British Speedway Forum

Must admit i am not interested in watching the gps again. Would rather search out the Club meetings that i have not seen before. Been IOW and Berwick ones mostly. IOW ones are done really well on Portal. The lad Barry seems to do a dance on them all. 

• Like 3

Is this the end of Speedway repeats for 2020   There must be several matches in stock over the years that were really close and full of good racing or must we have to watch  cycling nearly all day (Eurosport)   and Australian  Tennis B/T    Every other day ??

There are 'Re-wind' meetings on every night via facebook and/or You-Tube. See the SpeedwayGB website for those meetings advised by the various clubs.

There have been team fixtures and individual meetings featured in recent weeks.

Edited by Skidder1

So for those who pay for sky sports the 25 free to air football matches are not free, so skys so called gesture only benefits non sky sports subscription payers 

35 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

So for those who pay for sky sports the 25 free to air football matches are not free, so skys so called gesture only benefits non sky sports subscription payers 

These are extra matches that were not due to be televised live( ie Saturday 3pm`s ) so don`t see the problem.

Yes there additional matches but there not technically free to view to everyone  

Oh well that will be the end of the discount on my tv package. Even my bank sent me a message via my phone app recently , concerned that my Virgin bill was so much lower than normal  ..:D

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Yes there additional matches but there not technically free to view to everyone  

If you can`t get any of these then you are in trouble :)   Tune into Pick on Sky (152), Freeview (11) Freesat (144) and Virgin Media (123). Pick+1 can also be found on Sky (163).

On 4/10/2020 at 2:21 PM, The Cheese said:

Anyone who applied for the month's credit from BT Sport, this has now been extended to 2 months. Should be done automatically so no need to apply again. Looks as though they will add another too if there's no live sport in June.

Some live sport has returned but BT are giving 50% credit for June. Will be done automatically if you applied for previous months, if you haven't then it should be available on their website from June 1st.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:27 PM, racers and royals said:

If you can`t get any of these then you are in trouble :)   Tune into Pick on Sky (152), Freeview (11) Freesat (144) and Virgin Media (123). Pick+1 can also be found on Sky (163).

There is a technical difference between 'Free to Air' (FTA) and 'Free to View'. (FTV). 

FTA means the programme or channel is available to all without any paid for subscription and are shown without any encryption.

FTV still carries no cost but is encrypted so you would need to have a pay TV subscription box, either Sky, Virgin or BT even if the programme or channel itself doesn't have to be  paid for. 

So with FTV you have to be paying someone a subscription for other services. FTA is completely free. Freeview and Freesat are mainly FTA. The added complication with Freeview is that certain channels are not carried on all transmitters and some can only be watched if you have an HD receiver even if the channel itself is not HD!

Yes, it's that simple!

If you live in a place served by a relay TV transmitter rather than a main regional mast and do not or cannot have satellite or cable you will miss out on many channels unless you find them on the internet so I'm afraid 'scoobydoo' is right. Not all free matches will be necessarily available to all.  The only way to ensure universal access is carriage by the BBC, ITV , Channel or 5. Channels like Quest and Pick only are available to 74% of Freeview Viewers, Sky One to 0. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

4 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

There is a technical difference between 'Free to Air' (FTA) and 'Free to View'. (FTV). 

FTA means the programme or channel is available to all without any paid for subscription and are shown without any encryption.

FTV still carries no cost but is encrypted so you would need to have a pay TV subscription box, either Sky, Virgin or BT even if the programme or channel itself doesn't have to be  paid for. 

So with FTV you have to be paying someone a subscription for other services. FTA is completely free. Freeview and Freesat are mainly FTA. The added complication with Freeview is that certain channels are not carried on all transmitters and some can only be watched if you have an HD receiver even if the channel itself is not HD!

Yes, it's that simple!

If you live in a place served by a relay TV transmitter rather than a main regional mast and do not or cannot have satellite or cable you will miss out on many channels unless you find them on the internet so I'm afraid 'scoobydoo' is right. Not all free matches will be necessarily available to all.  The only way to ensure universal access is carriage by the BBC, ITV , Channel or 5. Channels like Quest and Pick only are available to 74% of Freeview Viewers, Sky One to 0. 

Thanks for that. Didn't know those fine details which are, in fact, pretty important. On the face of it FTA and FTV might seem to be the same and just a technicality of name but there is a hell of a difference, as I can now see.

16 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Thanks for that. Didn't know those fine details which are, in fact, pretty important. On the face of it FTA and FTV might seem to be the same and just a technicality of name but there is a hell of a difference, as I can now see.

The situation is truly over-complex and there is no way to get it over to the general public. Sky used this as a major part of their marketing during the digital switchover period, effectively saying, "Confused? Pay us money and we'll deal with it all for you". 

The best way is to go to the Freeview website https://www.freeview.co.uk/ , enter your postcode and see what the engineers think you'll receive. 

Whether you're on a main transmitter or a relay doesn't even depend on how remote you are. You could be in the middle of nowhere and have direct line of sight of a main transmitter, while someone in a major city could have hills blocking the signal, causing a local relay to be needed - and the result is Freeview Light. 

This does have relevance to speedway. The recent TV deal with Eurosport made claims about highlights being available to all on free channels. It's not true - some of their free stations are not available to over 25% of Freeview users. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

Don't know if its been asked before but will the behind closed doors meetings in Poland be available on television in the UK?

Just now, topaz325 said:

Don't know if its been asked before but will the behind closed doors meetings in Poland be available on television in the UK?

Ad infinitum- see here