British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

No chance. Who in their right mind would attend a big sporting event with no vaccine in place. I just can't see the authorities allowing it to happen. A big surge in cases would put the NHS under immense strain. 

I would go to speedway at the first opportunity. I'm an OAP and get more or less chance of getting infected at Perry Barr as I have the local Tesco. Most people will be keen to get back to any level of normality. It's not as if I'm going to be in a crowd of 40,000 at Villa Park....700 at PB minimal risk and far more exciting.

1 minute ago, Tim G said:

People will go to these events, you only had to look at the crowds at Cheltenham when people already knew about coronavirus.

The authorities letting these events happen is a difficult one, they need to get the economy going but also need to protect the NHS.

I think Cheltenham was at the start of the 'finally realisation is dawning'  period so got away with it. .

One week later and it wouldn't have taken place. .

And given the fall out as to how many who attended have since tested postive for the virus I wouldn't think it will be seen as a postive thing to have attended, it and may make others think twice post "the official all clear"..

I think there will definitely be a week or two of plenty of people not wishing to put themselves back into crowded areas and will hang back a little to wait and see if actually all is really 'ok'..

Not to mention the financial hit on those who may have to start paying more for bills and mortgages as they have had a payment holiday...

Can't see a "throng" of people attending unless other sports like football maybe have a phased increasing restriction on numbers over a period of time, which means some may want to get their sporting fix elsewhere..

Plenty more popular sports in the queue first though even if that happens..

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HGould said:

Wimbledon, Glastonbury, other massive Events cancelled as the lead time to set up and organise logistics is MONTHS....you don't organise them in weeks. By cancelling now that limit losses massively. Speedway could theoretically be given green light and actually facing within a week. 

To suggest there is and correlation between putting Wimbledon on and organising Swindon Robins v Wolverhampton Wolves within a week is scaremongering nonsense.

Speedway meetings with initially British riders could be organised very quickly. Clubs will have everything ready to go very quickly

We couldn't get a team together in a week with only R Schlein living here.

I'd go to speedway if it was on tonight and the lockdown wasn't in force. I'd probably wear gloves, maybe overclothes too.  keep a distance where possible. strip overclothes before getting in the car. Sanitize. Shower straight after the meeting. I'm out there working currently as it is and doing most of these things. At the end of the day before I get in my car I do most of these things. It's almost routine now. It's almost normal. With common sense we could do things. There's just a lot of dumb people out there. And those dumb people will mean it will be very unlikely to get back to normal anytime soon. If it's before June I'll be astonished.

Just to clarify dumb. I mean people getting within 2 meters. not washing their hands. Paying with cash. Not wearing gloves at petrol pumps. Smoking (but that's a separate issue). Not covering their faces when they cough. 

Edited by Danny Connor
Clarifying dumb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

I think Cheltenham was at the start of the 'finally realisation is dawning'  period so got away with it. .

One week later and it wouldn't have taken place. .

And given the fall out as to how many who attended have since tested postive for the virus I wouldn't think it will be seen as a postive thing to have attended, it and may make others think twice post "the official all clear"..

I think there will definitely be a week or two of plenty of people not wishing to put themselves back into crowded areas and will hang back a little to wait and see if actually all is really 'ok'..

Not to mention the financial hit on those who may have to start paying more for bills and mortgages as they have had a payment holiday...

Can't see a "throng" of people attending unless other sports like football maybe have a phased increasing restriction on numbers over a period of time, which means some may want to get their sporting fix elsewhere..

Plenty more popular sports in the queue first though even if that happens..

Whilst I agree Cheltenham would not have been on a week later if it was on I doubt the attendance would have been down much.

As soon as people get the all clear to attend events or pub they will go if they can afford it.

If you told people they could go to the beach this weekend Bournemouth would be packed.

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Would you attend if there was a vaccine that had a 1 in 4 chance of working?

It depends if the cases had reduced accordingly. Three out of the four people in my household are key workers. We try to minimise the risks as much as we can. It's a very stressful time for everyone.

1 hour ago, Wolfie456 said:

We couldn't get a team together in a week with only R Schlein living here.

Speedway could take place though, of some kind as plenty of British riders and UK based riders would be clamouring to ride.

It's very unfortunate that a team like Wolverhampton can't offer a team place and a job to a British rider but that's a topic for another day.

9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It depends if the cases had reduced accordingly. Three out of the four people in my household are key workers. We try to minimise the risks as much as we can. It's a very stressful time for everyone.

What I mean is, if the vaccine developed had a 1 in 4 chance of actually working, would you attend sporting events?

10 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

What I mean is, if the vaccine developed had a 1 in 4 chance of actually working, would you attend sporting events?

I know what meant. It depends on how many people were still being infected. Normal speedway meetings probably wouldn't be a problem, but I'd give premier league football a miss and attend lower league matches instead. 

Getting Speedway up and running in some form may be possible, but what would be the format ?, Its all very well saying the lockdown is over in the UK, but what about quarantine rules, what about other countries and flights, we may get the all clear UK wide, but what about europe, australia and the few americans they will all have different time scales, yes some kind of speedway may be possible within a week, League racing im not so sure about, and will the aussies want to come over if its only for 6/8 weeks even if its logistically possible.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I know what meant. It depends on how many people were still being infected. Normal speedway meetings probably wouldn't be a problem, but I'd give premier league football a miss and attend lower league matches instead. 

Ok...but you do know that between 350-400 people die EVERY DAY in winter from flu/pneumonia and 100-200 every day in summer? i.e. something caught from another?

Just ask yourself what people would do if the media told you the number who had died.. day after day after day.

It's only in the last week covid-19 has reached those levels.. and within a couple of weeks should be back below.

Point is, viruses are a part of life. This is something new and seems like its never before been seen, but reality is, we deal with it every day of our lives.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Ok...but you do know that between 350-400 people die EVERY DAY in winter from flu/pneumonia and 100-200 every day in summer? i.e. something caught from another?

Just ask yourself what people would do if the media told you the number who had died.. day after day after day.

It's only in the last week covid-19 has reached those levels.. and within a couple of weeks should be back below.

Point is, viruses are a part of life. This is something new and seems like its never before been seen, but reality is, we deal with it every day of our lives.

Thats 100,000 a year die from flu/pneumonia, are you sure? or are there no deaths during spring & autumn. 

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Speedway could take place though, of some kind as plenty of British riders and UK based riders would be clamouring to ride.

It's very unfortunate that a team like Wolverhampton can't offer a team place and a job to a British rider but that's a topic for another day.

What value is there in clubs cobbling together teams just to run meetings? Rider still expect to be paid and putting on meetings which only attract a few hundred supporters is a guaranteed way to lose money.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

And people who do die do so freely wandering around without self isolation or social distancing. I don't know why you persist with this comparison of flu and covid 19. It's completely invalid. To state the bleeding obvious, the confirmed cases and deaths of covid 19 would be vastly increased were the drastic restrictions not in place.  Listen to the experts. Jeez. :rolleyes:

Edited by falcace

18 minutes ago, falcace said:

And people who do die do so freely wandering around without self isolation or social distancing. I don't know why you persist with this comparison of flu and covid 19. It's completely invalid. To state the bleeding obvious, the confirmed cases and deaths of covid 19 would be vastly increased were the drastic restrictions not in place.  Listen to the experts. Jeez. :rolleyes:

Of course it isn't completely invalid. They are both viruses caught from social contact with others.

If you die, you die. It's not something extra special if you die from covid-19.

As for the experts?.. Yes, they told us without a lockdown 20 x more people would die..

Only problem with that... it hasn't happened in countries where they've not locked down.

The 'experts' don't know. That is what they assumed would happen... and it hasn't. That's why their projected death figures change day by day. It's all new.

Besides, this discussion is nothing to do with that in the slightest. We're discussing when covid-19 eventually goes away.. and as I have clearly said, if the media were telling you 400 people were dying daily, people would be scared of going out.

What we have established though Falcace is 350-400 deaths a day from social contact is irrelevant to you..  so, I assume, in a month or so when flu/pneumonia deaths are down to around 100-150 a day, if Covid is down to around 250 deaths a day, all is good with you right?

Edited by BWitcher