British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SPD444

SPEEDWAY AND MASS GATHERINGS

Doesn't Boris' announcement that any mass gatherings will not have medical support mean that all Speedway Meetings are off.

BSPA meeting tomorrow to discuss

statement probably due ... how long we wait is another matter

Definitely off I'd say. It might take three months for the virus to decline. I can see some tracks not starting at all. This season could be terminal for the sport.

Frankly can't  see  any Speedway this season. Could be even worse

Was wondering does anyone know that if the season is delayed , how will it affect the riders, as I understand that they are in the main self employed, and a good few are from overseas, how will they cope with no work/pay.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Definitely off I'd say. It might take three months for the virus to decline. I can see some tracks not starting at all. This season could be terminal for the sport.

This sort of speculation is reckless as you cannot possibly know what will happen to the sport.        

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hrhbig said:

Was wondering does anyone know that if the season is delayed , how will it affect the riders, as I understand that they are in the main self employed, and a good few are from overseas, how will they cope with no work/pay.

Sadly ask former Rye House riders :(

12 hours ago, hrhbig said:

It is rumoured that Ryan Douglas and Nick Morris have already returned to Aussie.

12 hours ago, Lefty said:

Edited by Skodaman
delete earlier report

I spoke with Broc Nicol's mom Sunday morning, he was trying to get a flight back to the States, I haven't heard if he made it home yet

The 25k Grant to leisure industry related businesses affected,if applicable to speedway clubs. (And i see no reason why it should nt) Hopefully should help to cover many clubs fixed costs and at least preserve the sport for 2021?!?!

22 hours ago, Mark said:

This sort of speculation is reckless as you cannot possibly know what will happen to the sport.        

Plenty of people have similar views on different threads. It's all about opinions isn't it.

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Plenty of people have similar views on different threads. It's all about opinions isn't it.

No, that's just a claim made (too often) by a sensationalist journalist. .

A bit of responsibility wouldn't go amiss. What I see is a crass competition to see who can spread the most depression and panic by only seeing the extremes. What's the point in depressing people? Just watch and wait. Freedom of speech does usually come with a duty to show some responsibility in how that freedom is used.

As one wartime leader who's image is on the front page of a tabloid rag today once wrote, "Freedom is liberty, not licence" - i.e. you have freedom but not total freedom to talk irresponsibly. 

But that was a time of genuine crisis when potential deaths in the millions, not thousands were anticipated and people faced it without behaving like idiots. Times change. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

No, that's just a claim made (too often) by a sensationalist journalist. .

A bit of responsibility wouldn't go amiss. What I see is a crass competition to see who can spread the most depression and panic by only seeing the extremes. What's the point in depressing people? Just watch and wait. Freedom of speech does usually come with a duty to show some responsibility in how that freedom is used.

As one wartime leader who's image is on the front page of a tabloid rag today once wrote, "Freedom is liberty, not licence" - i.e. you have freedom but not total freedom to talk irresponsibly. 

But that was a time of genuine crisis when potential deaths in the millions, not thousands were anticipated and people faced it without behaving like idiots. Times change. 

Prehaps you should address the nation instead of Boris. I reckon you'd be very good at it.

• Like 1

Latest Government coronavirus guidelines restrict assembly of people to TWO. So no problems there for speedway!

Edited by Guest

On 3/18/2020 at 12:48 AM, RobMcCaffery said:

Times do indeed change. No-one now has any savings to fall back on for a rainy day. I don't think we can blame austerity for that.