British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mags4dorset

What is it that you are doing to keep yourself safe while we amidst COVID-19

1 hour ago, Mr Snackette said:

I live in Spain, and we have been in lockdown for a week now. The State of Alarm measures (amongst others) dictate the following:

Leaving your home is limited to the following activities: buying food, going to the pharmacy or bank. Travelling between your workplace and place of residence. Taking care of children, the elderly and other especially vulnerable people. These activities are to be done alone, except when accompanying people with disabilities or for another justified reason.

Vehicles cannot be shared, except for justified reasons. In this case, the passenger must sit at the rear of the car and both occupants of the vehicle must wear a mask.

Pizzerias, hamburger joints, etc., must be closed to the public, and only home delivery is accepted.

Petrol Stations may remain open to the public, however, the shops must be closed, as well as the cafeteria and bathroom, except for the use of lorry drivers, bus drivers, ambulances etc.

All bars and restaurants must be closed. However, home delivery is permitted under the same conditions as fast-food businesses.

Supermarkets, food shops, pharmacies, medical centres, opticians, orthopaedic centres, hygiene and cleaning product shops, press and stationery shops, tobacconists, telephone shops, pet shops for food only, dry cleaners and laundries may be open. Health security measures must be followed at all times.

Law enforcement bodies may request documentation and proof for such presence on public roads, such as supermarket tickets, prescriptions, etc. In addition, pedestrians may be asked for their identification and sanctioned for repetitive, invalid and dishonest behaviour.

My guess is the UK is around 10 days away from similar measures being introduced.

As current experience is showing asking people to follow guidelines isn't working, so if the UK is serious about beating this thing. then far more prescriptive/draconian measures are needed!

Giving some of the scenes at supermarkets up and down the Country on social media its clear the advice on staying indoors and avoiding crowds is being largely ignored. That will leave the Government little option the call a lock down with the closure of non-essential shops.

On a personal level I have continued to work, I work in the food manufacturing and distribution, even if we do go to lock down I guess that will continue.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, norbold said:

My food parcel's arrived....no crumpets though!

What is it with the lack of crumpets? It's not as if people can stock pile them...defies logic to me but I've given up trying to get into the minds of the masses (not that I want to even go there in fear of what I might find!)

• Haha 2

Can't you do the shortage a body swerve and just buy a crumpet maker ?

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

What is it with the lack of crumpets? It's not as if people can stock pile them...defies logic to me but I've given up trying to get into the minds of the masses (not that I want to even go there in fear of what I might find!)

Surely people can stock pile them - just whack them in the freezer? Crumpet shortage not yet hit nz...

2 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Surely people can stock pile them - just whack them in the freezer? Crumpet shortage not yet hit nz...

I know who I'd like to whack in a freezer!

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Loads to do with my speedway memorabilia collection,  and lots of peace and quiet the wife is still at work lovely jubbly.

Wish I'd kept my programmes Sid...would have enjoyed ploughing thru' that little lot!

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Wish I'd kept my programmes Sid...would have enjoyed ploughing thru' that little lot!

Have been sorting all of my White City programmes out Steve, forgot just how good Gordon Kennett was around his home track.

9 hours ago, screm said:

Giving some of the scenes at supermarkets up and down the Country on social media its clear the advice on staying indoors and avoiding crowds is being largely ignored.

How are you supposed to get weekly groceries then if not going to the supermarket?  I certainly don't want to but ASDA have stopped online shopping that I have been using for over three years.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Have been sorting all of my White City programmes out Steve, forgot just how good Gordon Kennett was around his home track.

Yes, Sid, Gordon was superlative around Wood Lane. Marek Cieslak handled the flat track as good as anyone (ncluding Gordon) during 1977 (went off the boil somewhat in 1978) and his outsdie sweeps were a joy to behold. Great memories trips "to the smoke" on Wednesdays and occasional Tuesdays. Wouldn't have missed those days for the world...at least I have some memories of attending and following speedway during it's last "Golden Era".

6 hours ago, Gemini said:

How are you supposed to get weekly groceries then if not going to the supermarket?  I certainly don't want to but ASDA have stopped online shopping that I have been using for over three years.

Trouble is, as is the usual, there are those who are jeopodising the freedom of movement for the majority. I do a weekly food shop...I bet that some of these people are visiting supermarkets on a more or less daily basis. My brother was speaking to a corner shop owner who was becomimg frustrated by 'outsiders' coming from miles and clearing the shelves thus ruining it for the locals who rely on their local store and not wanting to travel miles clogging up the system.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes, Sid, Gordon was superlative around Wood Lane. Marek Cieslak handled the flat track as good as anyone (ncluding Gordon) during 1977 (went off the boil somewhat in 1978) and his outsdie sweeps were a joy to behold. Great memories trips "to the smoke" on Wednesdays and occasional Tuesdays. Wouldn't have missed those days for the world...at least I have some memories of attending and following speedway during it's last "Golden Era".

Me too, I was a regular and rode down from Northampton, where I then lived on my R75/5 Great Days and Great speedway racing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

1977  White City v Swindon was my first ever visit to White   City , and i saw a Berger Grand Prix meeting in 1978. The 1982 WTC final  1983 intercontinental Final and The OPEN Sigalos took Nielsen from the back are my fondest memories of my visits great days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gemini said:

I'm in nz. We normally do our supermatket shopping online. But now large numbers are doing that, there are waits of several days for delivery, and then half the items don't get delivered as "out of stock." So, we're ending up having to go to the supermarket more often than we normally would...

• Like 1