British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

World Finals World Finals - Out of 10

With a lot of time on my hands I've been watching all the World Finals that I could find on YouTube from 1980-1994. Here are my top 5. Was wondering what others opinions were....

1) 1990 Bradford.  9/10

2) 1981 Wembley 8/10

3) 1985 Bradford 7/10

4) 1994 Vojens 7/10 

5)  1993 Pocking 6/10

Edited by RPNY

I've only seen Wembley (81) & Bradford (85) on that list although I have Bradford (90) & Vojens (94) to watch at some time.

If I can hark back to the seventies (outside your remit) I think that the Wembley Final (72) and Katowice Final (73) were full of drama and of course Katowice (76) took some beating due to Peter Collins superaltive efforts.

I intend getting round to my hundreds of hours of speedway DVDs over the coming months.

• Like 1

Of those I have actually seen, Ove Fundin's win in 1967 is the one that stands out most for me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

If I can hark back to the seventies (outside your remit) I think that the Wembley Final (72) and Katowice Final (73) were full of drama and of course Katowice (76) took some beating due to Peter Collins superaltive efforts.

I actually watched the 1976 final (well, what there is of it), and quite honestly, the quality of racing was the best I've seen. Of course, 1981 was great, but basically because of two races and the superb Wembley atmosphere.

• Like 2

1976, pleased to say “I was there”. The atmosphere was amazing, it was an open air stadium but the atmosphere matched Wembley.  PC was brilliant. I heard he played it crafty and fluffed his practice laps to make the others think he was off form. 

Another YouTube not to miss. Search for “Peter Collins v Egon Miller Long Track”. Think it was 1982 world long track final, track was wet and dirty. Amazing race.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Another YouTube not to miss. Search for “Peter Collins v Egon Miller Long Track”. Think it was 1982 world long track final, track was wet and dirty. Amazing race.

That was fantastic!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chunky said:

That was fantastic!

I was there, 1984 Herxheim. It poured with rain the night before. The fire brigade turned up on sunday morning to pump the water off. The track was then totally relaid before the start of the meeting. It was a superhuman effort to get it on.

• Like 1

I only saw two finals abroad, 1970 and 1977 - they naturally stand out for me

• Like 1

I visited Wembley (81), Norden (83), Ullevi (84), Bradford (85), Katowice (86), Amsterdam (87) and Vojens (88)

The best in my view was the Wembley one but personally the most satisfying were Katowice and Amsterdam that saw Hans Nielsen as victor.

42 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

1975 Tiger Louis beating Ivan Mauger in a run off to get on the rostrum. The noise during that race was absolutely incredible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68hDkPAoSEo

Got it on DVD...and the track for that meeting was shocking! Ivan has since said that he was totally exhausted by then thru' a rigid diet regime he followed that year. John, however, had got himself super fit thru' a trainer and his scrambling expertise helped in adjusting to the dodgy track something he talks at length in his autobiography.

20 hours ago, Midland Red said:

I only saw two finals abroad, 1970 and 1977 - they naturally stand out for me

1977 stands out because of the poxy weather, I'm sure!!!

I did :

Wembley (69, 78, 81), Bradford (85), Los Angeles (82), Norden (83), and Amsterdam (87).

Edited by chunky

I did Wembley 72, 75, 78, 81, Bradford 85, 90, Ullevi 84, Munich 89 (worst final ever) and Vojens 88..Went mad that year and also took in the ice final in Eindhoven. I remember cheering on Erik Stenlund to beat the Russkies. Bruce Cribb was there as I recall.

I've only seen one abroad - Gothenburg 1971. Wembley finals I saw were 1963, 65, 67, 69, 72,  75, 78 and 81.
Three wins for Olsen, two wins for Fundin, two for Mauger, one for Knutson and one for Penhall

As I said above, the one that stands out most in my memory is Ove Fundin's win in 1967. Though Knutson's win was very satisfying partly because he had been West Ham's captain the year before and partly because he fully deserved a World Championship as the only one of the "Big Five" not to win one up to that point.

My top Finals of all that I went to, not that they were the best but it would be '62 because my hero won it.......and '66 in Sweden, being a West Ham fan....Sverre Harrfeldt coming in runner-up......