Sotonian

One Day World Final?

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AS BWitcher stated, let's wait and see. 

It was Rob McCaffrey I think Philip :)

But I agree.

24 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AS BWitcher stated, let's wait and see. 

This is a discussion forum, to put our opinions and points across. You can always go and post elsewhere if you don't want to join in

To add weight to my opinion, a journalist talking about the chances of the various motorsports world championships getting started,which is given weight by the previous link I put up somewhere from the MotoGP firm doing the same job there as BSI does for speedway, saying he was sceptical that the season could get going

This guy states he doubts the Austrian F1 GP in July has a chance. The Austrian vice-president said he hoped it could, which might be possible without spectators,as the President himself said things won't get back to normal until a vaccine has been found.....

https://www.speedweek.com/motogp/news/157628/Motorsport-Der-WM-Shutdown-wird-eine-Weile-dauern.html

Edited by iris123

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Do you work for the BSPA? This is the kind of idiotic idea they'd come out with.

Let's go from 40,000 crowds to 10,000. That will be a major stepping stone for the sport!

Stop trying to kid yourself.  If people want a "day out" then they go to a theme park.

Nobody who goes to speedway could care less about the atmosphere.  They go for the racing, and Cardiff churns out boring racing season after season.  I've been once and I hated the place.  Staging it there when Belle Vue provides brilliant racing in a far better location is tantamount to treason.  

3 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

Stop trying to kid yourself.  If people want a "day out" then they go to a theme park.

Nobody who goes to speedway could care less about the atmosphere.  They go for the racing, and Cardiff churns out boring racing season after season.  I've been once and I hated the place.  Staging it there when Belle Vue provides brilliant racing in a far better location is tantamount to treason.  

So what you are actually saying is, you don't like Cardiff... therefore it's your belief nobody does.

"Nobody who goes to speedway could care less about the atmosphere"

You keep surpassing yourself with the absolute stupidity (that's being polite) of your statements. 

Atmosphere is the biggest factor.

1981 World Final at Wembley is remembered by many as the greatest meeting they've ever been too because of the ATMOSPHERE.

Stage that meeting and have the same quality of racing in front of 1000 people, it would be deemed as an average meeting at best.

Besides you keep making these bold statements of 'nobody goes' etc... when the reality is, they do go... 40,000 of them.

How many pack in to the NSS, or Scunthorpe, or Peterborough? Tracks that deliver the 'great racing'?

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

So what you are actually saying is, you don't like Cardiff... therefore it's your belief nobody does.

You keep surpassing yourself with the absolute stupidity (that's being polite) of your statements. 

1981 World Final at Wembley is remembered by many as the greatest meeting they've ever been too because of the ATMOSPHERE.

Stage that meeting and have the same quality of racing in front of 1000 people, it would be deemed as an average meeting at best.

Besides you keep making these bold statements of 'nobody goes' etc... when the reality is, they do go... 40,000 of them.

How many pack in to the NSS, or Scunthorpe, or Peterborough? Tracks that deliver the 'great racing'?

We were talking about this the other week Witcher was the meeting that good at Wembley 1981.??? Two  great races in with a few interesting  ones but in reality it was pretty average apart from that.The atmosphere and day out well that  was a different kettle of fish terrific great memories .Myself i am  not a fan of Cardiff but it is a great weekend  out,  which endless supporters enjoy which is great and the crowd is holding up nicely. Just a shame that Belle Vue does not hold 10,000 plus because the track is superb and it deserves big meeting's to be staged there but in reality we know it won't happen.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

This is a discussion forum, to put our opinions and points across. You can always go and post elsewhere if you don't want to join in

To add weight to my opinion, a journalist talking about the chances of the various motorsports world championships getting started,which is given weight by the previous link I put up somewhere from the MotoGP firm doing the same job there as BSI does for speedway, saying he was sceptical that the season could get going

This guy states he doubts the Austrian F1 GP in July has a chance. The Austrian vice-president said he hoped it could, which might be possible without spectators,as the President himself said things won't get back to normal until a vaccine has been found.....

https://www.speedweek.com/motogp/news/157628/Motorsport-Der-WM-Shutdown-wird-eine-Weile-dauern.html

Macron stopped social gatherings etc until at least mid July

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/coronavirus-france-lockdown-macron-a9458386.html

3 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

You are wrong. We go with four friends who go for the event and the atmosphere. They don't go to speedway any other time and couldn't give two hoots about the track. 

Edited by Noodles

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

And yet I know of plenty who hated going there because of the incessant noise.  You forget that that Wembley 81 final featured 2 of the greatest races ever seen.  Nothing to do with the atmosphere. 

Cardiff highlights one of the big problems in speedway.  People just happy to put up with any old garbage, even when it costs a kings ransom.

A GP at Belle Vue would show speedway in a perfect light.  Great racing on a proper track.  You can dress up Cardiff with all the trimmings you like.  It will always be the emperor's new clothes.

Just now, Rocket87 said:

And yet I know of plenty who hated going there because of the incessant noise.  You forget that that Wembley 81 final featured 2 of the greatest races ever seen.  Nothing to do with the atmosphere. 

Cardiff highlights one of the big problems in speedway.  People just happy to put up with any old garbage, even when it costs a kings ransom.

A GP at Belle Vue would show speedway in a perfect light.  Great racing on a proper track.  You can dress up Cardiff with all the trimmings you like.  It will always be the emperor's new clothes.

How many people you know is irrelevant. 

40,000 people go to Cardiff every single year.. somewhat higher than the people you know who 'hated going there'. Also somewhat higher than go to any of the tracks where you find 'great racing'.

You're right, Cardiff does highlight of one of the big problems in speedway. Unfortunately you've just got it mixed up.. it shows people AREN'T prepared to put up with any old garbage that you get in stadiums up and down the country.. but are willing to pay extra for quality.

10 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

Playing the "Manchester is always wet" card again?

Belle Vue is a brand new facility with fantastic drainage.  The moment it was built,  the contract for Cardiff should have been stuck in a shredder.  Speedway owes nothing to Cardiff.  Bin it.

Any fool can work out a roof is better than no roof.  No matter when a meeting takes place there is a chance of rain in the UK.   

11 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

You hate Cardiff.   But 40,000 plus go every year.   End of conversation.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

Cardiff to many is simply a spectacle.

It’s a world championship round with 16 of the world’s best riders, a magnificent stadium which attracts 35-40000 fans...

Any person watching speedway for the first time will initially admire the speed and control of the motorcyclists..... but paying fans demand more, they want to be entertained. Wheel to wheel racing and overtakes at high speed are the order of the day!

Unfortunately, as we all know many races do not play out this way due to either rider ability, track shape or simply the bikes are now to fast and with it a little unpredictable.to risk such moves.

The bikes certainly need slowing down to bring the riders together and with it closer racing - anyone can see that but quite honestly some of the uk tracks are simply not fit or were intended for the modern day  bike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bezza said:

Cardiff to many is simply a spectacle.

It’s a world championship round with 16 of the world’s best riders, a magnificent stadium which attracts 35-40000 fans...

Any person watching speedway for the first time will initially admire the speed and control of the motorcyclists..... but paying fans demand more, they want to be entertained. Wheel to wheel racing and overtakes at high speed are the order of the day!

Unfortunately, as we all know many races do not play out this way due to either rider ability, track shape or simply the bikes are now to fast and with it a little unpredictable.to risk such moves.

The bikes certainly need slowing down to bring the riders together and with it closer racing - anyone can see that but quite honestly some of the uk tracks are simply not fit or were intended for the modern day  bike.

Yet the racing is barely any different to yesteryear.. and the riders are much closer together in the majority of races.. certainly compared to late 80's early 90's.

Whilst I take on board the view that we all like to see good racing, there is little to no evidence to suggest it alters crowd figures. 

We are now straying into value for money and how the sport positions itself when it comes to marketing....

The product itself is not an easy one to call. Sat on the terraces to watch 15 one minute races spread out over 1hr 30-45mins is certainly not everyone’s idea of a night out.

The crux for me is how you fill the gaps, maintain momentum and keep the audience (children and wives in particular) engaged during the meeting, not invite them 45mins before the start to meet a rider!

....off the top of my head

Predict the score on the way in to win 2 x tickets for the following meeting.

Cycle speedway on the in-field

Launch some t-shirts into the crowd after a 5-1

Watch a race from the centre green.

Have a push bike on hand for winner to cycle round track with nominated rider.

You would think BSPA would reach out to get people’s opinions..,

Cardiff definitely shouldn't be removed from the calendar for Manchester, Manchester should be added to the list with Cardiff 

• Like 3