British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

5 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Brilliant ride...inside and out!

On 9/7/2020 at 6:14 AM, steve roberts said:

Brilliant ride...inside and out!

Was at that meeting. Carter broke the track record in his first ride, which didn't sit well with the crowd. Morton came out the next ride and was obviously going for the record and the crowd really got behind him, though he was ahead by a mile. When it was announced that he'd smashed Carter's record the noise was tremendous. And if it needs saying, what a great track Hyde Road was.

Edited by Chadster
clarification
  • Like 1

It's fun to look back at these old videos and compare them with modern times....Lee would have been warned for the ridiculous jump start in the first race of his that they showed and then he would have been excluded with his jump in the second race of his they showed. If he had even still been in the semi final after that exclusion, he definitely would have been gone for tape charging there...
Also, much as I love the old Dave Lanning commetary..."It's a very even break" he says, and then tells us Betzl has been left....How is that even when one of the two title contenders is waaay behind the other :rofl:
But, the main thing that I wondered about during that video, as it's something that I have often contemplated when watching these old videos...What were those people typing about behind Dickie Davies? :D

• Haha 1

Was never really a fan of Longtrack racing...too much emphasis on the bike. Interesting archive film all the same and another example of how speedway has missed the attention of "World of Sport" which, personally, I feel was a big reason why speedway began to slide down the popularity polls.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HenryW said:

Also, much as I love the old Dave Lanning commetary..."It's a very even break" he says, and then tells us Betzl has been left....How is that even when one of the two title contenders is waaay behind the other :rofl:

"He looks like a flying hairpin"... you don't get Speedway commentary like that anymore, brilliant!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

"He looks like a flying hairpin"... you don't get Speedway commentary like that anymore, brilliant!

No "shouting hysterical" commentary that is common place on sports broadcasts nowadays...one reason I don't watch sport on TV.

Edited by steve roberts

1 minute ago, bruno said:

Can't remember Ivan having too many injuries in his career

I remember he broke an ankle during his time at Newcastle prior to the British Final (?) one season. Seem to recall he broke both wrists after crashing during the 1972 World Pairs Final which didn't apparently hinder him too much. Other than that a pretty injury free career.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 9:10 AM, bruno said:

Can't remember Ivan having too many injuries in his career

Remember him riding with his ankle in plaster at White city Glasgow in a World Championship Qualifier in the Sixties.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blupanther said:

At least he was honest!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Some good tussles!

• Like 1