British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Outrageous!

Certainly is outrageous, but you have to wonder just how many metres Gollob made up sometimes....I know there are often hints at rocket powered bikes. Gollob often came from way behind on top riders

54 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Brilliant stuff again!

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

...and yet another great race! Different era but just as spectacular.

4 hours ago, Danny Connor said:

That crowd. Blimey!

Yes it was packed.  Canny Eric Boothroyd held a meeting at the Shay later that day.  It was packed.  Happy Days

• Like 2

13 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...and yet another great race! Different era but just as spectacular.

What strikes me about watching races from different era's on a thread like this is the way the bikes grip the track. In the yesteryear clips the bikes seem to be sliding around on the tracks a lot more than the 100% grip 100% of the time bikes of today... yet a lot of people say the tracks aren't grippy enough these days

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

What strikes me about watching races from different era's on a thread like this is the way the bikes grip the track. In the yesteryear clips the bikes seem to be sliding around on the tracks a lot more than the 100% grip 100% of the time bikes of today... yet a lot of people say the tracks aren't grippy enough these days

I have no technical/mechanical expertise but it may have someting to do with differing tyre widths and/or compounds/up right compared to lay down engines etc? Interesting observation all the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nw42 said:

Brilliant ride by John Cook...often overlooked but was as exciting as anyone before or since in his prime.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:49 PM, Terry said:

The Russian Chlinovski was excluded, but instead of awarding the race to Plech, the referee inexplicably gave the win to Collins, meaning that Plech missed out on joining Mauger and Szczakiel in the run-off for the championship.

I think they should re run the 1973 world final?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Brilliant ride by John Cook...often overlooked but was as exciting as anyone before or since in his prime.

Indeed he was, I could have watched him all day long when he was in the mood, one of the most naturally gifted riders of any era imo.

This was another enthralling race, I watched it on tv but I was leaning all over my chair like I was in the race, brilliant speedway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7A27TP0WY  

Tony Millard's finest hour I reckon.  

RIP Tony.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nw42 said:

Indeed he was, I could have watched him all day long when he was in the mood, one of the most naturally gifted riders of any era imo.

This was another enthralling race, I watched it on tv but I was leaning all over my chair like I was in the race, brilliant speedway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7A27TP0WY  

Tony Millard's finest hour I reckon.  

RIP Tony.

Superb race again...speedway at its very best!

This is the best thread by far on the BSF!