British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Lambert to comeback stronger.?

Think it’s way too early for him not at gp level,fricke has outrode him most big meets over the last few years ,another that has reached a level and hard to find the extra that it takes, as u will see this year with fricke ,think he wil struggle to get gp round win .lambert was better 18months ago but a quick young rider with time on his side to make it,but there is another 15  to 20 riders in the same boat

I would currently place Drabik and Smektala above Lambert but none of them have reached their full potential I would imagine. What matters is what these riders are like at their peak and when they hit it. Look at Greg Hancock, he probably peaked 5-10 years before he won his last three world titles but the competition around him was better at that time. There are many factors that determine who has a better career but that doesn’t necessarily make one rider better than another who achieves less. It is all about circumstance.

It is also worth noting (fittingly in relation to Hancock) that Lambert was almost a permanent GP rider last season due to Greg’s issues however he would not have been expecting that when he prepared for the season and then during the year there was the uncertainty as to whether Hancock would be back at any point or not. That must have had a knock-on effect on Robert’s performances both in and out of the GP. He still managed to mix it on occasion and had he been fully geared up for a full GP campaign I feel he would have fared better than he did in his bit part role last year. 

4 hours ago, Ben91 said:

I would currently place Drabik and Smektala above Lambert but none of them have reached their full potential I would imagine. What matters is what these riders are like at their peak and when they hit it. Look at Greg Hancock, he probably peaked 5-10 years before he won his last three world titles but the competition around him was better at that time. There are many factors that determine who has a better career but that doesn’t necessarily make one rider better than another who achieves less. It is all about circumstance.

It is also worth noting (fittingly in relation to Hancock) that Lambert was almost a permanent GP rider last season due to Greg’s issues however he would not have been expecting that when he prepared for the season and then during the year there was the uncertainty as to whether Hancock would be back at any point or not. That must have had a knock-on effect on Robert’s performances both in and out of the GP. He still managed to mix it on occasion and had he been fully geared up for a full GP campaign I feel he would have fared better than he did in his bit part role last year. 

Your point about Hancock is a relevant one, in five years time when Lambert is 25/26 he should be reaching his peak.How many of the riders in the GP series now will be either on the slide or have dropped out altogether. So you would think Lambert would be part of new era of GP riders a different ball game to what it is now.

• Like 1

It’s also worth noting that Robert won races and reached semis in the GP before his crash in the SoN which completely knocked the stuffing out of him, he was never the same after that particularly round the first two bends. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s also worth noting that Robert won races and reached semis in the GP before his crash in the SoM which completely knocked the stuffing out of him, he was never the same after that particularly round the first two bends. 

Totally agree with you on that one

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s also worth noting that Robert won races and reached semis in the GP before his crash in the SoN which completely knocked the stuffing out of him, he was never the same after that particularly round the first two bends. 

I thought generally he acquitted himself very well before that injury interupted his season.Also it is worth remembering what Tai Woffinden achieved in his maiden GP series he learned alot from that year and came back even stronger.I do think the point made about Robert not quite having the set up aquipment and package yet to be a full time GP rider is right that takes time and money but he will get there eventually.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 10:31 PM, Bagpuss said:

Calm down dear! And remove that chip from your shoulder while you’re at it. 

Young Polish riders have always had the best kit, that’s just the way it is and stands to reason with the finances that speedway over there has, the best ones are heavily subsidised by the clubs/authorities and U21 success is demanded. That’s said without bitterness or jealousy, it’s just how it works. 

As said we’ll see over the next five, ten, fifteen years who turns out to be the best of the current crop. As things stand U21 results and averages don’t lie but everyone knows what a tough year Robert had and that has to be a factor. Pretty sure he will come back stronger. 

It’s a well known fact that Polish speedway has a lot more than anywhere else. Polish riders get their engines re tuned way , way more often than Brits etc. and this comes from a couple of riders who have rode in Poland , Sweden and the UK. 

you only have to look at how much better they are kitted out than any other country. 

• Like 1