British Speedway Forum
BWitcher

RIP Mark Lawton

The sad news filtered through today of the death of Mark Lawton.

Any old school Wolverhampton, and indeed, speedway fan will know of his impact.

He was co-creator of the Wolfcry website who were one of the very first, if not the first, to begin online live updates.

He truly was one of the kindest, most generous, men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and will be sadly missed.

RIP Mark

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

The sad news filtered through today of the death of Mark Lawton.

Any old school Wolverhampton, and indeed, speedway fan will know of his impact.

He was co-creator of the Wolfcry website who were one of the very first, if not the first, to begin online live updates.

He truly was one of the kindest, most generous, men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and will be sadly missed.

RIP Mark

Blimey yeh remember him and maybe his wife or sister from the speedway mailing list years ago.

Sad news.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Blimey yeh remember him and maybe his wife or sister from the speedway mailing list years ago.

Sad news.

That would be his sister Ruth.

Sad to hear this news, I like many knew Mark through Wolves Speedway and always enjoyed great banter with him,I had the pleasure in the mid 80’s to be team mates with him in the Speedway ten pin bowling league, and with his strength and frame could certainly deliver a mean bowl, such a sad loss RIP Mark

Dreadful news. The best thing about watching speedway for decades was that you got the opportunity to meet some special people. Lawt was one of them. 

RIP

• Like 1

I had  a couple of dealings with Mark. He was a really nice, friendly and helpful man. I am so sorry to hear of his demise.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

R.I.P. + Mark

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I had  a couple of dealings with Mark. He was a really nice, friendly and helpful man. I am so sorry to hear of his demise.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

R.I.P. + Mark

nice to see you on here - unfortunate circumstances however

• Like 1

Yes - very sad ch958.

Thanks.

To me, Mark was the pioneer who took the power of the Internet to Wolves fans. The fans communication age started with him. He created a 'family' that could meet via the keyboard or talk traditionally at the first step of the middle terrace above the starting gate. The management could never embrace this and even the building of that concrete monolith couldn't beat the Wolfcry crowd. Die hard Wolves fans were lost to the sport but Mark's legacy remains.

Once, I went to Wombourne and Mark drove me to Poole. We chatted all the way and settled the dust in a Pub in the New Forest. It's the only time I wished the Dorset trek could have been longer!

My life was the richer for meeting him. The politics of Speedway hurt him... the sport didn't.

I said Speedway, Bob Dylan and the odd beer or two kept me going. He understood that. 

We have lost a gifted teacher - Gods' Internet has just gone up a level.

RIP Mark. May you never be forgotten.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Lefty, that is a wonderful tribute to Mark and far better than I could have put it.  He really did pioneer the concept of the internet in Speedway, and indeed helped me begin my own journalistic career because I started out penning match reports for the Wolfcry forum while still in my teens.  My family became part of the Wolfcry collective and had some incredible times travelling to meetings and social events - Mark and his many friends made speedway fun, which is what the sport should be.  His impromptu 50th birthday party on turn two at Belle Vue, organised by Ruth and others, still lives strong in my memory today, and thanks to him and his vision I have made several friends for life through Wolfcry.

Even away from Speedway he always had time for everyone and was always willing to listen to anyone's problems, a truly special man.

Rest in peace Mark, and thank you for being a friend to everyone.

• Like 1

Got to know mark from working at the track at wolves top guy. RIP big man

I'd never met, or indeed heard of him, but judging by the comments on here he seemed a top man.

RIP

The BV v Wolves matches of the early nineties were great...

Big crowds and fantastic racing...

Mark and the Woflcry gang used to stand next to us and the verbal (mostly good natured;)) banter between the two sets fans was always a huge part of the evening...

RIP Mark..

Sorry to read this news. Just like The Doctor, I remember Mark from the speedway mailing list years ago.

RIP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Sorry to read this news. Just like The Doctor, I remember Mark from the speedway mailing list years ago.

RIP

Welcome back Steve!