British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Lambert to comeback stronger.?

5 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Doing too much riding in 2019 ( even for a young gun who lives, eats and breathes speedway ) and having at least two injuries to carry, defintely took the edge off Robert's riding last season. There is no doubt in my mind that he will return to the glorious form of 2018 before long. He is destined for the very top and will be World Champion before he is 30 ( so plenty of time! )

World Champion before he is 30! brave words, hope you are right, as I am English through and through, but after Robert's impeccable 2018 he some what lost his way before his accidents etc. My big concern was how easily he was moved out of the way especially on first turns. Having watched speedway from 68 I have seen many a rider when they mature towards the end of their career will back off in tight situations (understandably) my concern is Robert last year at 21 just not showing how hard you have to be to progress. On another note I believe POTENTIALY Drew Kemp has a massive future and could be our next English hope, that is why I have put a serious amount of money into him this year, only this morning a new PJR engine for collection next week

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 10:20 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Before this nightmare began for all of us, i had three wishes for the  new season ahead .That was for Robert Lambert to kick on,Jason Crump to have a successful comeback and for Anders Rowe to hold his own in the Premiership.Lambert is a rider i really rate i enjoy watching him ride and i believe he can still make the breakthrough to the GPS  and be on the world stage on a regular basis.Looking at the series looking in , there does not seem that much talent coming through that could compete in the series and make the top eight Smektala is the one that i think is in pole position.Can  Lambert push on ??? what do people think is he good anough.???.For me at the moment Lambert,Smektala, Drabik,Kubera, Chugunov, and in the future Lidsey are the only riders likely to make the breakthrough be interesting to know what others think.

Lambert is awesome round the NSS, I would go as far to say he is a match for anyone there, if he could take his NSS form into the GP'S then I would say he could be a top 8 rider on a regular basis. But and this is massive, any world champ needs to be able to gate regularly. And there lies his problem.

PS I can't believe you have put Lidsey (who I rate highly) before our own Dan Bewley (who I rate higher.) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sommelier said:

World Champion before he is 30! brave words, hope you are right, as I am English through and through, but after Robert's impeccable 2018 he some what lost his way before his accidents etc.

I too have watched speedway for many years ( 1949 ) but I don't remember much of that until Ove Fundin came to Norwich . I watched Robert from his earliest National League laps at Saddlebow Road and I genuinely believe he has what it takes to move up the last cpuple of steps from  2018. Dan Bewley looked almsot as good as Lambo until his horrific accident.  He looks as if he will come back well too. Lambo will be World Champion ( if he gets the one or two lucky breaks, that anyone needs to get there - to the very top ). Good luck to Drew Kemp too.

2 hours ago, hyderd said:

Lambert is awesome round the NSS, I would go as far to say he is a match for anyone there, if he could take his NSS form into the GP'S then I would say he could be a top 8 rider on a regular basis. But and this is massive, any world champ needs to be able to gate regularly. And there lies his problem.

PS I can't believe you have put Lidsey (who I rate highly) before our own Dan Bewley (who I rate higher.) 

I like Bewley and before his injury Bewley was doing nicely in Poland. Lidsey  for me is a rider i really like he will progress Dan this will be  a big year for him ( if it starts).He needs to improve his away form and consistency,  though he is capable of borderlining on world class in the near future.

• Like 2

Lambert is undoubtedly a great talent, one who was seemingly destined for the very top, particularly when he burst on to the league racing scene. To look at where he is in relation to his age shows just how well he has done as a British rider. Can he get better? Undoubtedly. Will he get better? Who knows. Some of Lamberts peers age wise in world speedway are better than him at present, that doesn’t mean they will always be better than him. 

It is easy to forget how young he is due to how long he has been on the scene. I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but if there is room for him to improve his fitness and professionalism then that would only make him an even better prospect. What I do know from watching him is that his gating and work in the first bend could be improved upon. If he does that then a world championship is not out of the question in the future. However they don’t give world championships out for fun, look at the likes of Leigh Adams who spent the majority of his career at the pinnacle of the sport and never claimed the ultimate prize. 

I’d love to see Robert competing at the sharp end of the GP series in years to come and I believe that he is still the best prospect we have by a country mile at present. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Lambert is undoubtedly a great talent, one who was seemingly destined for the very top, particularly when he burst on to the league racing scene. To look at where he is in relation to his age shows just how well he has done as a British rider. Can he get better? Undoubtedly. Will he get better? Who knows. Some of Lamberts peers age wise in world speedway are better than him at present, that doesn’t mean they will always be better than him. 

It is easy to forget how young he is due to how long he has been on the scene. I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but if there is room for him to improve his fitness and professionalism then that would only make him an even better prospect. What I do know from watching him is that his gating and work in the first bend could be improved upon. If he does that then a world championship is not out of the question in the future. However they don’t give world championships out for fun, look at the likes of Leigh Adams who spent the majority of his career at the pinnacle of the sport and never claimed the ultimate prize. 

I’d love to see Robert competing at the sharp end of the GP series in years to come and I believe that he is still the best prospect we have by a country mile at present. 

For Lambert, he has to cut it in the Ekstraliga or he'll just become another one of those Brits where we end up saying "what a waste of a great talant." 

At his age, he's better than most other rider's around the world of the same age, except for the Pole's. 

Some say he has time on his side, thinking about it though, I'd now say the opposite. I think he has 2 years tops or the Ekstraliga won't ever touch him again & being in that league is absolutely critical in being able to finance any hope of cutting it at GP level. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

For Lambert, he has to cut it in the Ekstraliga or he'll just become another one of those Brits where we end up saying "what a waste of a great talant." 

At his age, he's better than most other rider's around the world of the same age, except for the Pole's. 

Some say he has time on his side, thinking about it though, I'd now say the opposite. I think he has 2 years tops or the Ekstraliga won't ever touch him again & being in that league is absolutely critical in being able to finance any hope of cutting it at GP level. 

Not at all. Jason Doyle was still riding second division speedway here at 27 as one example. Lambert is miles ahead of Doyle when the two were the same age. Of course they’re different people and their career arcs will naturally be different but if Lambert suddenly kicked on to the elite level at the age of 30 he’ll be picked up in Poland. 

• Like 2

Roberts next year could well be a pivotal point in his career. Will probably be 2021 now.. JD is not the norm. Last season he had bike troubles early and a heavy work load. Then came the injuries. In 2018 he was gating much better. Hence his high average. IMHO he needs to be fit as he can be and work with a trapper (bike set up) and reflex work. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Not at all. Jason Doyle was still riding second division speedway here at 27 as one example. Lambert is miles ahead of Doyle when the two were the same age. Of course they’re different people and their career arcs will naturally be different but if Lambert suddenly kicked on to the elite level at the age of 30 he’ll be picked up in Poland. 

The difference with Doyle is he wasn't established in the Ekstraliga. Had Doyle done the Ekstraliga at 21, been poor they would have dropped double quick and never to be seen again. He pretty much hit the ground running in the Ekstraliga and never looked back. Lambert is their earlier and has to perform or he gets left behind. History has shown how ruthless the Pole's are. If Lambert fails in the Ekstraliga in the next 2 seasons that's pretty much a top level career gone for him. 

7 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The difference with Doyle is he wasn't established in the Ekstraliga. Had Doyle done the Ekstraliga at 21, been poor they would have dropped double quick and never to be seen again. He pretty much hit the ground running in the Ekstraliga and never looked back. Lambert is their earlier and has to perform or he gets left behind. History has shown how ruthless the Pole's are. If Lambert fails in the Ekstraliga in the next 2 seasons that's pretty much a top level career gone for him. 

No it isn’t. They are ruthless (pun not intended) but they aren’t stupid. If any rider went into their top league and struggled then eight or nine years later was suddenly riding at an elite level a team would pick them up because it is a sport and it’s about winning.

Edited by Ben91
  • Like 4

I’m not sure Britain carries much weight any more but in theory if the Extraliga discarded him and in five or six years he’s excelling in Sweden, Euros, SWC and perhaps even GP’s then of course Poland wouldn’t ignore him. 

Hopefully it won’t cone to that though and he starts cutting in in Poland as soon as it starts again. 

• Like 3

Lambert would be a world beater if he could gate with the best, but he does have time on his side,I'll use Leon Madsen as an example, he was good but not great until he won the European championship.If Lambert was 1st coming out of the 2nd bend, he wouldn't lose to many races. If you are looking at this Robert practice your reflex until you're sick of doing it, then do it again, you are good enough as is Dan Bewley albeit a year or 2 behind you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:01 PM, Daniel Smith said:

Are Drabik, Kubera much  better than Robert  ??? maybe Drabik  Smektala is the only rider around his age that i would say is better and even then that is marginal.Doyle as Ben 91 eludes to is a fine example if you progress whatever age or whatever stage of your career you are at you will get a place in Poland i believe Robert will do that in the future he is to good not to.

Polish U21 riders have the advantage of a bottomless pit of sponsorship meaning missile bikes and I think the reserve system in the Extraliga helps them too. We'll only find out over the next 5-10 years who is the best of those who have just graduated from the U21 scene. 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Polish U21 riders have the advantage of a bottomless pit of sponsorship meaning missile bikes and I think the reserve system in the Extraliga helps them too. We'll only find out over the next 5-10 years who is the best of those who have just graduated from the U21 scene. 

Missile bikes? you must have one hell of a lot of knowledge regarding polish riders. I for one do a lot of polish league meetings, I must of under estimated your knowledge of polish riders. I will give you an example, last night I had an in-depth conversation with Peter Johns who I have a new engine to pick up for Drew Kemp. I explained to him that Drew is looking to break in to the lower division of Poland in the next couple of years if progression continues. I talked to PJR regarding a new polish engine, he explained in detail ALL HIS ENGINES are of GP standard and no need for a special engine for Poland, I admire his honestly of not trying to get money out of me for another engine. The new engine was only £5200.00 + VAT how cheap is that in modern day motor sports! so I await you reply regarding poles on missile bikes