British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

50 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Whatever time it starts we know that Doyle, !ambert, Fricke, Batchelor, Pedersen, won’t be available to the UK for 2020 unless there ridiculous Polish contracts can be challenged. 

Add Dan Bewley to that list.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rob B said:

No they haven't agreed to not riding in other leagues, they have agreed to stay in Poland and can't leave at moment else will have to go through another 2 weeks quarantine.

That’s not what some of the riders are saying and why the various federations aren’t happy. 

Lambert already stated in this weeks SS that he is expected to stay in Poland for the season. 

14 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

And remove Fricke.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

And NKI i presume ...

17 minutes ago, Rob B said:

And remove Fricke.

Ooops updated. Also to include Kurtz and Lidsey who are confirmed for ZG. 

10 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Whatever time it starts we know that Doyle, !ambert, Kurtz, Lidsey Bewley, Batchelor, Pedersen, won’t be available to the UK for 2020 unless there ridiculous Polish contracts can be challenged. 

That'll be the "ridiculous" Polish contracts that are still paying the riders you've mentioned plenty more money than they'd be on with their normal UK contracts despite a hefty Polish pay cut to reflect TV-money only rather than gate-receipts as well.

All this at a time when the Poles are on the verge of racing while there is absolutely no chance of any UK action before August given the latest government hints and the plans already published of other UK sports.

Which of these statistics is the more "ridiculous" ?  -  Polish coronavirus deaths so far, 21 per million-population  -  UK , 460 per million-population  !!

"Ridiculous Polish contracts" or ridiculous for riders and their machinery not to go and earn some good money with no alternatives elsewhere for at least the next 3 months that's only risking missing out on a few weeks of ordinary money in the UK that might never take place anyway. ? !! 

One other thing, looking ahead to 2021 - if you don't make the effort to ride in Poland this year, good luck getting the deal you want there next year when hopefully all of speedway is returning much closer to pre-coronavirus days. 

It's only your UK-blinkered view that's hopelessly naive and "ridiculous", not the Polish contracts given the current coronavirus circumstances. 

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, arthur cross said:

That'll be the "ridiculous" Polish contracts that are still paying the riders you've mentioned plenty more money than they'd be on with their normal UK contracts despite a hefty Polish pay cut to reflect TV-money only rather than gate-receipts as well.

All this at a time when the Poles are on the verge of racing while there is absolutely no chance of any UK action before August given the latest government hints and the plans already published of other UK sports.

Which of these statistics is the more "ridiculous" ?  -  Polish coronavirus deaths so far, 21 per million-population  -  UK , 460 per million-population  !!

"Ridiculous Polish contracts" or ridiculous for riders and their machinery not to go and earn some good money with no alternatives elsewhere for at least the next 3 months that's only risking missing out on a few weeks of ordinary money in the UK that might never take place anyway. ? !! 

One other thing, looking ahead to 2021 - if you don't make the effort to ride in Poland this year, good luck getting the deal you want there next year when hopefully all of speedway is returning much closer to pre-coronavirus days. 

It's only your UK-blinkered view that's hopelessly naive and "ridiculous", not the Polish contracts given the current coronavirus circumstances. 

Thank God Arthur for some sanity.

I challenge anyone offered the chance to work for very good money indeed better than available anywhere, not to take up that opportunity.

To hear the bleatings of some on various forums and social media, you would think speedway riders were being kidnapped, taken as speed slaves to some god-forsaken hole and mal and mistreated.

The Poles have made it clear that there will be a significant reduction in pay, strict travel conditions and a need to abide by Polish rules. Anyone going is going with their eyes wide open, anyone not has the right to decide.

Britain is still letting 15,000 people in per day with no testing, no quarantine and the excuse in the Papers today that "if doesn't matter as the Covid rates are so high anyway" is the most inhumane stupidity ever hear. The sooner UK adopts Polish Border regulations the better.

Those LUCKY enough to be invited to join a Polish top tier Team have 2 considerations (a) do I want to leave family and friends and go over there for possibly 4 months (b) do I want to ride speedway and earn some money. Simple as that.

Anyone thinking as we now are that there is going to be ANY Speedway in the UK in front of anything more than 50 people (e.g practice) before October is I think living in cloud cuckoo land.

Any Speedway anywhere in Europe in 2020 is almost certain to be behind closed doors and that includes SGP.

The only chance I see of Speedway in UK this year is possibly a variant of SON at Belle Vue right at the very end of October (basically with any Nation who'll turn up) and possibly a few Challenges / Testimonials and Individuals from the handful of Clubs who can either afford to race in front of very small crowds or who can find ways of encouraging enough to come out and take the risk.

If we can start "on time" early April 2021; I think that right now, that would be an absolute result.  The stark fact is that we may still be in some form of strict crowd control and social distancing measures well in to the summer of 2021.

• Like 1

I think this could be just the opportunity the Poles need to push ahead with exclusive contracts as the norm......

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what happens if the UK introduce the much rumoured 14 day quarantine for all incoming air passengers. 

2 hours ago, rusky said:

It will be interesting to see what happens if the UK introduce the much rumoured 14 day quarantine for all incoming air passengers. 

It means that UK Speedway will have to run (if it does) on its own resources. 

Decisions, decisions ---UK Premiership Speedway will decide to run on the nights it wants to and hang the rest in the CL, NL

5 hours ago, arthur cross said:

Nothing ‘blinkered’ at all. Asking riders to quarantine before they ride is perfectly fine. No issue with that.

Asking riders to sign contracts (as mentioned by some of the riders) that say they CANNOT ride in any other country is the kind of thing we have become used to by the Polish Authorities. If this is allowed to happen then this action could see the closure of some teams in other countries. That cannot be allowed to happen.

Id imagine if any rider challenged the contract the authorities would be laughed out of court.

Now for the reality check. We know other countries have yet to get a start date so technically have no hold over any riders. That said each governing body has the absolute right to expect their own riders to stay loyal to their respective nations clubs. You can’t blame them, as they doing precisely what the Poles are doing. So if it’s good for then it’s good for other nations. 

There is this assumed idea that no other nation will get to see Speedway this year so Poland should be allowed to do what they want. Really? I’ve seen mentioned that this 2nd wave of infections will put paid to any action in the UK. If this is assumed are we then assuming Poland would be immune because they are a Speedway super power? I think not. 

You cannot blame the riders for going to Poland to earn a living, I certainly don’t. Riders should be free to choose if they want to ride elsewhere if and when it’s safe to do so and hopefully the riders will do just that when the time comes.

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I think this could be just the opportunity the Poles need to push ahead with exclusive contracts as the norm......

Sadly so do I. :nono:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HGould said:

If we can start "on time" early April 2021; I think that right now, that would be an absolute result.  The stark fact is that we may still be in some form of strict crowd control and social distancing measures well in to the summer of 2021.

You are right, I think that this would be the best we can hope for. But there are distinct possibilities that could mean we cannot run unti lthe summer of 2021  OR when a vaccine is widely available. 

• Thanks 1

The Ekstraliga has wanted exclusivity over riders for a few seasons now. If you look back far enough in this forum you will see the quote from their president at the time. This is the perfect excuse for them to implement that now. And that would cause a lot of pain for certainly Swedish, British and Danish domestic speedway. But Polish speedway seems to be able to do what it wants, even over World Championship levels, so it probably will happen through time.

6 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

And maybe the UK's chance to do the same and start finally to be in charge of their own destiny?

All be it at a lower level...