British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

18 minutes ago, Technik said:

As I see it at the moment the daily deaths are getting up to 1000 per day. I hope it will not go much higher.

before anything can even be talked about that level must be at least halved then we can start talking about easing back on the lockdown but that cannot be implemented until daily deaths fall below 100.

So far as a return to opening sports & entertainment arenas I feel the guidelines will be by number & it will be valued on the maximum available capacity. So if the limit is 500 persons & your capacity is 2500 you will not be allowed paying public inside your arena.

Cinemas & theatres  maybe allowed as they can limit ticket sales but major sporting events will be another issue 

Daily deaths from viruses are never below 100 a day. Even in summer. 

7 hours ago, Shrub said:

I believe the reason so many people seem to trivialise 'flu is because 'A touch of the flu' is what many will tell their boss was the reason they weren't at work yesterday. Or a football manager saying this player is missing today due to a dose of flu but they're back playing a few days later. Of course in both cases they've had a cold but feel the need to pep it up a bit. A cold can be unpleasant but is nowhere near as horrible or debilitating as a real dose of flu. Only this afternoon on the increasingly hysteria driven 5 Live a virologist when comparing influenza and Covid 19 dismissed flu as a virus that makes you feel bad for a few days but you're well after five days - clearly someone who's never had 'flu. 

Many simply won't believe that 'the trivial' little illness that they use to pull a sickie really can be a killer. It's just a spot of flu, right? 

Spot on..

Only had 'the flu' once, around 30 years ago and I remained in bed for a week with two visits from the doctor as there was no chance of me going out to see him.. 

My then girlfriend told me when I was back on my feet that the she knew I wasnt well when she asked me what I was doing and I told her that i was "washing the pots". And the sink was empty.:D

She decided I wasnt quite fit to drive to work so put me to bed and given the amount of sweating and shaking also decided to phone the emergency doctor.

I lost over a stone in a weeks bed rest through sweating..

Since then, as a supermarket manager, whenever anyone calls in sick with "I have this flu that's going around so wont be in today, but I will be in tomorrow" I do laugh....:rolleyes:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

Months away?  I doubt it.

Speaking from a London point of view - , If we're at a shopping centre, pub, restaurant or any public event by mid June i'll be astonished.

Had the locals not continually ignored guidance we might have had a chance, but no.

Not a pups chance of football resuming here before maybe July or August, let alone something like speedway outside of town.  Annoying, but reality i think.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Spot on..

Only had 'the flu' once, around 30 years ago and I remained in bed for a week with two visits from the doctor as there was no chance of me going out to see him.. 

My then girlfriend told me when I was back on my feet that the she knew I wasnt well when she asked me what I was doing and I told her that i was "washing the pots". And the sink was empty.:D

She decided I wasnt quite fit to drive to work so put me to bed and given the amount of sweating and shaking also decided to phone the emergency doctor.

Since then, as a supermarket manager, whenever anyone calls in sick with "I have this flu that's going around so wont be in today, but I will be in tomorrow" I do laugh....:rolleyes:

I have  had flu twice in my life  I  spent at least a week in bed both times and  it was about 2wks after that before I was a 100% fit again ,on both occasions I was under 30 yrs old .

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DC2 said:

I can accept all of that except “95% of the population could have it”, because 75% of our tests have been negative.

Less than 1% infected in Austria:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/10/less-than-1-of-austria-infected-with-coronavirus-new-study-shows

Again, it could well be hot spots. I see that the region of Tirol have kept the tough lockdown in certain areas where the outbreak is thought to have started such as Ischgl and Galtür until 26.04

Latest tests of 3,000 people show 19% positive said Günther Platter the local Bürgermeister or President of Tirol

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Again, it could well be hot spots. I see that the region of Tirol have kept the tough lockdown in certain areas where the outbreak is thought to have started such as Ischgl and Galtür until 26.04

Latest tests of 3,000 people show 19% positive said Günther Platter the local Bürgermeister or President of Tirol

Yes, 19% is feasible in certain areas, as is more than 50% in care homes, but 95% isn’t anything like possible in the general population.

Around 500000 people die in England alone every year. What I'd like the hear from at least one hack who is questioning the daily briefing is that how many people in total have died in England on any given day.

It could be a useful tool to disseminate the numbers and find out just how many are succumbing to the virus. At the moment all the hysteria is assuming that anyone who has died must have caught the virus.

On the sporting front, I don't see anything happening for months as the ban on mass gatherings will be in place for a long time I think. The problem then will be will people want to go to sports events and be surrounded by lots of other people? If that is the case then low crowds could kill certain venues quicker than the current shutdown.

4 minutes ago, TB1 said:

Around 500000 people die in England alone every year. What I'd like the hear from at least one hack who is questioning the daily briefing is that how many people in total have died in England on any given day.

It could be a useful tool to disseminate the numbers and find out just how many are succumbing to the virus. At the moment all the hysteria is assuming that anyone who has died must have caught the virus.

On the sporting front, I don't see anything happening for months as the ban on mass gatherings will be in place for a long time I think. The problem then will be will people want to go to sports events and be surrounded by lots of other people? If that is the case then low crowds could kill certain venues quicker than the current shutdown.

Up until April 5th less people had died in the UK this year than the average for the past five years.

With the recent 'success' of the lockdown and the surge of deaths, that figure is now being surpassed.

Edited by BWitcher

1 minute ago, TB1 said:

The Open Championship (Golf) has been completely cancelled for this year, it's not looking good for sport ...

23 minutes ago, TB1 said:

Thats a definite possibility...

There won't be 'safety net' Govt cash so venues will stand or fall by the uptake of the punters..

Personally after the 'all clear' I would go out, but not sure everyone would be in the same mindset..

22 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Up until April 5th less people had died in the UK this year than the average for the past five years.

26 minutes ago, TB1 said:

I was just discussing some of this with friends in our WhatsApp group.

Is it something that would help put things into more perspective, and show us how many ‘extra’ deaths there are each day due to the virus?

Using the 500,000 total, that’s an average number of deaths per day of 1,370.

They are announcing the number of Covid-19 related deaths at e.g. 900 each day – but what is that in relation to the overall total of that particular day?

Was the number of deaths that day 1,370 + 900 = 2,270?

Probably not, but neither is it likely that the number of people passing away from a condition not Covid-19 related will have fallen considerably too much lower than 1,370. (is there a figure to hand of by how many the average had fallen before 5 April this year v. the last 5 years?)

So it is most likely somewhere between the two, but where between?

However, given that we are being told many of those passing away had underlying conditions, would it be fair to assume that some of those 900 people who sadly died that day from or associated with Covid-19 would have died anyway from another condition. Not necessarily on that particular day, but not too far into the future.

Maybe the talk of the ‘underlying conditions’ is giving some folks a false sense of security – those flouting the social distancing advice for instance. Would it, then, help hammer home the point of how this affecting us all also releasing the overall total of deaths, and how many higher this is than the average number of deaths ‘expected’ each day based on the 1,370 figure?

• Like 2

Reading this weeks Star Len Silver is doubtful the season will probably not even start this year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mikebv said:

Spot on..

Same here, just had it the once. I'm never ill, rarely get a cold but went down with flu around ten years ago and it knocked me for six.

A very uncomfortable week or so in bed, the one thing I do remember, (and am never allowed to forget) was when it was at it's peak, after finally getting in a vaguely comfortable position in bed, I needed a wee. The en-suite loo was about a dozen steps away, but it may as well of been in Ulan Batar, the way I felt. I knew I had to move, but didn't want to or felt I could. You become a little delirious with flu and your thought processes go out the window and I seriously considered just peeing in the bed. I didn't, I hasten to add, I compromised  and managed half the steps and peed on the bathroom floor.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BarracudaAce said:

I was just discussing some of this with friends in our WhatsApp group.

Is it something that would help put things into more perspective, and show us how many ‘extra’ deaths there are each day due to the virus?

Using the 500,000 total, that’s an average number of deaths per day of 1,370.

They are announcing the number of Covid-19 related deaths at e.g. 900 each day – but what is that in relation to the overall total of that particular day?

Was the number of deaths that day 1,370 + 900 = 2,270?

Probably not, but neither is it likely that the number of people passing away from a condition not Covid-19 related will have fallen considerably too much lower than 1,370. (is there a figure to hand of by how many the average had fallen before 5 April this year v. the last 5 years?)

So it is most likely somewhere between the two, but where between?

However, given that we are being told many of those passing away had underlying conditions, would it be fair to assume that some of those 900 people who sadly died that day from or associated with Covid-19 would have died anyway from another condition. Not necessarily on that particular day, but not too far into the future.

Maybe the talk of the ‘underlying conditions’ is giving some folks a false sense of security – those flouting the social distancing advice for instance. Would it, then, help hammer home the point of how this affecting us all also releasing the overall total of deaths, and how many higher this is than the average number of deaths ‘expected’ each day based on the 1,370 figure?

Well said and I could not have put it better myself a number things that I thought but did not put in my post. Many thanks for that.

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Thats a definite possibility...

There won't be 'safety net' Govt cash so venues will stand or fall by the uptake of the punters..

Personally after the 'all clear' I would go out, but not sure everyone would be in the same mindset..

I agree totally it certainly won't stop me going anywhere but just imagine pubs that were packed at weekends could be quiet with many choosing not to be in crowded locations.

In terms of government cash they have in effect hospitalized (pardon the pun) the economy without knowing if they have enough aftercare when the patient finally leaves the hospital. 

In addition given the UK has only a very small manufacturing sector left, the knock on effect of decimating the leisure and service industries could leave millions unemployed for years to come.