British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

World Finals World Finals - Out of 10

I was lucky to go to:

1983 Norden - fun trip with chequers travel, but an underwhelming final

1985 Bradford - produced some good racing, Gundersen taking Moran and King was one of the great world final rides

1987 Amsterdam - fun trip, but again an underwhelming final

1990 Bradford - great night time atmosphere and the racing was worthy of the occasion

1992 Wroclaw - still an iron curtain feel about the place, stayed in Berlin and had a great trip. The racing was nothing special. Thing I remember most is the mouthy Yorkshire man on the coach who became unbearable after Havelock won! Still, there were a few good humoured Cradley and Wolves fans who were a good laugh. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, falcace said:

I was lucky to go to:

1983 Norden - fun trip with chequers travel, but an underwhelming final

1985 Bradford - produced some good racing, Gundersen taking Moran and King was one of the great world final rides

1987 Amsterdam - fun trip, but again an underwhelming final

1990 Bradford - great night time atmosphere and the racing was worthy of the occasion

1992 Wroclaw - still an iron curtain feel about the place, stayed in Berlin and had a great trip. The racing was nothing special. Thing I remember most is the mouthy Yorkshire man on the coach who became unbearable after Havelock won! Still, there were a few good humoured Cradley and Wolves fans who were a good laugh. 

...tell me about it!

I never got to go to a world final but used to love the days out to the British, Commonwealth, Overseas Finals. Great times

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RPNY said:

I never got to go to a world final but used to love the days out to the British, Commonwealth, Overseas Finals. Great times

Great occasions and I'm sure people get great pleasure from the Grand Prix's but there was nothing quite like attending a World Final in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, auntie doris said:

But I recall seeing you there, orange trilby, black cravat, pink winklepickers, and New Cross rosette:rofl:

Yes, that was me. You don't happen to have a photo by any chance do you?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Great occasions and I'm sure people get great pleasure from the Grand Prix's but there was nothing quite like attending a World Final in my opinion.

Why wouldn't they great pleasure from them? Wroclaw last year was perhaps the greatest speedway meeting ever.

As others have said on here, it also depends on where they were. I enjoyed every World Final I attended, but without being disrespectful, places like Norden, Amsterdam, and Bradford can't be mentioned in same breath as Wembley, and maybe even Katowice.

15 minutes ago, norbold said:

Yes, that was me. You don't happen to have a photo by any chance do you?

Did they have cameras back then??? :rofl:

My first one was 

Wembley 1972

Wembley 1981

Bradford 1985

Amsterdam 1987

Vojens 1988

Munich 1989

Bradford 1990( jumped on the track and high fived Per on his victory presentation lap

Gothenburg 1991

Wroclaw 1992( minibus with the Oxford boys)

Pocking 1993

Vojens 1994

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chunky said:

As others have said on here, it also depends on where they were. I enjoyed every World Final I attended, but without being disrespectful, places like Norden, Amsterdam, and Bradford can't be mentioned in same breath as Wembley, and maybe even Katowice.

Very true.

It would be delusional and arrogant if I pretended the World Finals I attended (83-92 see above) were comparable to occasions at Wembley and the like that came before. Bradford 1990 was very enjoyable and there was also something special about seeing a Brit win in Poland in 1992. But in all honesty, some of the GP events I have seen particularly at Cardiff and Torun have exceeded them in atmosphere and racing.

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Why wouldn't they great pleasure from them? Wroclaw last year was perhaps the greatest speedway meeting ever.

I'm not questioning the standard of racing (I went to Ullevi in 1984 and it was pretty dire racing wise) but the build up to the Final was often my personal highlight during the twilight of each season.

8 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Only seen one, 1963, Fundin win at Wembley.

That was my debut as an excited 14 year old on the coach from Norwich. Oh the bliss of seeing Our Man win before our very eyes. Nothing ever beat that except seeing him do it again. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, chunky said:

Why wouldn't they great pleasure from them? 

Attending a World Final, not knowing at the start who was going to win, seeing it all unfold, and the new World Champion being crowned.

Those feelings, emotions, have all been lost, thanks to OOFC and its successors.

Yes, there are good GPs, some great meetings, but they’re not much different from any other good or great individual meetings.

World Final night can never be replicated - they were SPECIAL.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Attending a World Final, not knowing at the start who was going to win, seeing it all unfold, and the new World Champion being crowned.

Those feelings, emotions, have all been lost, thanks to OOFC and its successors.

Yes, there are good GPs, some great meetings, but they’re not much different from any other good or great individual meetings.

World Final night can never be replicated - they were SPECIAL.

Agreed. I did attend the 2003 Grand Prix at Cardiff but left feeling rather empty...just didn't give me the same buzz.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, norbold said:

Of those I have actually seen, Ove Fundin's win in 1967 is the one that stands out most for me.

I was there too, though admit it has faded fro memory after all this time.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Agreed. I did attend the 2003 Grand Prix at Cardiff but left feeling rather empty...just didn't give me the same buzz.

Agreed. I was at Cardiff in 2014. I have no intention of going again. I really do miss Wembley World Finals.

• Like 1