

This could be team based or individual but IMO needs to be a co-ordinated effort rather than ad hoc offerings from clubs