British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

7 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Of course it isn't completely invalid. They are both viruses caught from social contact with others.

It is invalid. Utterly.

You are comparing deaths from a one virus with no social restrictions whatsoever with deaths from another virus with self isolation and social distancing in place. This subject is carrying over multiple threads now and you are making yourself look quite the fool across them all. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, falcace said:

It is invalid. Utterly.

You are comparing deaths from a one virus with no social restrictions whatsoever with deaths from another virus with self isolation and social distancing in place. This subject is carrying over multiple threads now and you are making yourself look quite the fool across them all. 

Incorrect in every one of your statements, but don't let that stop you.

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Ok...but you do know that between 350-400 people die EVERY DAY in winter from flu/pneumonia and 100-200 every day in summer? i.e. something caught from another?

Just ask yourself what people would do if the media told you the number who had died.. day after day after day.

It's only in the last week covid-19 has reached those levels.. and within a couple of weeks should be back below.

Point is, viruses are a part of life. This is something new and seems like its never before been seen, but reality is, we deal with it every day of our lives.

Can I assume you are talking about annual global deaths? The World Health Organisation estimates annual deaths from influenza as being between 290,000 and 650,000 so upwards of 800 a day.  Public Health England says the average annual death rate from influenza is approximately 17,000. As England has around 89% of the UK’s population, that equates to 19,100 across UK or just over 52 deaths per day. It’s been reported that 938 people died from or with Covid-19 today, which would have taken 18 days for the equivalent number of influenza deaths. 
Or, looked at another way, it seems likely from the statistics that more people died in UK today with or from Covid-19, than died in all of the countries in the world from influenza. 

4 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Can I assume you are talking about annual global deaths? The World Health Organisation estimates annual deaths from influenza as being between 290,000 and 650,000 so upwards of 800 a day.  Public Health England says the average annual death rate from influenza is approximately 17,000. As England has around 89% of the UK’s population, that equates to 19,100 across UK or just over 52 deaths per day. It’s been reported that 938 people died from or with Covid-19 today, which would have taken 18 days for the equivalent number of influenza deaths. 
Or, looked at another way, it seems likely from the statistics that more people died in UK today with or from Covid-19, than died in all of the countries in the world from influenza. 

Not at all, I am talking about daily deaths in the UK.

All figures are available on the Office of National Statistics site, the official collater of all stats.

Up until 27th March 28,398 had died from flu/pneumonia in the UK this year.

Actually 6,000 below the average.

Anyway, it's all been discussed and figures provided on the corona virus thread.. and not just by me.

If you don't believe me, go here, scroll down to section 3 and hover over the graph for each week. It will tell you the number of deaths that week.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending27march2020

Edited by BWitcher

47 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Incorrect in every one of your statements, but don't let that stop you.

I seldom post but always read, this is the 4th thread you have joined talking up your inane flu theory, you change your source on a whim to suit your next argument.

Now here you are again arguing, please give your head a wobble and respect the medical advice and stop being a know all know nothing crank!!!!

33 minutes ago, Swindonseptet said:

I seldom post but always read, this is the 4th thread you have joined talking up your inane flu theory, you change your source on a whim to suit your next argument.

Now here you are again arguing, please give your head a wobble and respect the medical advice and stop being a know all know nothing crank!!!!

Who said anything about not respecting the medical advice? There is no theory involved. I've just given facts. The fact you don't like them speaks volumes.

The office of national statistics is the official source of recorded deaths in the UK. It is the same body responsible for the covid-19 tallies.

If you have an issue take it up with them.

Abuse all you like. It is definitive fact.

Does it mean Covid-19 isn't dangerous? No it doesn't..  

Edited by BWitcher

2 hours ago, flipper11 said:

Thats 100,000 a year die from flu/pneumonia, are you sure? or are there no deaths during spring & autumn. 

Freely available to view the figures here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending27march2020

Scroll down to section 3, hover over each week on the graph.

10 hours ago, MattK said:

Do you think Wimbledon was cancelled as they think we will still be in lockdown at the end of June? I think it is because they are scared of poor ticket sales and attendances.

I doubt Wimbledon would be worried by poor ticket sales the television money is where the large part of the income comes from . Not look into why its been called off so early but worrying  about ticket sales won't be it 

11 hours ago, MattK said:

Do you think Wimbledon was cancelled as they think we will still be in lockdown at the end of June? I think it is because they are scared of poor ticket sales and attendances.

I don't think people will go flooding out. People are realising that spunking money on coffee, lunches, down the shops, pubs, restaurants etc. isn't actually required to have a life. Maybe that's just me though. I've saved an absolute fortune this last month when I haven't left the house.

Wimbledon would be impossible to manage.  So many general admission tickets and soc is would mean they couldnt sensibly queue or manage.  2m between each group in the queue would end up with folk in Leatherhead.  And having required numbers of nhs and control staff on site just to manage a normal day would make it impossible. 

Edited by The Doctor...
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, MattK said:

What value is there in clubs cobbling together teams just to run meetings? Rider still expect to be paid and putting on meetings which only attract a few hundred supporters is a guaranteed way to lose money.

A reason why your notion of  bringing  back the big stars is a risky one it is completely the wrong time to implement it.

I think ( sorry in my opinion ) I believe that it would be better to scrap the whole season - oainful though that might be to riders, promoters etc.

Because, things are not going to bounce back to normal immediately and attendances will likely be half of what they were last seaon, not double!

This is because there is going to be a lot of reticence to going out needlessly ( fear of the second wave ) and things will get back to "normal"               ( possibly ) in a stuttering manner.

Things will probably be more like "back to normal" in 2021.

• Like 2

The big stars should never come back those days are over and UK speedway needs to let go of that dream and lay the foundations for future generations to enjoy the sport 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Of course it isn't completely invalid. They are both viruses caught from social contact with others.

If you die, you die. It's not something extra special if you die from covid-19.

As for the experts?.. Yes, they told us without a lockdown 20 x more people would die..

Only problem with that... it hasn't happened in countries where they've not locked down.

The 'experts' don't know. That is what they assumed would happen... and it hasn't. That's why their projected death figures change day by day. It's all new.

Besides, this discussion is nothing to do with that in the slightest. We're discussing when covid-19 eventually goes away.. and as I have clearly said, if the media were telling you 400 people were dying daily, people would be scared of going out.

What we have established though Falcace is 350-400 deaths a day from social contact is irrelevant to you..  so, I assume, in a month or so when flu/pneumonia deaths are down to around 100-150 a day, if Covid is down to around 250 deaths a day, all is good with you right?

I think the fact that covid 19 has a death rate of between 6 and 10% make it far worse that flu which runs at approximately 0.1%. I'm genuinely shocked at the amount of downright prats who still insist on comparing it to flu.... Wake up! 

10 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

I think ( sorry in my opinion ) I believe that it would be better to scrap the whole season - oainful though that might be to riders, promoters etc.

Because, things are not going to bounce back to normal immediately and attendances will likely be half of what they were last seaon, not double!

This is because there is going to be a lot of reticence to going out needlessly ( fear of the second wave ) and things will get back to "normal"               ( possibly ) in a stuttering manner.

Things will probably be more like "back to normal" in 2021.

Would agree 100% .

Just now, Spl77 said:

I think the fact that covid 19 has a death rate of between 6 and 10% make it far worse that flu which runs at approximately 0.1%. I'm genuinely shocked at the amount of downright prats who still insist on comparing it to flu.... Wake up! 

No it doesn't have a 'death rate' of between 6 and 10%.

When in doubt, make it up eh?