British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

World Finals World Finals - Out of 10

45 minutes ago, chunky said:

I also liked Hugh Johns. I know the Beeb had some good ones, but I always preferred ITV for sport, particularly footy. Of course, BBC had all the cricket...

Always watched the FA Cup Final on BBC and "Match of the Day" on Saturday evenings. Would watch either "The Big Match" or "Star Soccer" (we managed to get both) but it got in the way of wanting to be outside emulating our heroes from watching the night before!

24 minutes ago, norbold said:

Sorry Sidney, I don't know what happened to your quote, but you know the one I mean!!!

Great stuff Norbold , did you ever see Young ride as a division 2 rider.?

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Always watched the FA Cup Final on BBC and "Match of the Day" on Saturday evenings. Would watch either "The Big Match" or "Star Soccer" (we managed to get both) but it got in the way of wanting to be outside emulating our heroes from watching the night before!

My greatest football memories were watching those great early   1970s teams of Leeds Utd play.There were a great team but in reality underachieved  badly they were on quite alot with Keith Macklin commentating.Then after that those great Sir Bobby Robson Ipswich sides Sir Bobby was years ahead of his time he helped mould Cooper,Burley,Mills,Beattie,Mariner and my favourite Eric Gates he was a legend of a manager.That masterstroke of selling Brian Talbot for a huge fee and then getting in  Muhren/Thyssen Muhren  was one hell of a player even when ageing he was some player for Man Utd great days great football.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

My greatest football memories were watching those great early   1970s teams of Leeds Utd play.There were a great team but in reality underachieved  badly they were on quite alot with Keith Macklin commentating.Then after that those great Sir Bobby Robson Ipswich sides Sir Bobby was years ahead of his time he helped mould Cooper,Burley,Mills,Beattie,Mariner and my favourite Eric Gates he was a legend of a manager.That masterstroke of selling Brian Talbot for a huge fee and then getting in  Muhren/Thyssen Muhren  was one hell of a player even when ageing he was some player for Man Utd great days great football.

...and Sunderland came along and stuffed them in 1973 FA Cup Final! Yes I would agree that Leeds were packed full of talent unfortunately they often resorted to dirty tactics when on the pitch which was to their detriment.. Interesting reading Brian Clough's book and how he despised them (especially Don Revie) but ended up managing them albeit for a short while and walked away with a big fat cheque!

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great stuff Norbold , did you ever see Young ride as a division 2 rider.?

Do me a favour, Sidney, I'm not as old as Gustix! 

I did see him at the end of his career at New Cross in 1961when he won two Individual Trophies, the Tom Farndon Memorial Trophy and the King of the South in 1961, beating Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven and Bjorn Knutson in the process. I felt quite privileged in seeing Youngie at his best and can only imagine what he must have been like in his prime.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Do me a favour, Sidney, I'm not as old as Gustix! 

I did see him at the end of his career at New Cross in 1961when he won two Individual Trophies, the Tom Farndon Memorial Trophy and the King of the South in 1961, beating Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven and Bjorn Knutson in the process. I felt quite privileged in seeing Youngie at his best and can only imagine what he must have been like in his prime.

A rider I would have much liked to have seen. Ivan Mauger gave him great credit as regards the help and advice he received from him when he based himself in Australia after his first attempt establishing himself in Britain was aborted.

lol remember 1970 fa cup final replay loads of fighting and a football match broke out

6 hours ago, chunky said:

Never could work out why the Internationale was the only thing they wanted. However, in later years Grandstand developed an interest in grass-track, which was surprising, and Murray Walker did those.

Ah, the hypocrite Murray Walker. 

Some years ago, the Wimborne grasstrack club were seeking a new venue and were offered land somewhere near Fordingbridge. The village locals were having none of it and one of the most vociferous opponents was one M.Walker - yes, the very same.

Listen to what Kenny Carter thinks of Muller's engine at 14.00 ...

6 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Listen to what Kenny Carter thinks of Muller's engine at 14.00 ...

I've never seen thise version. Must give it a look but quickly located Kenny's interview and he looked gob-smacked by it all!

The problem with a lot of these situations, is there is a procedure......put your money where your mouth is or keep schtum. Too many make insinuations, but do nothing further

29 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The problem with a lot of these situations, is there is a procedure......put your money where your mouth is or keep schtum. Too many make insinuations, but do nothing further

Kenny could never resist talking off the cuff...I always thought that Gary Newbon used to seek him out for an interview as he knew that he would get a reaction from Carter for TV purposes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Kenny could never resist talking off the cuff...I always thought that Gary Newbon used to seek him out for an interview as he knew that he would get a reaction from Carter for TV purposes.

For sure. But there have been similar remarks on tv. Thinking at the SWC with remarks from the Danes about the Polish bikes. Or even from Kelvin and the other bloke about Emil's bikes......Darcy and Holder with Smoli's bike another off the top of my head

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I've never seen thise version. Must give it a look but quickly located Kenny's interview and he looked gob-smacked by it all!

Glad to see this again. Not seen this version for years. It was as i remembered, including Kenny Carter's classic interview.

ITV's coverage is quite blatantly "wink, wink, nudge, nudge". Who can ever remember the scrutineer and his nationality ever being mentioned as part of a World Final's coverage before or since? Is it some anti-German/anti-European bias on flagrant display or is it credible evidence of something more sinister? A bit of both I suspect.

Certainly, Mike Lee's insight into the track being completely different in practice to the meeting was evidence of the world's best being kept in the dark to favour their man. And just the racing itself. Even without Dave Lanning's conspiracy laced commentary,  Muller is operating at a different level to the rest. 

Edited by falcace
  • Like 2