British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Nothing to stop the UK riding every night it wants I would say if others do the same..

Should Poland and Sweden want to cram as many meetings in as they can, you would think that the riders who ride in either (or both) leagues, and ride over here, would want to maximise their income and go where the money is best..

That would give plenty of UK riders lots or meetings over here and may prove a pointer towards a more 'going it alone' plan in the future..

Could supporters afford say two home meetings in every ten days Mike ?? would UK clubs consider that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Could supporters afford say two home meetings in every ten days Mike ?? would UK clubs consider that.

Two Clubs, I've seen so far has suggested reduced / free admission - £10 all 16 and above at Eastborne for first 2 Fixtures due to likely financial hardship. Poole also offering free admission all 2020 meetings to NHS Staff.

Hope more will follow suit

1 minute ago, HGould said:

Two Clubs, I've seen so far has suggested reduced / free admission - £10 all 16 and above at Eastborne for first 2 Fixtures due to likely financial hardship. Poole also offering free admission all 2020 meetings to NHS Staff.

Hope more will follow suit

I would love two meeting's every ten days,i could not see many clubs dropping there admission prices though.

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

If there is any racing, I can see the Poles pretty much using every night available, using all except maybe Tuesday..

The TV stations will want to show as much live sport as they can post lockdown and the sponsors will want as much exposure in whatever time is left to run a season. 

And riders obviously will want to ride as many times as they can for the clubs that will be paying the most..

if riders/people are allowed to enter poland ??

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

If there is any racing, I can see the Poles pretty much using every night available, using all except maybe Tuesday..

The TV stations will want to show as much live sport as they can post lockdown and the sponsors will want as much exposure in whatever time is left to run a season. 

And riders obviously will want to ride as many times as they can for the clubs that will be paying the most..

and there is the fixed race nights policy for all countries !!

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think the riders would need as much racing as is possible given they would have budgeted for 60 to 70 meetings or so if doubling up I would suggest..

And the landlords too would want as much as possible I would think so maybe reduced rent could be applied given most keep the bar and car park takes..?

Maybe running six times a month or so at £10 to £12 a night would be more beneficial than running once every other week at £18...?

Fixed race nights will be off the agenda globally I would think given the race to get as much Speedway in as they can. With Mon and Thu still being the TV nights over here, but 'any other' night where they can get a decent crowd being targeted. 

The Aces for example would get around 1800 or so quite comfortably I reckon at around £12 on a Saturday night if they ran a Monday, Saturday, Thursday pattern. 

At a reduced admission though for all three as at £18 a night it wouldn't happen..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Maybe they should do a coupon so £18 to attend the first meeting, £16 for the second, £14 and then £12.

Discount only works if you have been to meeting one it would mean ppl have to go each time

So meeting one £18

Two £16

Three £14

Four £12

Five £12

Six £12

Seven £12

And so on...

If you miss the sequence you restart but if you're savvy you buy a friend a ticket 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Maybe they should do a coupon so £18 to attend the first meeting, £16 for the second, £14 and then £12.

Discount only works if you have been to meeting one it would mean ppl have to go each time

So meeting one £18

Two £16

Three £14

Four £12

Five £12

Six £12

Seven £12

And so on...

If you miss the sequence you restart but if you're savvy you buy a friend a ticket 

I'd also raffle off a few 'season tickets' too..

Say a fiver a ticket at the first three or four matches..

Just 250 sold per meeting would bring five grand in over four matches. .

Not a bad return for four season tickets..

Edited by mikebv

13 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I would love two meeting's every ten days,i could not see many clubs dropping there admission prices though.

And it will be that "fixed in stone " attitude that will see UK speedway as we know it, fail to survive.  Lack of flexible, positve thinking is what has led it to be at a very low ebb, pre-coronavirus. And if that continues it's Game Over! "My way or the highway" stances from the previous leadership was what accelerated the decline in the UK.

In the Ekstraliga there are only 14 rounds of fixtures plus play-offs. The clubs won’t need to race every night to get the season done. Realistically they could start their season in June and still finish up by the end of October. 

There are ways in which we could take a leaf out of the Polish book in a positive manner. There seems to be a very British attitude that consistency is key and tracks have to have a meeting once a week. In Poland it is once a fortnight as a general rule. One week you are at home, the next away. Still consistent and not bank breaking for the fan. Yet people will say “if I don’t go every week I’ll get out of the habit of going.” People don’t get out of the habit of going to watch Man Utd and they don’t have a home game every week. 

If we scrapped B fixtures and play-offs the Premiership season could be completed in 12 weeks, that’s with one fixture a week per team (and no postponements). 

16 hours ago, geoff58 said:

and there is the fixed race nights policy for all countries !!

Which I doubt Poland will abide by

• Like 3

A much shorter season would be far better here, at the very least avoiding the rain offs of April and October.

Fixed race nights only give priority. You can race any night you like, but bear the consequences if your riders have other league's priority commitments.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

In the Ekstraliga there are only 14 rounds of fixtures plus play-offs. The clubs won’t need to race every night to get the season done. Realistically they could start their season in June and still finish up by the end of October. 

There are ways in which we could take a leaf out of the Polish book in a positive manner. There seems to be a very British attitude that consistency is key and tracks have to have a meeting once a week. In Poland it is once a fortnight as a general rule. One week you are at home, the next away. Still consistent and not bank breaking for the fan. Yet people will say “if I don’t go every week I’ll get out of the habit of going.” People don’t get out of the habit of going to watch Man Utd and they don’t have a home game every week. 

If we scrapped B fixtures and play-offs the Premiership season could be completed in 12 weeks, that’s with one fixture a week per team (and no postponements). 

I think if it restarts one set of fixtures but keep the play offs should be achieved.