Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Fabulous...I was there! Speedway attracts a lot of criticism and, yes, many races were/are won for the gate (and I'm sure that the same applies today) but when the package is right what a sport! I always used to go home happy if I saw one superlative race in a meeting amongst some pretty standard fare which often depended on any particular track and surface which encouraged/discouraged good racing...not all tracks were so blessed due to the restrictive measures in place and still is the case today I'm sure.

Keep the clips coming!

Absolutely. The marketing of the sport is hugely flawed, but I still believe that the basic product is still very good. I don't have much truck with "better in the old days" crowd. Much of today's action is equally good if not better that what has gone in the past. Ditto, some of the dross of today is matched by the past too. 

From my first meeting it has always stood out as a unique and special sport. Four crazy guys skidding around a track with no brakes on for minute long races...and the smeil too.. oh the smell! I like a lot of sports, but at its best, I still believe nothing compares to it. 

• Like 4

So many go on about gardening delaying the modern meeting and how it didnt happen in the old days 

It's often then pointed out how long it takes for a clip to start on the BSPA site

But look at this - has it really ever been any different

Clip is 2:12 and race starts after 53 seconds....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

So many go on about gardening delaying the modern meeting and how it didnt happen in the old days 

It's often then pointed out how long it takes for a clip to start on the BSPA site

Another good race. Gardening at the start? Remember Garry Middleton getting up to all sorts of tricks before settling down at the commencement of a race in an effort to unsetttle his opponents and, of course, Ivan was a master at it!

Enjoyed hearing Dave Lanning's commentary...no shouting or hysterics!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Might be a bit harsh on old Mavis this, but has there ever been a rider more frequently overtaken? He could hop out, had good equipment, but he left canyon sized gaps for the rest. 

2 hours ago, falcace said:

Might be a bit harsh on old Mavis this, but has there ever been a rider more frequently overtaken? He could hop out, had good equipment, but he left canyon sized gaps for the rest. 

Something Malc Simmons used to tell him. Davis would always be looking over his shoulder to see where his opponent was. Gordon Kennett would often wear him down and eventually pass him after having been outgated by John.

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Sad to see Ivan a shadow of his former self...another great effort by Chris Morton.

12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Enjoyed hearing Dave Lanning's commentary...no shouting or hysterics!

to be fair he did get a bit hysterical in one of the earlier clips :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Middle East Masters? Where was that then?

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

Middle East Masters? Where was that then?

Cairo rings a bell? It was an event organised by Reg Fearman.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Great stuff again!

What a ride by Emil, it was into the unknown leaving the back straight for the last time, sheer bravery.