British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sotonian

One Day World Final?

On 5/14/2020 at 12:27 AM, Mark said:

This highlights the big problem with a one off final.   Run it at a really rubbish race track and we get the 'Best Gater' in the world.    Pointless.

I think you can guarantee it would be in Poland , so chances of a good race track are pretty high....

On 5/14/2020 at 12:54 AM, OveFundinFan said:

The problem is not with one off world finals - the problem is if the powers that decide which track choose an inadequate one for good racing.

Used to happen all the time in the days of one off finals. Some awful finals in the 80s - Ullevi and Norden finals stand out. 

55 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

I think you can guarantee it would be in Poland , so chances of a good race track are pretty high....

Yes likely.   I was replying to the other poster as he mentioned Prague, that is a n absolute horror track for any passing.

One off at Torun.    Tickets would sell fast and I think it's a bigger capacity than Wroclaw.     Obvious Warsaw if using a temp track but I'd like to steer clear of them.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, Sotonian said:

With the odds of speedway not returning until late in the season, there seems little prospect of a GP series. 

So, could this year's champion, if there is to be one, be decided by an old-school one-off final? 

Basic good suggestion. But if it was to take place how would the starters 'qualify'? Nomination by a National Association presumably. And for all time would follow the arguments and disputes in regard to riders nominated. And also those not nominated. Sadly a good suggestion in principle but likely to create many arguments.

Do the rules of the GP series say there has to be a certain amount of GP's for a Champion to be crowned.

45 minutes ago, Mark said:

Do the rules of the GP series say there has to be a certain amount of GP's for a Champion to be crowned.

On a quick look through the rules for this year the answer is no......but it does use the word "Series" so you have to assess that one!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gustix said:

Basic good suggestion. But if it was to take place how would the starters 'qualify'? Nomination by a National Association presumably. And for all time would follow the arguments and disputes in regard to riders nominated. And also those not nominated. Sadly a good suggestion in principle but likely to create many arguments.

Surely, John, the starters are already known......... the 15 who have already qualified for the series that would have been held plus 1 other, which in my mind would be first on the list, already established, that would be used to replace an injured rider (I don’t mean a meeting reserve, I mean series reserve).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Surely, John, the starters are already known......... the 15 who have already qualified for the series that would have been held plus 1 other, which in my mind would be first on the list, already established, that would be used to replace an injured rider (I don’t mean a meeting reserve, I mean series reserve).

An excellent response and certainly one that puts such an event into perspective. TBH I do not follow the GP Series hence perhaps the confusing comment I previously made.

2 hours ago, gustix said:

An excellent response and certainly one that puts such an event into perspective. TBH I do not follow the GP Series hence perhaps the confusing comment I previously made.

I sure its been said before John, but you really are missing out on some fantastic racing IMO.  Some of the moves are breathtaking.  Yes, we have seen breathtaking moves over the years, always have been, but on the right track there seems to be an abundance of them ie Malilla, Gustrow, Wroclaw and Torun.  Obviously passes are up to the rider as well, and the current crop of riders really are giving it all.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:27 AM, andout said:

On a quick look through the rules for this year the answer is no......but it does use the word "Series" so you have to assess that one!

5 races each is a 'series' of races....

I would personally be against a one venue World Final but if it was that or nothing then there are only 2 possibilities Cardiff or Warsaw (2 highest capacity stadiums) And if the whispers around this forum are correct that Cardiff will not be available in 2020 then lets have it in Warsaw in October. Thursday practice. GP1 on friday, GP2 on saturday & a final Rd on sunday.

15 GP riders plus 2019 SEC winner Michelsen

I really don't mind how they do it this year, one, two or three + just as long as there is a World champion decided this year.....

36 minutes ago, andout said:

I really don't mind how they do it this year, one, two or three + just as long as there is a World champion decided this year.....

I agree but a one-off final isn`t a World Championship it`s an open meeting. A one off final in the past was a meeting where riders had spent the whole season qualifying for. Not a one off meeting with 15 + a wild card!!!

I hope that it doesn`t come down to that because he isn`t a World Champion he`s someone who`s won one meeting. Infact he could be a rider who (under the current format) scrapped into a semi-final with 8 pts, finished 2nd in a semi. & became  world champion by winning one race in the entire season. We already have a World Ice Champion this year who didn`t score as many race points as the guy who finished 2nd.

16 minutes ago, steve69 said:

I agree but a one-off final isn`t a World Championship it`s an open meeting. A one off final in the past was a meeting where riders had spent the whole season qualifying for. Not a one off meeting with 15 + a wild card!!!

I hope that it doesn`t come down to that because he isn`t a World Champion he`s someone who`s won one meeting. Infact he could be a rider who (under the current format) scrapped into a semi-final with 8 pts, finished 2nd in a semi. & became  world champion by winning one race in the entire season. We already have a World Ice Champion this year who didn`t score as many race points as the guy who finished 2nd.

Yeah, I know but lets hope we have at least three or four GP's......

3 hours ago, steve69 said:

I cant agree with you that its just an Open Meeting. Those riders in this year GP either battled it our through last years GPs, fought the way through the GP Challenge series, or impressed a selection committee in some other way from their riding last year. So they are there on merit.                                                                                                       

And, IMO, whoever wins will be the 2020 World Champion.