British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mags4dorset

What is it that you are doing to keep yourself safe while we amidst COVID-19

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

Very underrated was Oyvind  i often think he gets forgotten  he was very popular at Oxford along with the likes of Pander, Genz, Mckinlay, Timmo, Strachan( etc).

Great names there Sid. Of course Eddie Reeves was always synonymous with Oxford.

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Great names there Sid. Of course Eddie Reeves was always synonymous with Oxford.

I miss that rivalry of Swindon v Oxford,  loved watching the Swindon v  Reading and Newport encounters as well.Really liked the 3TT fourmat  i remember going to Cowley for a 11am start ( Shirra Holloway got a 5.1 over Hans in heat 1) then back to the Abbey at night.

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I miss that rivalry of Swindon v Oxford,  loved watching the Swindon v  Reading and Newport encounters as well.Really liked the 3TT fourmat  i remember going to Cowley for a 11am start ( Shirra Holloway got a 5.1 over Hans in heat 1) then back to the Abbey at night.

Personally I used to hate the 3TT! We never did any good in them!! But yes the local derbies were always spirited affairs and I would imagine sadly missed in the speedway calander now. I have an abundant of speedway DVDs so no doubt will be dipping into those during these very unsettling times...it'll get worse before it gets better in my view (especially if I'm unable to do any fishing with all this fine weather forecast...there is only so much decorating I can do!)

• Like 1

I've just contacted my local angling society for an update as regards fishing in isolation and whether they expect to receive guidelines as to whether it's acceptable to isolate one self and whether it falls under the category of 'taking exercise' and 'fresh air'. Personally I'm not holding out any hope although my local fishing spot is literaly just down the road from where I live so I wouldn't be travelling more than a mile.

No way that I wish to become a slave to just watching TV but what with my very extensive DVD collection I intend settling down each afternoon and watch one classic movie...afternoon matinee performance...with some comfort food!

Edited by steve roberts

15 hours ago, DC2 said:

Finally, sex on your own is the in thing to do.  :)

I'd turn me down!

• Haha 2

The question of whether fishing would be acceptable as an isolating activity was a question raised on the main BBC news yesterday and the answer was a bit ambiguous. I've checked with my local lakes (1 mile down the road) and they were still open for business and although I would have no contact with anyone I guess that my conscience is telling me to avoid such an activity observing the spirit of recent developments. Shame as it would have given me peace of mind but it would come across as hypocritical if I was to follow such a route.

The local nature reserve sites have shut the visitor centres but the sites are still open for people as they are big sites so people will not be clumped together and also people go there to walk and get exercise.

7 minutes ago, Richspeedway said:

The local nature reserve sites have shut the visitor centres but the sites are still open for people as they are big sites so people will not be clumped together and also people go there to walk and get exercise.

The RSPB have closed their sites...I would normally be thinking of visiting Bempton Cliiffs some time soon when the seas birds congregate in great numbers for the new breeding season. I wonder if "Springwatch" will be transmitted this year?

Bit of a dilemma for me. The spot I was hoping to go to for a bit of bird watching is in the next county and they have banned 'tourists'....so I don't know if me travelling over the border for a few hours counts as being a tourist. Did see one woman on FB ranting about day tourists though. The thing is, as I said before, I would just be in my car and have no contact with anyone. Whereas if I just go round by foot in my local area I have the problem of people coming up to me and talking to me, just like yesterday. An old guy who didn't look too healthy with his runny nose came up and asked if I had seen anything interesting and then carried on talking.........which normally annoys me anyway. Often I am stalking a bird trying to get a better look and then lose track f where it is. Or like the woman who came along with her dog when I had spent abut 20 minutes getting close to a kingfisher and she said quite loud 'i'm coming past.....oh,that was a kingfisher !' as it flew off . I really could have killed her

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 7:08 AM, steve roberts said:

Personally I used to hate the 3TT! We never did any good in them!! But yes the local derbies were always spirited affairs and I would imagine sadly missed in the speedway calander now. I have an abundant of speedway DVDs so no doubt will be dipping into those during these very unsettling times...it'll get worse before it gets better in my view (especially if I'm unable to do any fishing with all this fine weather forecast...there is only so much decorating I can do!)

I used to enjoy the Swindon v Oxford meetings but sadly those days have gone. Great meetings, great atmosphere, good crowds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Bit of a dilemma for me. The spot I was hoping to go to for a bit of bird watching is in the next county and they have banned 'tourists'....so I don't know if me travelling over the border for a few hours counts as being a tourist. Did see one woman on FB ranting about day tourists though. The thing is, as I said before, I would just be in my car and have no contact with anyone. Whereas if I just go round by foot in my local area I have the problem of people coming up to me and talking to me, just like yesterday. An old guy who didn't look too healthy with his runny nose came up and asked if I had seen anything interesting and then carried on talking.........which normally annoys me anyway. Often I am stalking a bird trying to get a better look and then lose track f where it is. Or like the woman who came along with her dog when I had spent abut 20 minutes getting close to a kingfisher and she said quite loud 'i'm coming past.....oh,that was a kingfisher !' as it flew off . I really could have killed her

I visited my local nature reserve on Sunday and was the only one in the hide but when I went along to the next one there was an elderly man there which I didn't have a problem with as we were well apart. However it turned out that he was deaf and had forgotten his hearing aid and came across to me to talk and show me photos he had taken on his camera...just my luck!

• Like 1

Just now, steve roberts said:

I visited my local nature reserve on Sunday and was the only one in the hide but when I went along to the next one there was an elderly man there which I didn't have a problem with as we were well apart. However it turned out that he was deaf and had forgotten his hearing aid and came across to me to talk and show me photos he had taken on his camera...just my luck!

Well I had a similar but better experience last summer. A beautiful polish woman ,who was very well equipped I must say (camera wise) started talking and seemed to want to show me all the hundreds if not thousands of photos (most very good) she had saved on her camera. It did get a bit tiring as I am not only looking for birds and insects or in this case an area where snakes and lizards are seen. She even invited me to join here the following days to one or two spots she knew including a place Eagle Owls are known. But tbh I was glad to finally get away....I couldn't get a word in edgeways

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well I had a similar but better experience last summer. A beautiful polish woman ,who was very well equipped I must say (camera wise) started talking and seemed to want to show me all the hundreds if not thousands of photos (most very good) she had saved on her camera. It did get a bit tiring as I am not only looking for birds and insects or in this case an area where snakes and lizards are seen. She even invited me to join here the following days to one or two spots she knew including a place Eagle Owls are known. But tbh I was glad to finally get away....I couldn't get a word in edgeways

Yes I go looking for solitude personally...went on a ramble some years ago with about 15 people. Can't say I enjoyed it very much. Prefer just me, the other half and the dog!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

The RSPB have closed their sites...I would normally be thinking of visiting Bempton Cliiffs some time soon when the seas birds congregate in great numbers for the new breeding season. I wonder if "Springwatch" will be transmitted this year?

Yeah I doubt that will be on this year though the programme is on a little later in the year but they would of been doing the filming for bits now. Brandon Nature Reserve is shut but if you are a member like you can still go in through the members gate with the code. Middleton Lakes is still open but that one you can gain access via the canal and a couple of different routes and you usually see people walking dogs and jogging round there so that one should be ok.

• Like 1