British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Lambert to comeback stronger.?

Before this nightmare began for all of us, i had three wishes for the  new season ahead .That was for Robert Lambert to kick on,Jason Crump to have a successful comeback and for Anders Rowe to hold his own in the Premiership.Lambert is a rider i really rate i enjoy watching him ride and i believe he can still make the breakthrough to the GPS  and be on the world stage on a regular basis.Looking at the series looking in , there does not seem that much talent coming through that could compete in the series and make the top eight Smektala is the one that i think is in pole position.Can  Lambert push on ??? what do people think is he good anough.???.For me at the moment Lambert,Smektala, Drabik,Kubera, Chugunov, and in the future Lidsey are the only riders likely to make the breakthrough be interesting to know what others think.

17 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Before this nightmare began for all of us, i had three wishes for the  new season ahead .That was for Robert Lambert to kick on,Jason Crump to have a successful comeback and for Anders Rowe to hold his own in the Premiership.Lambert is a rider i really rate i enjoy watching him ride and i believe he can still make the breakthrough to the GPS  and be on the world stage on a regular basis.Looking at the series looking in , there does not seem that much talent coming through that could compete in the series and make the top eight Smektala is the one that i think is in pole position.Can  Lambert push on ??? what do people think is he good anough.???.For me at the moment Lambert,Smektala, Drabik,Kubera, Chugunov, and in the future Lidsey are the only riders likely to make the breakthrough be interesting to know what others think.

Ues he can really kick on. In fact, this break in play will do every rider who's had operations & injuries over the winter & also those with long term injuries.

I'd say, if this season (year) doesn't start at all which is currently predicted for most sports, we should see the 'fittest' set of rider's the sport has ever seen.

This providing UK Speedway survives in it's current format after Covid-19. 

I think Robert is at his level. He is inconsistent, he has good seasons and not so good ones. I cannot, and obviously i hope to be proved wrong, see him in the GP's in the coming years. He has the experience to be better than he is, if that makes sense, so i cannot see him getting any better.

I think Lambert still always struggle to mix it with the big boys on a regular basis until he learns the art of gating, you can't give the quality riders a head start from the gate and more often then not Robert misses the start, he's not as bad a gater as Harris but not a whole lot better either.

He is what 21/22 and has achieved a lot in his career already.

I can’t believe anyone would say he has reached his peak.

So long as he takes the chances offered to him and makes the most of trying to  break thru in the Polish league I’d like to think there is plenty more to come.

The trouble being of course is that he has been thrust onto the world stage pretty early in his career so that’s always going to be hard to top.

I see no reason why he won’t continue growing as a sportsperson.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

He is what 21/22 and has achieved a lot in his career already.

I can’t believe anyone would say he has reached his peak.

So long as he takes the chances offered to him and makes the most of trying to  break thru in the Polish league I’d like to think there is plenty more to come.

The trouble being of course is that he has been thrust onto the world stage pretty early in his career so that’s always going to be hard to top.

I see no reason why he won’t continue growing as a sportsperson.

Woffinden is a fine example of showing what can be done after regrouping ,then putting total dedication  into practice along with his  natural ability.Lambert is a fine rider a superb rider technically and has not reached his level or peak yet people often forget what he has achieved already and is still a young man.

• Like 3

There is no doubt that Robert had a poor 2019 but you cant judge him on one season.  He started the season with equipment he had trouble with. Then when he was getting over that he had those two big crashes within days when he did a lot of  neck  and shoulder injuries whitch he never  got over  and in hind site he should have rested until now   having now had  over 6 months to rest  it will see what the next months has done to help . when and if 2020 ever gets going

He’s still very young, he seems older as he started in our Elite League at sixteen but there is every chance he hasn’t reached his peak. After an excellent 2018 a slow start and then two huge crashes prevented him kicking on further but it would be silly to rule him out of one day being a GP rider.  

• Like 2

Many riders reach their peak after passing 30 nowadays. So Robert Lambert has plenty of time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Many riders reach their peak after passing 30 nowadays. So Robert Lambert has plenty of time

Doyley is a great example eh Arnieg !!!! how many of us can believe what he has achieved a great example to all riders not to give up on there dream.

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

He’s still very young, he seems older as he started in our Elite League at sixteen but there is every chance he hasn’t reached his peak. After an excellent 2018 a slow start and then two huge crashes prevented him kicking on further but it would be silly to rule him out of one day being a GP rider.  

You Bagpuss like myself are a big fan of Robert , Sommelier another forum member also is a massive fan ( he has watched him everywhere) .What are his strengths in your opinion? for me he has a real racing brain can pass and some of his moves are calculated a joy to watch.The race last year at Belle Vue in the under 21s WTC with Smektala is one of the best races i have ever seen ( Smektala looked slow great skill to defend Lambert is up there with Smektala,Drabik,.,

Robert had a fantastic 2018, averaging a whopping 9.32 from his 22 meetings, and he was gating as well. In 2019 it dropped to 7.76 from his 19 meetings.

As said Lambo didn't have a great season with bike problems, then injuries last season..I was expecting a fully fit Lambo could/should average around 8.50 this season.

At his age he has time on his side.

As well as the bike issues and niggling injuries last season he had a very busy schedule as well, uk, poland, sweden, germany, euro championship, world under 21's and the majority of the gp's, that is one very busy season.

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

You Bagpuss like myself are a big fan of Robert , Sommelier another forum member also is a massive fan ( he has watched him everywhere) .What are his strengths in your opinion? for me he has a real racing brain can pass and some of his moves are calculated a joy to watch.The race last year at Belle Vue in the under 21s WTC with Smektala is one of the best races i have ever seen ( Smektala looked slow great skill to defend Lambert is up there with Smektala,Drabik,.,

Was a massive fan of Lambert. I don't know but something may have happened between those 2 & wasn't to complimentary of Lambert during 2019.

Doing too much riding in 2019 ( even for a young gun who lives, eats and breathes speedway ) and having at least two injuries to carry, defintely took the edge off Robert's riding last season. There is no doubt in my mind that he will return to the glorious form of 2018 before long. He is destined for the very top and will be World Champion before he is 30 ( so plenty of time! )

• Like 1