British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sotonian

One Day World Final?

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Exactly. You can hardly start a ‘series’, until all the countries and their riders involved have opened up their borders and ok’d sporting events. Doubt any Polish rider for instance is going to leave their country until they know they will get back in ok, without having to spend 2 weeks in quarantine. That goes for all the others as well

This seems to confirm what other countries have also been saying...,

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/coronavirus-lockdown-measures-uk-could-21853443?fbclid=IwAR1RxG-2nbfudPICIrd2UQJjk3cWZaAue9n1CT8yQcqyNvHKUBn6tRSFGxU

OBVIOUSLY that is true but none of us know whether that will apply in May, June, July or even August. 

8 hours ago, Mark said:

Id be surprised if Cardiff goes ahead July 18th  The Open golf is cancelled on the same weekend and Wimbledon the previous weekend has gone.    Its not an event that would run behind closed doors.   International travel into the UK has to be monitored closely for a long while yet.   Maybe I'm too pessimistic.

You're not allowed out unless for essential work' essential shopping or medical appointments etc, a limited exercise period and must exercise social distancing, these are the Government guidelines to keep us safe. The same Government are doing very little regarding international travel into the UK. Everyday planes are flying into the country from hotspots of infection around the world such as China, Italy and USA, The passengers are not checked for infection or quarantined.

6 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

No doubt BSI and the FIM are still clinging to July 18th but the Principality has a roof and staging it there late (very late maybe) in the year must come into the equation surely?

I can't see Cardiff being allowed to stage a SGP round as early as July 18th. Even if the lockdown is over by then, some degree of social distancing will still be required. That's possible at league meetings with a crowd of 500-1000, but not with 40,000 at Cardiff.

I like the idea of a November staging to conclude the series - the UK hasn't held the final round since 1995. It would be a nice way to celebrate the 20th staging at the Principality Stadium.

4 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

You're not allowed out unless for essential work' essential shopping or medical appointments etc, a limited exercise period and must exercise social distancing, these are the Government guidelines to keep us safe. The same Government are doing very little regarding international travel into the UK. Everyday planes are flying into the country from hotspots of infection around the world such as China, Italy and USA, The passengers are not checked for infection or quarantined.

That is madness!?! 

The Principality Stadium is now an improvised hospital like the Excel, now Nightingale hospital, in London.  Will take some major decision to remove that facility. I don’t think we will see much speedway this year if any.

I really can’t see Cardiff happening this year 40.000 people normally I’d guess some will decide it’s not worth the risk going so say 30.000 decide to go you then got hotels that need to open bars restaurants shops all will you’d think be busy all this to me = a hot bed for the virus . Then there is the locals in Cardiff would they want people from all over the UK in there city ? Just can’t see how it will happen this year and July 18 is way to soon 

I am totally shocked that normally sensible people are even contemplating any speedway this year. If we can get the 2021 season started that will be a success.

We currently arent allowed to go visit our own children, so mass gatherings and sports events have to be way off on the future.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

That is madness!?! 

Completely agree.

But nobody in the media seems to be asking the question. 

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE bottom line is that none of us know but, personally, I prefer to remain optimistic. 

I prefer to wait and see - it tends to work....

22 hours ago, Mark said:

I can see some sense is what is said by Rocket.   Cardiff does have its bad points.  There is obvious profiteering from some well known companies who bulk buy hotel rooms and then sell on individually for profit.  Its a quick buck made from fans.   The racing can be from the gate in a lot of heats.    Manchester is a far better track for proper racing but Cardiff does have the plus points of having a stadium in the centre of town and a roof.     Its not complusory you buy booze at inflated prices, plenty of time for booze before and after if your a drinker.

Playing the "Manchester is always wet" card again?

Belle Vue is a brand new facility with fantastic drainage.  The moment it was built,  the contract for Cardiff should have been stuck in a shredder.  Speedway owes nothing to Cardiff.  Bin it.

9 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

Belle Vue is a brand new facility with fantastic drainage.  The moment it was built,  the contract for Cardiff should have been stuck in a shredder.  Speedway owes nothing to Cardiff.  Bin it.

Do you work for the BSPA? This is the kind of idiotic idea they'd come out with.

Let's go from 40,000 crowds to 10,000. That will be a major stepping stone for the sport!

2 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

WITH respect cannot imagine spending most of the day virtually outside the NSS apart from the fact that no matter what it will never hold 40,000. The whole Cardiff package, in my humble opinion, is unbeatable. Yes, the track could possibly be better but in my view the pros significantly outweigh the cons.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

OBVIOUSLY that is true but none of us know whether that will apply in May, June, July or even August. 

You could go the optimistic route and say that. The more realistic route listening to various leaders around Europe and beyond, is things won't get back to normal until we have a vaccine. And being optimistic, a vaccine isn't due until the Autumn.....we can all make of that what we want, but most sports seem to have given up on May, June is extremely optimistic and July/August unlikely unless you can hold events behind closed doors...

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You could go the optimistic route and say that. The more realistic route listening to various leaders around Europe and beyond, is things won't get back to normal until we have a vaccine. And being optimistic, a vaccine isn't due until the Autumn.....we can all make of that what we want, but most sports seem to have given up on May, June is extremely optimistic and July/August unlikely unless you can hold events behind closed doors...

AS BWitcher stated, let's wait and see.