British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

37 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Was a big fan of Shawn Moran, one of the biggest natural talents i have ever seen...

I have to say I didn't get to see much of Shawn as Oxford were in the National League during the early part of his career. When Oxford re-joined the British League (1984) Shawn never truly excelled around Cowley and it was a track that he himself admitted in an interview he had problems with. However i did see a lot more of Kelly as I used to pop down to Eastbourne and watch them and on their travels.

21 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Never really a Long Track fan but a great race nevertheless,

Juicy Brucie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Juicy Brucie

I was there! Great race again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I was there! Great race again.

Me too... I remember Ole & Bruce lifting both at the same time right in front of where we were standing

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Hans still the master!

Gate 1 was the master!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, nw42 said:

One thing that always bothered me was Hans Nielsen being referred to as "The Professor" I watched Hans pretty much from the start of his career and never once heard him referred to as "The Professor", was this a Sky creation or did I just live a sheltered life? I only ever heard him referred to as "The Main Dane"... I tell a lie, I heard a lot worse at a number of clubs he didn't ride for :rofl:

16 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Gate 1 was the master!

He was pulling them along on a peace of string!

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

One thing that always bothered me was Hans Nielsen being referred to as "The Professor" I watched Hans pretty much from the start of his career and never once heard him referred to as "The Professor", was this a Sky creation or did I just live a sheltered life? I only ever heard him referred to as "The Main Dane"... I tell a lie, I heard a lot worse at a number of clubs he didn't ride for :rofl:

It was that SKY presenter Keith whasthisname who gave him that title...never referred to by that in his Oxford days. I believe that Dick Barrie (whatever happened to him?) christened him "The Main Dane".

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

iainb i think it could of been a Peter York creation? i see alot of Hans from 1984/89 and went to Oxford weekly.Peter York for me was the only negative on going there weekly often commentating on the mike on some of the last laps in races bloody annoying.That meant  often persuading us to have a few extra pints along the way a good night out though. And though i was never a fan of Hans appreciated just how great a rider he was he certainly is in the top 8 riders in History.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

I think it was Sky's Keith Huewen who started the whole professor thing. I remember in those days they used to have three or four guests (Briggo, PC, Wiggy, Tatum) in the studio at once...a lot better than just Natalie and Scott.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

iainb i think it could of been a Peter York creation? i see alot of Hans from 1984/89 and went to Oxford weekly.Peter York for me was the only negative on going there weekly often commentating on the mike on some of the last laps in races bloody annoying.That meant  often persuading us to have a few extra pints along the way a good night out though. And though i was never a fan of Hans appreciated just how great a rider he was he certainly is in the top 8 riders in History.

...I agree Sid with Yorkie's commentating. Used to annoy me too!

Just now, Terry said:

I think it was Sky's Keith Huewen who started the whole professor thing. I remember in those days they used to have three or four guests (Briggo, PC, Wiggy, Tatum) in the studio at once...a lot better than just Natalie and Scott.

That's him!