British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Were you there '???? Matt barring in mind out of the average gate i gave 1000/1,300  at least 200 don't pay .Your prediction of 800 with 200 non payers how on earth could Swindon afford to operate.??

I have no idea. As I said, I count the people I see and it comes to about 800-ish. If 200 of them are freeloaders, then that's even worse!

I think we survive off the generosity of Terry and the other guys. No wonder Terry has been trying to sell his stake for as long as I can remember.

6 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yes it is incorrect as you have no idea of the amount that have contracted it.

Nor are people tested 'again' in general for a case to be 'closed'.

If you applied the same theory to flu/pneumonia, you're looking at a death rate of over 50% so it's nonsense.

I don't need the 'last say'... as I am 100% correct in the figures I've given. Folks are triggered because it makes them look rather silly in the way they've been reacting... That's their issue.

Flu stats are the same

Figures are only made from people who have a confirmed case of the flu, does everyone go to hospital for mild flu? I doubt it very much

8 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Flu stats are the same

Figures are only made from people who have a confirmed case of the flu, does everyone go to hospital for mild flu? I doubt it very much

Correct, they are the same, thank you for admitting that. So same method used, but flu/pneumonia is 25% higher.

7 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Correct

The only way you can calculate the death % is on closed cases I.e recovered or dead.  At the moment the death % on confirmed closed cases is 21%

On open cases only 4% are critical but that doesn't mean the 96% non critical will not suddenly get worse as the virus takes a tighter grip

But anyway we'll all be fine once the 5G masts get taken down

It's amazing how people twist numbers... The reason those confirmed cases are closed is because of the death rate, and not - as you seem to suggest - the other way round. If you are honest, you would admit that the final death rate will not be anything like that.

As far as people criticising those who "downplay" the virus on here, claiming comparisons are "invalid" need to look at it like this.

1) Nobody is attempting to downplay or trivialise the effect of COVID-19. Yes, it IS serious, particularly for the elderly and infirm.

2) As serious as it is, there are many other things in this world that afflict people, causing suffering and death, and in great numbers. Therefore all comparisons can be classed as "valid".

3) As has been said, regular flu/pneumonia/respiratory afflictions kill people in HUGE numbers every year. The fact that most people are willing to sweep these under the carpet seems to indicate that the general public a) don't believe these numbers, b) don't WANT to believe these numbers, or c) don't care.

4) You're worried about catching COVID-19? Be sensible. Take precautions. Wash your hands. Practice social distancing.

Even taking something totally different, let's consider this:

There have been 1.5 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide.

In 2017, 2.2 million people needed medical attention due to motor vehicle accidents. In the United States ALONE!

14,802 Americans have died from COVID-19 so far, and everybody is scared. 37,133 Americans died in motor vehicle accidents in 2017.

You want to kick it up a notch?

607,000 Americans die each year from cancer.

647,000 Americans die each year from heart disease.

Nobody thinks about that. More to the point, nobody worries about that.

If you were to multiply the current number of deaths in the US from COVID-19 by ten, that would be a total of 148,020.

You see my point? Nobody is trying to trivialise COVID-19, but as bad as it is, it still doesn't - and won't - claim anywhere near the number of victims that other things do. Other things that seemingly aren't worth a second thought to most of you.

People die. We are all going to die. If it's not from one thing, it will be another. It's not worse, or more important, to die from one thing rather than another, and just because a single virus is bringing the world to a standstill, many more people will die from many other causes. And will be ignored...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MattK said:

It is pointless to clubs, as children do not like AD/DC, the calming tones of Richard Crowley (he's the announcer at Swindon) and filling our pieces of paper with pens. Bring children to speedway only once the presentation has been completely overhaul and dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. Or, promote to the people who currently make up the majority of speedway's paying customers, the over 50s.

Most of the children I saw who came to Eastbourne became totally wrapped up in the racing and cheered, shouted and waved like mad...an you should have heard that talking as they went out of the stadium. They liked wheel-to-wheel racing and seeing the riders. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Most of the children I saw who came to Eastbourne became totally wrapped up in the racing and cheered, shouted and waved like mad...an you should have heard that talking as they went out of the stadium. They liked wheel-to-wheel racing and seeing the riders. 

So they didn’t have coke cans crushed on their shoes and were just playing around not really looking at the racing like most kids I see ? Maybe Eastbourne is something else, as Eddie Cochran sang

I remember as a kid being allowed access to the pits after the racing collecting autographs and being in awe of the riders...and of course during the interval one lucky kid got the chance to ride pillion on a bike but, of course, Health & Safety put a stop to that.

The last sentence Richard is so important especially when they meet the riders and some become heroes.Isle of Wight and your club have made great strides media  and website wise moving with the times some great DVD footage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember as a kid being allowed access to the pits after the racing collecting autographs and being in awe of the riders...and of course during the interval one lucky kid got the chance to ride pillion on a bike but, of course, Health & Safety put a stop to that.

The first part still happens... but not the second part as you say.. ridiculously so. Was any kid ever injured in that fashion?

2 hours ago, MattK said:

I have no idea. As I said, I count the people I see and it comes to about 800-ish. If 200 of them are freeloaders, then that's even worse!

I think we survive off the generosity of Terry and the other guys. No wonder Terry has been trying to sell his stake for as long as I can remember.

If you count the blocks of 100 people, plus all those in the bars the total at most meetings would be between 1300 and 1500. 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

The first part still happens... but not the second part as you say.. ridiculously so. Was any kid ever injured in that fashion?

So important Witcher this happening it has stayed with me forever and Lee Kilby is pushing and trying  very hard to get kids involved at Swindon.It is heartwarming when you see the young uns looking at the bikes beforehand in awe this has to be maintained.

32 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

If you count the blocks of 100 people, plus all those in the bars the total at most meetings would be between 1300 and 1500. 

Well, one of us can't count ;)

Speedway attendances are one of life's great mysteries. Like "Is there a God" and "Do we have free will?"

4 hours ago, MattK said:

It is pointless to clubs, as children do not like AD/DC, the calming tones of Richard Crowley (he's the announcer at Swindon) and filling our pieces of paper with pens. Bring children to speedway only once the presentation has been completely overhaul and dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. Or, promote to the people who currently make up the majority of speedway's paying customers, the over 50s.

There you go again though, generalising based on one Track one annoucer.

Every track is different some better than others.

My visits to Swindon, old configuration and new have always been very enjoyable.

58 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The last sentence Richard is so important especially when they meet the riders and some become heroes.Isle of Wight and your club have made great strides media  and website wise moving with the times some great DVD footage.

I went to Eastbourne last year to see Brummies twice and both times Pits open before and after meeting, Stadium Tours and Home Riders mingling with Supporters in Pits and on Centre Green after the meeting. Got to talk to Brummies riders I usually can't get to see at PB although that had changed by end of the season.

Went to Shield Final at Arlington with a mate from Leicester, what an effort then put on, dozens of Harley's and a Harley parade and again Pits open before and after and a Parade for Leicester who won the meeting.

Brummies too making real efforts last season with Groups and features and involving kids at Interval. David and Peter Mason deserve great credit for that and notable improvement through the season.

Same when I went to Somerset and Redcar. Trips to Wolverhampton though on the other hand far less enthusiasm same old Presentation as 10 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1