British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

World Finals World Finals - Out of 10

24 minutes ago, norbold said:

the one that stands out most in my memory is Ove Fundin's win in 1967.

And mine too. Especially memorable as we crowded round his car when he arrived and he got out on my side and stood on my foor in the crush. True story and it was his left foot too! I have washed it since, but not for quite a while afterwards.  I was 18 and at the peek of my speedway madness. I got a lift over from Norwich ( where I then lived ) to join the King's Lynn coach ( and sing The Hairs on a..... ) Those were the days! I remember  coming to blows with fans from the distant North who supported Eric Boocock. As a child at Norwich , taken by my speedway crazy parents - on the back of their bicycles, I never really took much notice until Ove arrived there and became my first speedway hero. 

On 3/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, OveFundinFan said:

1976, pleased to say “I was there”. The atmosphere was amazing, it was an open air stadium but the atmosphere matched Wembley.  PC was brilliant. I heard he played it crafty and fluffed his practice laps to make the others think he was off form. 

Another YouTube not to miss. Search for “Peter Collins v Egon Miller Long Track”. Think it was 1982 world long track final, track was wet and dirty. Amazing race.

Did you go with Chequers Travel in 1976? I remember it so vividily, the whole trip and having to buy zlotys before you entered the country. The only thing I found worth buying in the shops was quite good quality monochrome photograph paper. Stupendous Peter Collins effort! The whole trip by coach was £41.

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Did you go with Chequers Travel in 1976? I remember it so vividily, the whole trip and having to buy zlotys before you entered the country. The only thing I found worth buying in the shops was quite good quality monochrome photograph paper. Stupendous Peter Collins effort! The whole trip by coach was £41.

Can’t remember who we travelled with. Met the coach at Harwich, sailed to Bremerhaven, crossed Germany to enter Poland, for the next weekend we coached to Marianski Lazne for world long track. I remember in Poland being approached by a lady asking to exchange pounds for zlotys....well I think that is what she was after!
On world final day, the wife got stuck in the hotel lift, and I was not too well pleased as we may be late. She wasn’t too pleased with me - don’t know why  lol.                     
We delayed at border leaving Poland going into Czech at Ostrava. One of the guys had too many Zlotys going out then he changed from pounds going in. That was a pain. Long track spectacular speed etc, but not as good as speedway IMO.                      
Finally, we got the boat in Hamburg, but sailing down the river to North Sea the kitchens caught fire, eventful to say the least.

Wonderful memories of the 1976 world final,  now available on You Tube. After the mess at Wembley in 1975 when the over watered track by a spectator messed up PC world championship bid, and he should have got it. That’s when we decided to go to Katowice in 1976.                     
My claim to fame was leading PC for the first half a lap in a grass track. He flew past me on the back straight so fast he would have been in the pits relaxing as I started the last lap. He was class.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1

Remember travelling to the 1986 World Final (Katowice) and what could go wrong went wrong...starting with the coach breaking down in London!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Remember travelling to the 1986 World Final (Katowice) and what could go wrong went wrong...starting with the coach breaking down in London!

That may have been better then breakdown in Poland. I know Poland was a bit raw in 1976, and I imagine not much better in 86.

• Like 1

i went to Wembley '81, LA '82, Norden '83, Gothenburg '84, Bradford '85, then Longtrack Final in Scheessel '95, and my favourite was the longtrack!! Tatum's first title after a runoff with Wigg, in front of all those Germans :party::drink:

• Like 1

I went to Wembley 72, 75, 78, 81, Bradford 85, 90, Norden 83, Gothenburg 84, Amsterdam 87 & Munich 89. I also did the long track finals at Korskro 82, Marianske Lazne 83 & Herxheim 84.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post

8 hours ago, chunky said:

1977 stands out because of the poxy weather, I'm sure!!!

It was a trifle damp!  Enjoyed Olsen not winning!  Was my last plane trip - in a Comet!  Never flown again, never wanted to.

4 hours ago, Midland Red said:

It was a trifle damp!  Enjoyed Olsen not winning!  Was my last plane trip - in a Comet!  Never flown again, never wanted to.

Was that due to flying in general or because you flew in a Comet ?!  I saw cut-away sections  of a Comet at an air museum and all of the, not sure of the phrase, but the 'corrosion' or 'air bubble casting faults' within the alloy / alluminium components were frightning.  Though in it's Nimrod form, the Comet became a well-sorted aeroplane.  Shame they were all broken up, now replaced with Boeing 737 'Poseidon' aircraft.  Yeah, I enjoyed the Splish Splash Show 1977 World Final too, and 1972, 1973, 1976 & 1979 were also good ones....

Edited by martinmauger
added info, spelling

Me and my son went to bradford in 1990 stood for 3 hrs on turns 1&2  before it started, taped it off sereensport but it dragged on was using a 3 hr vhs tape and as the tapes go up on the runoff the tape runs out! Still was a good day out lol.

14 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

My claim to fame was leading PC for the first half a lap in a grass track. He flew past me on the back straight so fast he would have been in the pits relaxing as I started the last lap. He was class.

To Peter Collins - remember just how you were adored by so many and are still olved by them, for what you did and how you did it. Pure class for sure, a true speedway racer.

• Like 1

Only seen one, 1963, Fundin win at Wembley.

11 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Only seen one, 1963, Fundin win at Wembley.

I was there as well. Don't remember seeing you though. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, norbold said:

I was there as well. Don't remember seeing you though. :D

But I recall seeing you there, orange trilby, black cravat, pink winklepickers, and New Cross rosette:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Was that due to flying in general or because you flew in a Comet ?!  I saw cut-away sections  of a Comet at an air museum and all of the, not sure of the phrase, but the 'corrosion' or 'air bubble casting faults' within the alloy / alluminium components were frightning.  Though in it's Nimrod form, the Comet became a well-sorted aeroplane.  Shame they were all broken up, now replaced with Boeing 737 'Poseidon' aircraft.  Yeah, I enjoyed the Splish Splash Show 1977 World Final too, and 1972, 1973, 1976 & 1979 were also good ones....

Flying!