British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Will the premiership start on time?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the government will compensate any sport clubs affected by this mass gatherings ban if it comes to that

So, say the season does get cancelled and somehow clubs survive and start again  next year. What happens????? 

Would you build a  new team or have to stick to the 7 riders you had for this year????

6 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the government will compensate any sport clubs affected by this mass gatherings ban if it comes to that

Why would government compensate speedway clubs all we ever hear is they lose fortunes

• Like 1

Do many speedway clubs in the UK actually get 500 fans through the gates on a regular basis? 

Non league football gates increased yesterday as fans looked for a football "fix" 

Best thing to do .... quit social media and looking at the news as it's all doom and gloom. 

Remember those Chinese hospitals that had to be built in record time? Yesterday the final one was closed as there are not enough new cases of the virus to support them. The Chinese are now sending help to Italy. Italy have the biggest problem as they have the oldest population in Europe. The average age of deaths is 81 and of those that have died only 2% didn't have any existing medical conditions! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hans fan said:

Why would government compensate speedway clubs all we ever hear is they lose fortunes

Yes, but this is going to hit them far worse than ever before. Through no fault of there own, 

14 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Do many speedway clubs in the UK actually get 500 fans through the gates on a regular basis? 

Depends who's asking. Are you a potential sponsor or the taxman?

• Haha 4

The season has not really started yet apart from the one charity meeting last night, so what is there to actually lose, Its just an extended close season what do clubs lose in the close season ?. The biggest losers will probably be the riders who wont have any income for the months that its closed down. Medical services wont be required at Tracks, Track staff wont be needed, and i presume rent is paid as and when the track is used.

The big issue is when will large gatherings be allowed to be held again, when will riders be allowed to travel between countries again ?, that wont happen until such time that this pendemic is on a downward spiral, the fact is we are all in unknown territory and as such there is uncertainty everywhere the world over. Just look at the supermarket shelves that shows us how everyone is reacting.

11 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

This could finish Speedway as we know it for good in the UK. 

It’s a bit of a paradox though that most clubs claim to run at a loss so won’t no speedway this year be a saving grace?

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Hmmm. Not sure it’s right that any business should be compensated.

After all it’s a capitalist free market and lower profits or losses will result in less tax or rebates in any event.

And we’re all affected in different ways.

12 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

“Will the premiership start on time ?”  is the title of this thread. 

Hawk127 and The Third Man ......on another planet? 

No it wont

• Like 1

I genuinely believe this will kill British Speedway stone cold dead. 

As said, most attending are over 60 & have been going for their lifetime. 

Once the habits are broken the majority will not come back to Speedway. 

This virus may not kill as many of the elderly as first expected but it most certainly will kill this sport. 

• Like 5

Only goes to show that speedway was really reliant on paying customers being attracted though the turnstiles, its a pity its taken something like this for some promotions to finally realise this was the case. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

This virus may not kill as many of the elderly as first expected but it most certainly will kill this sport. 

I suspect this will hit badly a lot of sports. For many, watching sport is a habit. Plenty of opportunity, in the months to come, to get out of the habit.

10 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think you are right