British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

I think if it restarts one set of fixtures but keep the play offs should be achieved. 

Would be easily done. Although in such a small league play-offs are pointless in reality, over half the league qualify. But that’s not a corona virus driven issue I guess. 

20 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Would be easily done. Although in such a small league play-offs are pointless in reality, over half the league qualify. But that’s not a corona virus driven issue I guess. 

True very true and I agree but with one set of fixtures a top 4 finish could be very exciting as it should be close.

Unless they do one set of fixtures, whoever finishes top is league champions and top 4 qualify for KO Cup semi finals... gives teams something to ride for 

9 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Which I doubt Poland will abide by

may not have much choice ??

What is the conversion for a rider dropping into the championship from the prem

And what is the average conversion for a championship rider dropping into the national league 

1 home and 1 away. Play offs. 

12 fixtures per club, 4 months to complete then a month for the play offs.

June to October.

Now obviously there will be clashes with other countries and at the moment, I have no clue how we would negotiate that.

The top leagues in this country are bloated and it is conceivable that we can fully complete with in those 5 months. The main league season doesn't get going until may anyway and we complete by October and that's doing twice the fixtures I proposed. 

If clubs do 1 home fixture a week that means every one will essentially ride twice a week, assuming those who clash on race nights move to their reserve race night.

It could even be done in less than 5 months.

8 hours ago, acef said:

June to October.

No way will the UK speedway season run in June. Possibly beginning in August but more likely September.

• Like 1

Just do the supporters cup meetings, a challenge match against your  nearest club, and a couple of open meetings for each club with british based riders. 

If any sort of team matches run then we will have to get used to have guests and R/R, this is unpresidented and I have no problems with it. Also I would let clubs run whatever night they want.

I rekon end of july/August we may see speedway 

23 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Which I doubt Poland will abide by

Poland could run Friday and Sunday meaning their regular season will only take seven weeks. The riders will love Poland on a Friday, GP on a Saturday and Poland on a Sunday.

It is therefore British speedway's problem to work around this.

3 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

No way will the UK speedway season run in June. Possibly beginning in August but more likely September.

Says who? 
At this moment, nobody knows when it will recommence.

Appreciate your input but put down it’s your opinion. That comes across like fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Poland could run Friday and Sunday meaning their regular season will only take seven weeks. The riders will love Poland on a Friday, GP on a Saturday and Poland on a Sunday.

It is therefore British speedway's problem to work around this.

Poland will do whatever they want to do as has been continually shown in the past. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Just do the supporters cup meetings, a challenge match against your  nearest club, and a couple of open meetings for each club with british based riders. 

If any sort of team matches run then we will have to get used to have guests and R/R, this is unpresidented and I have no problems with it. Also I would let clubs run whatever night they want.

Jesus Phil I wouldn’t wanna be in the trenches with you!

3 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Nail on the head, maybe a four team tournament with a one off finals day.

Peterborough may have problems with the showground availability if the season is compacted into so many weeks,  the showground owners will want to get the most cash in they can when they can and speedway may be pushed to the bottom of priorities