British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

With sporting events across the UK now cancelled until further notice, and Speedway surely set to follow once the BSPA has met tomorrow, can British Speedway put 2020 league speedway “on ice” , and possibly just run some ad hoc open meetings later in the year ?

Surely with no meetings, the costs for a club are nil . No rent, no riders wages? These are extraordinary times and covid 19 and the consequential are surely a “force majeure” event ? 

5 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

With sporting events across the UK now cancelled until further notice, and Speedway surely set to follow once the BSPA has met tomorrow, can British Speedway put 2020 league speedway “on ice” , and possibly just run some ad hoc open meetings later in the year ?

Surely with no meetings, the costs for a club are nil . No rent, no riders wages? These are extraordinary times and covid 19 and the consequential are surely a “force majeure” event ? 

No rent not sure about that? Season tickets will need refunding yet riders advances will still have been paid out. Vans booked, race suits made etc. There are sizable pre season costs that if not recoupable could sink a club......oh and bspa fees which im sure will be returned immediately. 

• Like 5

Good points “sings4speedway”

i would suggest a club could say to season ticket holders we will honour your tickets for 2021.

riders advances race suits - yes they have been paid for  but the rider would be told you keep the money but no advance for 2021... race suits used for 2021. they ain’t going to be riding anywhere in 2020. 

Vans booked ? Cancel the booking .

BSPA fees - that’s up to the BSPA if they want the sport to survive ... refund them 

Tough times and tough decisions but if the sport is to survive action is needed ...

personally I am not hopeful that anyone in the BSPA is capable .........

• Like 2

Riders are in the same position. Many have spent thousands preparing for the season  too. 

I am sorry to say that this could mean the end of Speedway in this country

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Speedster15 said:

Being straight up with you.

Some might.

Vast Majority wont. 

The mad one is back. I know I know you don't get a life

What are the fixed costs of a speedway club? Upfront track work, licences, insurance, a bit of marketing (I jest) etc.? 

Obviously clubs will be looking to recoup those costs over the course of the season. If they haven't skimped on legal fees then their contracts with sponsors, TV and landlords should align, as in if the season is cancelled and sponsors/TV don't have to pay, their stadium leases should reflect that.

Given that most clubs run at a loss over the course of a season, then not running is likely to incur small losses than actually going ahead with the season?

4 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Riders are in the same position. Many have spent thousands preparing for the season  too. 

I'd say riders are in a more precarious position than clubs. Most will have bought new equipment, presumably on credit, signed van leases, rented houses etc. on the premise they will start receiving an income from mid-March. Equipment can obviously be mothballed, but if they've signed an 8-month lease for a van, the lease company isn't going to simply let them walk away from that agreement. 

Of course, riders do have the opportunity to earn money outside of speedway, but at the current time that is likely to be exceedingly difficult as companies are looking to ramp down operations, rather than take on new hires.

1 hour ago, pitstop84 said:

The mad one is back. I know I know you don't get a life

You talking to yourself again?! 

speedway will survive yes, unfortunately some clubs wont survive 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Speedster15 said:

I didn't realise it had issues.

Thanks for the heads up. I shall stick it on block.

If only you knew  issues your the one with issues.  

The sport will survive and if it comes back with more realistic people in charge it may prove a blessing.

I don't see many Promoters or leaders anywhere in the sport though and that's the biggest concern.

Needs bright new and independent thinking.

Off the top of my head.

Pretty short short list - Rob Painter and Ian Sinderson

• Like 1

If it survives it survives,, if it don't it don't.  I dare say we will all find other things to do. 

• Like 2