British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sotonian

One Day World Final?

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 9:21 PM, Rocket87 said:

And yet I know of plenty who hated going there because of the incessant noise.  You forget that that Wembley 81 final featured 2 of the greatest races ever seen.  Nothing to do with the atmosphere. 

Cardiff highlights one of the big problems in speedway.  People just happy to put up with any old garbage, even when it costs a kings ransom.

A GP at Belle Vue would show speedway in a perfect light.  Great racing on a proper track.  You can dress up Cardiff with all the trimmings you like.  It will always be the emperor's new clothes.

Were they really two of the greatest races ever seen? Would the similar races in a league match be seen the same way?

It was the very fact that they were World Final races in a packed Wembley stadium that made those races stand out through time.

For me, possibly the best race I've ever seen was the heat 13 at Belle Vue, when Max Fricke went from last to first while the other 3 riders kept changing positions. The races between Penhall and Olsen/Knudsen never came close to that. But they are the ones that will go down in history. And that is because they were at a Wembley world final.

You talk about poor racing at Cardiff, but Harris beating Hancock to win a Grand Prix final was on a par with the Penhall races from Wembley.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bezza said:

We are now straying into value for money and how the sport positions itself when it comes to marketing....

The product itself is not an easy one to call. Sat on the terraces to watch 15 one minute races spread out over 1hr 30-45mins is certainly not everyone’s idea of a night out.

The crux for me is how you fill the gaps, maintain momentum and keep the audience (children and wives in particular) engaged during the meeting, not invite them 45mins before the start to meet a rider!

....off the top of my head

Predict the score on the way in to win 2 x tickets for the following meeting.

Cycle speedway on the in-field

Launch some t-shirts into the crowd after a 5-1

Watch a race from the centre green.

Have a push bike on hand for winner to cycle round track with nominated rider.

You would think BSPA would reach out to get people’s opinions..,

I'd rather watch someone painting a wall... :D

5 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

I'd rather watch someone painting a wall... :D

Sure you do whilst licking a window, I bet :party:

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Sure you do whilst licking a window, I bet :party:

Much prefer a Strawberry Mivi, but if needs must :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Grachan said:

Were they really two of the greatest races ever seen? Would the similar races in a league match be seen the same way?

It was the very fact that they were World Final races in a packed Wembley stadium that made those races stand out through time.

For me, possibly the best race I've ever seen was the heat 13 at Belle Vue, when Max Fricke went from last to first while the other 3 riders kept changing positions. The races between Penhall and Olsen/Knudsen never came close to that. But they are the ones that will go down in history. And that is because they were at a Wembley world final.

You talk about poor racing at Cardiff, but Harris beating Hancock to win a Grand Prix final was on a par with the Penhall races from Wembley.

Which was down to the track being riddled with ruts.  That is NOT racing.

8 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

Which was down to the track being riddled with ruts.  That is NOT racing.

No, it was bloody awful wasn't it.

The crowd booed and stormed out of the stadium never to return.

It's pretty clear you're just trolling now. I'm no Harris fan but that was one of the greatest moments in recent speedway history... in fact of all time.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 5

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 8:49 PM, iris123 said:

Macron stopped social gatherings etc until at least mid July

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/coronavirus-france-lockdown-macron-a9458386.html

Does this sort of put paid to Cardiff even in the Autumn ?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/uk-will-stay-in-lockdown-until-vaccine-is-found-health-minister-says-a4415561.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1J_pzEsxvkdS3Eq2Mvsadd9leNQazJc2hLDSIZdTzMsnSoIgzbPe-FpbE#Echobox=1586986872

And another....

On Wednesday, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said large gatherings such as sports events and concerts would probably not be allowed in the city until 2021

Edited by iris123

On 4/14/2020 at 1:46 AM, iris123 said:

To add weight to my opinion, a journalist talking about the chances of the various motorsports world championships getting started,which is given weight by the previous link I put up somewhere from the MotoGP firm doing the same job there as BSI does for speedway, saying he was sceptical that the season could get going.

Would think the odds of the British GP going ahead are low. Motorsport UK has banned events until 30 June, and whilst the ACU is yet to follow suit, other countries have already stopped motorsport well into July.

The problem is the uncertainty of committing to a large event with all the logistical arrangements and staffing that will be necessary, plus getting the track prepared. Organisers need to cut their losses well in advance. 

Germany has extended ban on large gatherings until the END of August. (although I note that tickets for Teterow at the end of May are still on sale on the SGP site )

Although I hope there are some relaxations of lockdown before then I think it unlikely that we will be significantly out of step with other European countries on this matter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Germany has extended ban on large gatherings until the END of August. (although I note that tickets for Teterow at the end of May are still on sale on the SGP site )

Although I hope there are some relaxations of lockdown before then I think it unlikely that we will be significantly out of step with other European countries on this matter.

Countries will slowly you would think slowly relax social gathering and start to define numbers.

What will constitute a "large gathering" and when.

So it's currently 2!

At the point it becomes 1000 or 2000 and at the point at which the significant majority of people are prepared to be in Crowds of 1000-2000 then in the UK we have Speedway (subject to Medical Cover).

When that is ??? The Government will dictate the ability to stage an event by numbers that's the easy part, the general supporting public being convinced it's safe will be harder! 

NOBODY knows.

I am now reconciled to it being no sooner than early 2021.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

I agree. This would make things alot easier as well. No need for qualifiers etc. FIM have a big problem rescheduling everything at the moment.

Teterow is not going to happen in May this year. They are speaking of september/october, but no confirmed date yet with BSI.

8 hours ago, HGould said:

Countries will slowly you would think slowly relax social gathering and start to define numbers.

What will constitute a "large gathering" and when.

So it's currently 2!

At the point it becomes 1000 or 2000 and at the point at which the significant majority of people are prepared to be in Crowds of 1000-2000 then in the UK we have Speedway (subject to Medical Cover).

When that is ??? The Government will dictate the ability to stage an event by numbers that's the easy part, the general supporting public being convinced it's safe will be harder! 

NOBODY knows.

How will they justify early 2021? Be in winter then with thousands dying from viruses again...

On 4/15/2020 at 9:11 AM, Phil The Ace said:

Cardiff definitely shouldn't be removed from the calendar for Manchester, Manchester should be added to the list with Cardiff 

If Belle Vue was added to the list, I can guarantee the numbers trotting off the Cardiff would drop massively.  

6 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

If Belle Vue was added to the list, I can guarantee the numbers trotting off the Cardiff would drop massively.  

Manchester may sell out due to the smaller capacity and likely cheaper seats.  Id worry about the added cost of buying an umbrella and heavy coat.  Could that turn some people away.

Cardiff would easily survive but no one could predict the exact fall in numbers attending.    

Could one feed off the other for positive publicity.