Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mags4dorset

What is it that you are doing to keep yourself safe while we amidst COVID-19

For me, i work 99% from home anyway, so main impact has been my relocation to singapore - which was meant to happen 1 march but hr were slow with paperwork- is delayed. Has impacted a couple of my team members as well, who were both meant to take on short term overseas assignments. 

Schools closed for 4 weeks starting today, as NZ goes into lockdown mode. Only essential services to remain open. Our borders closed to foreigners a week or so ago. 

Fortunately live close to the beach, so took kids boogie boarding this evening, and if weather stays good will take them out kayaking tomorrow. 

Stay safe all

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Trouble is, as is the usual, there are those who are jeopodising the freedom of movement for the majority. I do a weekly food shop...I bet that some of these people are visiting supermarkets on a more or less daily basis. My brother was speaking to a corner shop owner who was becomimg frustrated by 'outsiders' coming from miles and clearing the shelves thus ruining it for the locals who rely on their local store and not wanting to travel miles clogging up the system.

My wife goes daily to buy a local newspaper. There is no-one who delivers it so it's the only option.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

1977  White City v Swindon was my first ever visit to White   City , and i saw a Berger Grand Prix meeting in 1978. The 1982 WTC final  1983 intercontinental Final and The OPEN Sigalos took Nielsen from the back are my fondest memories of my visits great days.

If I recall Sid the first heat all four were excluded under the two minutes (?)...do you remember why?

5 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

My wife goes daily to buy a local newspaper. There is no-one who delivers it so it's the only option.

I'm trying to keep our local newsagent in business...not sure for how long however!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall Sid the first heat all four were excluded under the two minutes (?)...do you remember why?

Steve can't remember why ??? all four were reinstated,  19/07/77 White City 52.Swindon 26 a right mauling.I went because Malcolm Holloway was making his debut for the budgies he scored a fat 0 zero yet it was great experience for him with loads of help from Kilb (snr).Looking through some of my 1977 White City programmes a couple of notable meetings stick out are White City beating Exeter easily and in heat 1 Kennett/ Weatherly scoring  a 5.1 over Mauger.And later on in the season Michael Lee scoring a 15 point maximum there , that year Lee won quite a few individual meeting's in the UK even though he did have a duff one in the Embassy Internternation at Plough lane.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Steve can't remember why ??? all four were reinstated,  19/07/77 White City 52.Swindon 26 a right mauling.I went because Malcolm Holloway was making his debut for the budgies he scored a fat 0 zero yet it was great experience for him with loads of help from Kilb (snr).Looking through some of my 1977 White City programmes a couple of notable meetings stick out are White City beating Exeter easily and in heat 1 Kennett/ Weatherly scoring  a 5.1 over Mauger.And later on in the season Michael Lee scoring a 15 point maximum there , that year Lee won quite a few individual meeting's in the UK even though he did have a duff one in the Embassy Internternation at Plough lane.

Sorry Sid...I think I'm confusing the meeting with the one against Swindon in 1978?

Only went to white city once, 77 I'd guess. Rained off

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Trouble is, as is the usual, there are those who are jeopodising the freedom of movement for the majority. I do a weekly food shop...I bet that some of these people are visiting supermarkets on a more or less daily basis. My brother was speaking to a corner shop owner who was becomimg frustrated by 'outsiders' coming from miles and clearing the shelves thus ruining it for the locals who rely on their local store and not wanting to travel miles clogging up the system.

Tell the corner shop owner not to sell to anyone he knows is not a local.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, norbold said:

Tell the corner shop owner not to sell to anyone he knows is not a local.

I seem to recall some years ago when there was a shortage (sugar?) some local stores were only selling tp their regulars?

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Sorry Sid...I think I'm confusing the meeting with the one against Swindon in 1978?

Your memory is very  good Steve,       25/07/78 double header White City v Hull 36-42  White City v Swindon 42- 29. How bizarre was the Swindon meeting ????? heat 1 . ( 8 riders exc under the two minute rule).   G.Kennett, Gachet,Cieslak,Jurczynski,      M.Ashby, Bouchard, D.Ashby, Henry.   Heat two again weird , White City Jurczynski , Cieslak scoring a 5.0 over D.Ashby, Henry never ever seen this before in league racing had the referee been on the whacky backy by any chance.!!!!

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Your memory is very  good Steve,       25/07/78 double header White City v Hull 36-42  White City v Swindon 42- 29. How bizarre was the Swindon meeting ????? heat 1 . ( 8 riders exc under the two minute rule).   G.Kennett, Gachet,Cieslak,Jurczynski,      M.Ashby, Bouchard, D.Ashby, Henry.   Heat two again weird , White City ,Jurczynski , Cieslak scoring a 5.0 over D.Ashby, Henry never ever seen this before in league racing had the referee been on the whacky backy!!!!

Can't remember the reason behind it however...so you missed Swindon's victory at Wood Lane in 1976? Dag was blighted with engine problems I recall.

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Your memory is very  good Steve,       25/07/78 double header White City v Hull 36-42  White City v Swindon 42- 29. How bizarre was the Swindon meeting ????? heat 1 . ( 8 riders exc under the two minute rule).   G.Kennett, Gachet,Cieslak,Jurczynski,      M.Ashby, Bouchard, D.Ashby, Henry.   Heat two again weird , White City Jurczynski , Cieslak scoring a 5.0 over D.Ashby, Henry never ever seen this before in league racing had the referee been on the whacky backy!!!!

I was there Sid. That was the meeting with the dodgy silencers wasn't it.

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I seem to recall some years ago when there was a shortage (sugar?) some local stores were only selling tp their regulars?

It's a local shop for local people - we'll have no trouble here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I was there Sid. That was the meeting with the dodgy silencers wasn't it.

That sounds familiar!