British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

1 hour ago, greyhoundp said:

The issue could be that the season has not started, which is totally different to football in that football, rugby, horse racing, concert events have been suspended or cancelled, which as i said elsewhere it means at the moment a longer close season, of course they could claim for costs already incurred in preperation for the season, and if the season doesnt run at all then thats a totally different situation with regards compensation, at the moment none of us know how long this situation will last or where anything is heading, because first and foremost the virus has to be eliminated.

You could well be right greyhoundp there is bound to be some obstacle put in the way.You would like to think fairness would prevail as all the clubs have been stopped running there business through no fault of there own.Onother point would be would  maybe some of the riders who are all self employed have some sort of insurance/cover in place to cover there loss of basic earning's.??

Edited by Sidney the robin

12 hours ago, acef said:

The deal in question is not relative to any of the above. Pecking order will play no part. The sport will have as much right to claim as any other.

This is good news. 

correct speedway are entitled like any other sport :t:

20 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

correct speedway are entitled like any other sport :t:

Dream on...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

you are all doom & gloom never seen one positive post from you !! on a brighter note good job i don't care about what you think :party:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedtiger said:

The list of business types excluded is minimal. Therefore, there's no reason why speedway clubs shouldn't qualify if they want to take out a loan with a personal guarantee in the current climate:

https://www.british-business-bank.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Ineligible-and-Restricted-Eligibility-Sector-2017.pdf

31 minutes ago, MattK said:

The list of business types excluded is minimal. Therefore, there's no reason why speedway clubs shouldn't qualify if they want to take out a loan with a personal guarantee in the current climate:

https://www.british-business-bank.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Ineligible-and-Restricted-Eligibility-Sector-2017.pdf

I can't see what this link is supposed to show, can you explain?

2 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I can't see what this link is supposed to show, can you explain?

Yes, it is a list of Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes which are ineligible for the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS) aka the "Government bailout".

Every limited company has one and it describes the nature of the business. For example, Swindon Speedway is "93199 - Other sports activities", Belle Vue is "93290 - Other amusement and recreation activities not elsewhere classified".

It's not an exact science, but neither of those SIC codes are ineligible for the scheme.

11 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

You  would think because our sport is not overly supported there could of been a case of being able to carry on.Of course the lack of medical cover was the biggest problem .But as speedway is a sport that cannot operate behind closed doors some compensation should be forthcoming to clubs.

spot on :t:

15 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

spot on :t:

Why is it a loan Geoff???  funny how they worded it the bloody government should be footing the bill.Why should individuals and businesses be punished through no fault of there own they want people to stay at home but how many people live and work from week to week.

3 hours ago, geoff58 said:

you are all doom & gloom never seen one positive post from you !! on a brighter note good job i don't care about what you think :party:

...seems like you do Geoff :nono:

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Why is it a loan Geoff???  funny how they worded it the bloody government should be footing the bill.Why should individuals and businesses be punished through no fault of there own they want people to stay at home but how many people live and work from week to week.

not sure it will be loans think they have changed their mind not 100% sure tho ? there is a lot to take in perhaps we will get a explanation of a promoter in time ?? anyway fingers crossed every human being/ business /sports clubs get through this i think you will find answers to your questions tomorrow big speech by chancellor you could be pleasantly surprised pal :t:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

...seems like you do Geoff :nono:

:rofl: oh i don't 

13 hours ago, geoff58 said:

not sure it will be loans think they have changed their mind not 100% sure tho ? there is a lot to take in perhaps we will get a explanation of a promoter in time ?? anyway fingers crossed every human being/ business /sports clubs get through this i think you will find answers to your questions tomorrow big speech by chancellor you could be pleasantly surprised pal :t:

Yes, they are loans which ultimately, we will all pay for.  The money has to come from somewhere and this government has already raised the national debt/borrowing through the roof even before this pandemic.

11 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Yes, they are loans which ultimately, we will all pay for.  The money has to come from somewhere and this government has already raised the national debt/borrowing through the roof even before this pandemic.

I am afraid we will all have to pay eventually and if that's the price to pay to get through it, then so be it

• Like 1