British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

Must say...some great stuff on here! Keep it coming!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Apologies, speedway only started in the 80s for me, what was the outcome of that?

48 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Apologies, speedway only started in the 80s for me, what was the outcome of that?

The Russian Chlinovski was excluded, but instead of awarding the race to Plech, the referee inexplicably gave the win to Collins, meaning that Plech missed out on joining Mauger and Szczakiel in the run-off for the championship.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Terry said:

The Russian Chlinovski was excluded, but instead of awarding the race to Plech, the referee inexplicably gave the win to Collins, meaning that Plech missed out on joining Mauger and Szczakiel in the run-off for the championship.

Thanks for reply..... wow, really??!! 

On 3/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, Terry said:

My understanding is the rules at the time did not allow for awarding of a heat, so the inexplicable part was that Plech was awarded any points, not that PC was given the win? 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 7:28 PM, Grand Central said:

Fabulous stuff in a meeting that had many dramas!

8 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

My understanding is the rules at the time did not allow for awarding of a heat, so the inexplicable part was that Plech was awarded any points, not that PC was given the win? 

Still a baffling decision imo. Surely a re-run (minus Chlinovski) would've been the correct option.

9 minutes ago, Terry said:

Still a baffling decision imo. Surely a re-run (minus Chlinovski) would've been the correct option.

Presumably they gave it to Collins as he finished the race behind Chlinovski, who was excluded. Totally unfair to Plech though, as he was bundled off the bike.

As you say, with no awarding available, it should have been re-run. Surely the race was never completed, as it ended at the moment Plech was brought off.

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I'm not sure how not ordering a re-run was showing bias towards Poland.

It certainly looked to me that Plech was brought off.

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

I'm not sure how not ordering a re-run was showing bias towards Poland.

It certainly looked to me that Plech was brought off.

I would say it wasn't so clear cut and probably would go with racing incident and a re-run without Plech. But just wanted to add to the debate with some of the incidents during the meeting

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I would say it wasn't so clear cut and probably would go with racing incident and a re-run without Plech. But just wanted to add to the debate with some of the incidents during the meeting

So maybe debateable (looked to me like Chlinovski's fault - another Penhall/Carter perhaps!), but far from a terrible decision to exclude Chlinovski.

I have the video of this meeting somewhere, and Dave Lanning's commentary on it seems confused too and he starts banging on about pro-Polish decisions. Yet he, himself, says that Chlinovski rode Plech into the terracing.

If the referee deemed Plech to be innocent, then the decision to give the heat to Collins actually went against Plech, so I don't see why everyone was saying he was pro-Poland.

One thing that was amusing in the Wiki page was that eye-witness accounts said it was Plech's own fault. You don't say!

Edited by Grachan