British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

3 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Cant see football happening behind closed doors until some relaxation of the lock down rules

what's the difference between a football match behind closed doors, the Germans say that up to 300 people would be involved in a TV match with no supporters, and 22 kids playing in a park? (apart from money that is)

bit hard to fine the kids for playing in a park while allowing professionals to the same thing

All comes down to money on the football front.

The german Bundesliga looks likely to restart in May sometime behind closed doors, the premier league cant afford not to start and I guess if that returns it may give people a boost to watch sport from home even if there is limited atmosphere.

The power of the league I'm sure they can test squads and quarantine them until the end of the season and those working in the background to make the broadcast etc. Happen

It's far from ideal but it's been said for many years if the tv deal changed for the premier league then it could ruin a fair few clubs so they will complete it.

Not sure how that helps clubs outside in the lower leagues as they rely on gate receipts.

I was entering a side in my local sunday league next season normally start doing bits in May ready for a September start but unofficially have been told grassroots sunday league will be postponed until September 2021 

Crazy times let's hope there is some positivity soon for speedway 

17 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Cant see football happening behind closed doors until some relaxation of the lock down rules

what's the difference between a football match behind closed doors, the Germans say that up to 300 people would be involved in a TV match with no supporters, and 22 kids playing in a park? (apart from money that is)

bit hard to fine the kids for playing in a park while allowing professionals to the same thing

The difference is that we’ll have the testing capability for 3,000 football match (10 PL matches) participants but not the 15 million children across the country.

Edited by DC2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DC2 said:

The difference is that we’ll have the testing capability for 3,000 football match (10 PL matches) participants but not the 15 million children across the country.

And hopefully that is where people will see that football, is not really that important and all they are bothered about is getting the money from the TV companies

Just now, The Third Man said:

And hopefully that is where people will see that football, is not really that important and all they are bothered about is getting the money from the TV companies

Normally I find football boring but now I can’t wait for it to re-start!  Any sport will do!

Rob Godfrey has already said that Speedway can not afford to run behind closed doors.

Even if they allow Speedway to run with it’s comparative low crowds compared to bigger sports there are impossible hurdles..

social distancing... getting in to stadium... what time would you need to open to get everyone in safely

social distancing.. using toilets

social distancing .. food and drink ...I would imagine not allowed apart from being impractical

the sooner we announce that Speedway will hopefully start back in 2021 the better

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gunner85 said:

Rob Godfrey has already said that Speedway can not afford to run behind closed doors.

Even if they allow Speedway to run with it’s comparative low crowds compared to bigger sports there are impossible hurdles..

social distancing... getting in to stadium... what time would you need to open to get everyone in safely

social distancing .. food and drink ...I would imagine not allowed apart from being impractical

the sooner we announce that Speedway will hopefully start back in 2021 the better

Spot on 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

I imagine the BSPA will announce it on September 1st.

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

I imagine the BSPA will announce it on September 1st.

Then they will have there annual get together in November 

Would be a bit silly to announce that there will be no speedway this year to then go back on it should circumstances allow some racing in a few months time.  

Wait and see for the time being is probably the most sensible course of action. Plenty of time before Oct  31st to call the season off. 

• Like 3

I am sure some speedway will take place this year but nothing of any significance. Why dont we take this opportunity to experiment with new (and old) ideas?Why not try handicap racing , or perhaps changing the points scored in races to 4,3,2,0 to encourage team riding just as in the pairs competition ,what about trying out the old 13 heat+ second half used in the 70s.? Perhaps teams of 6 riders each or maybe 8  riders to bring more juniors along. Teams could have mini leagues of say 3 teams racing each other twice trying out a new formula ,which if sucessful could be used next year.

1 hour ago, Thornaby48 said:

I am sure some speedway will take place this year but nothing of any significance. Why dont we take this opportunity to experiment with new (and old) ideas?Why not try handicap racing , or perhaps changing the points scored in races to 4,3,2,0 to encourage team riding just as in the pairs competition ,what about trying out the old 13 heat+ second half used in the 70s.? Perhaps teams of 6 riders each or maybe 8  riders to bring more juniors along. Teams could have mini leagues of say 3 teams racing each other twice trying out a new formula ,which if sucessful could be used next year.

Or going the other way round!!:rofl:

Whatever time it starts we know that Doyle, !ambert, Kurtz, Lidsey Bewley, Batchelor, Pedersen, won’t be available to the UK for 2020 unless there ridiculous Polish contracts can be challenged. 

Edited by stevebrum
Names added

9 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Whatever time it starts we know that Doyle, !ambert, Fricke, Batchelor, Pedersen, won’t be available to the UK for 2020 unless there ridiculous Polish contracts can be challenged. 

Yes they will as soon as travel/quarantine restrictions have been lifted and that will be well before British Speedway can start.

10 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Yes they will as soon as travel/quarantine restrictions have been lifted and that will be well before British Speedway can start.

They will have to challenge the Polish contracts first tho surely? They are signing to say they won’t ride in any other leagues?

13 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

They will have to challenge the Polish contracts first tho surely? They are signing to say they won’t ride in any other leagues?

No they haven't agreed to not riding in other leagues, they have agreed to stay in Poland and can't leave at moment else will have to go through another 2 weeks quarantine.