British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

World Finals World Finals - Out of 10

On 3/27/2020 at 4:42 PM, Chris116 said:

I was taken to the 58, 59, 60, 62, 63, 65 and 67 Wembley finals with the 59 win by my hero Ronnie Moore being my favourite. My mother loved the 62 final as Peter Craven who she adored won. I had not wanted to go in 62 as the Spedeworth F2 World Final was at our local Wimbledon but I had to wait until the second meeting to see the Spedeworth cars. By 1969 I was deemed old enough to go by myself to the Superstox (as the Spedeworth F2's had become) World Final at Wimbledon while my parents went to Wembley for the Speedway and my mother was very unhappy when she got home and found that her Stock Car hero, Alan Wardropper, had won the Superstox crown! Sadly she never saw him race with the Gold roof as he went to South Africa for a winter tour and retired from racing before he returned to this country.

The Wembley atmosphere was, as many have said, magic. But then Wimbledon with a full house for either Speedway or Stock Cars also had that magic feeling and so did many other tracks. An empty stadium will never get that feeling even if the racing is wonderful.

Ah happy memories of superstox world finals at Wimbledon.

Watched both sports in those days could not beat the excitement of the Supers

33 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'm intrugued Sid! Did Briggo easily beat Ivan or was it a close call?

Not easy Steve he rode a faultless line against Ivan, such a shame Barry gave Bernie the bolt that hole on the inside to exploit.For me though it was a irresponsible  move and he should of gradually moved through on the line not bulldoze his way through like he did.I think Barry to this day has  never forgiven Bernie for that crazy move.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:03 AM, steve roberts said:

Agreed. I did attend the 2003 Grand Prix at Cardiff but left feeling rather empty...just didn't give me the same buzz.

Totally agree Steve even the great Chris Harris win at Cardiff was not the same as all of my Wembley visits.I think mainly it was  so special for me  because i went with my dad ( who was not a fan). To spend time with him was special usually overtime stopped my dad doing much with me over the years i can still remember dad  prounoucing the great Ivan     MAUGER rather than MAJOR.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Not easy Steve he rode a faultless line against Ivan, such a shame Barry gave Bernie the bolt that hole on the inside to exploit.For me though it was a irresponsible  move and he should of gradually moved through on the line not bulldoze his way through like he did.I think Barry to this day has  never forgiven Bernie for that crazy move.

I think he used the term "Jerk" when interviewed in 'Backtrack' some years ago. To be fair to Bernie there was slight gap and Briggo admitted that he should have rode tighter and Persson went for it...how he wasn't excluded I don't know but I speak as one who was delighted that Hans didn't suffer an exclusion during the 1986 Final!

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Totally agree Steve even the great Chris Harris win at Cardiff was not the same as all of my Wembley visits.I think mainly it was  so special for me  because i went with my dad ( who was not a fan). To spend time with him was special usually overtime stopped my dad doing much with me over the years i can still remember dad  prounoucing the great Ivan     MAUGER rather than MAJOR.

The BBC commentator Alan Weeks also referred to Ivan as same I remember?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

The BBC commentator Alan Weeks also referred to Ivan as same I remember?

Bob Danvers-Walker did in a Pathe News clip, I know that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chunky said:

Bob Danvers-Walker did in a Pathe News clip, I know that.

Rememeber Alan Weeks commentating for the BBC when for some reason their only interest in speedway during the early/middle seventies was televising the Wills Internationale from Plough Lane! I think Tony Gubba used to commentate also?

35 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Rememeber Alan Weeks commentating for the BBC when for some reason their only interest in speedway during the early/middle seventies was televising the Wills Internationale from Plough Lane! I think Tony Gubba used to commentate also?

Tony Gubba did the 1978 BLRC championship at Belle Vue in which Olsen won, Gubba  for me like Brian Moore , Gerald Sinstadt , Gerry Harrison, Keith Macklin were all  sport commentators that  i liked.

57 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Never could work out why the Internationale was the only thing they wanted. However, in later years Grandstand developed an interest in grass-track, which was surprising, and Murray Walker did those.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Tony Gubba did the 1978 BLRC championship at Belle Vue in which Olsen won, Gubba  for me like Brian Moore , Gerald Sinstadt , Gerry Harrison, Keith Macklin were all  sport commentators that  i liked.

I also liked Hugh Johns. I know the Beeb had some good ones, but I always preferred ITV for sport, particularly footy. Of course, BBC had all the cricket...

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:i can still remember dad  prounoucing the great Ivan     MAUGER rather than MAJOR.

I can remember going up to Wembley one year on the Underground and got talking to a Newcastle supporter. He kept calling him Mauger and I kept saying Major. In the end I asked him why he pronounced it Mauger. He said, "It's auger without the M isn't it, so it must be Mauger with an M." Couldn't argue with that logic!

Sorry Sidney, I don't know what happened to your quote, but you know the one I mean!!!

3 minutes ago, norbold said:

"It's auger without the M isn't it, so it must be Mauger with an M." Couldn't argue with that logic!

Actually, you can! Rough is "ruff" without the T, so pigs must eat from a "truff"... B)

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Blimey some names there Sid...Gerald Sinstadt remember well and had forgotten about. My particular favourite was Kenneth Wolstenholme...no gimmicks or shouting down the mic. Just informimg the viewer what was required allowing the action do the talking. Hugh Johns on "Star Soccer" and of course David Coleman.