British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

I suspect that the 2021 season may possibly start on time, although the announcememnt today that " Covid 19 is here to stay until an effective vaccine is available" . Bearing in mind that the vast majority of supporters are in or near the vulnerable elderly category, there may not be many of them risking a trip to the speedway in 2021.

Not to mention the number of volunteer track staff who fall in the 'should be self-isolating category'

Speedway isn't starting this year, even if a place where it is reached events can resume with crowds under 5,000 (really, really unlikely) no one is wasting medical resource on a would be speedway crash etc and so on - motor sport in general let alone speedway will be well down the list of things to restart. 

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

12 hours ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

Speedway isn't starting this year, even if a place where it is reached events can resume with crowds under 5,000 (really, really unlikely) no one is wasting medical resource on a would be speedway crash etc and so on - motor sport in general let alone speedway will be well down the list of things to restart

Think the above is the main future issue.  Social distancing is certainly doable in outdoor speedway stadia, possibly not the more enclosed arenas like Cardiff, but think medical cover will be very difficult to secure....

Edited by martinmauger
belated spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JCookie said:

Has any speedway meeting *ever* started on time?

Those that went to Brandon in the era of Charles Ochiltree certainly saw every match starting on time ( unless cirumstances beyond the promoters control - eg UK weather prevented it ) . Always Prompt. But elsewhere, this century , I doubt it.

• Like 2

When I was logging the start time of meetings I've attended Wolves would have the first race starting at 7:40pm.

I remember Swindon had a period when the parade was prior to 7:30pm and first race started at 7:30pm. 

Edited by Lefty
Spelling

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Think the above is the main future issue.  Social distancing is doable in outdoor speedway stadia, possible not the more enclosed arenas like Cardiff, but think medical cover will be very difficult to secure....

To get to the point where such larger gatherings can take place again the pressure on the NHS will be much reduced from the current position so it may not be the problem that it seems it could be right now

• Like 1

I think you COULD see some action this year but there is no way they could run a league of any merit.

Some people have been told around June but that's a bit unrealistic I think speedway could start again July/August but not much speedway to be got in before poor weather wipes meetings out.

Maybe some open meetings in August/September perhaps 

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Can't see social distancing being relaxed until Christmas earliest,,,, no speedway this year. 

What year  :neutral:

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Can't see social distancing being relaxed until Christmas earliest,,,, no speedway this year. 

Yes I take back what I said, I've just read what the chief medical officer has said looks like no amateur sport either taking place until 2021 by amateur I mean local football Sunday league stuff

Seems only those sports with a big broadcasting deal might be able to put something together tho with no fans.

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

Yes I take back what I said, I've just read what the chief medical officer has said looks like no amateur sport either taking place until 2021 by amateur I mean local football Sunday league stuff

Seems only those sports with a big broadcasting deal might be able to put something together tho with no fans.

It is all doom and gloom at the moment, but a lot can change in a few months time. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Cant see football happening behind closed doors until some relaxation of the lock down rules

what's the difference between a football match behind closed doors, the Germans say that up to 300 people would be involved in a TV match with no supporters, and 22 kids playing in a park? (apart from money that is)

bit hard to fine the kids for playing in a park while allowing professionals to the same thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1