British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Some good tussles!

The biggest shock was DJ not having an engine failure... :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

What memories...White City Speedway!

This seems to be the most relevant thread without starting a new one, for something I would like to raise.

Whilst everyone agrees that improved and continued (as a minimum) sponsorship is essential to keep the sport alive, opinions on what are necessary to improve crowd attendances (other than product quality) are varied.

Parking the current COVID situation, the most popular spectator sports in most countries are team sports. Fact. I love speedway, football and basketball which are all working class sports. I have no interest whatsoever in any other motor sport and know quite a few other people of a similar mindset.

The tribal belonging appeals to the masses and there is no better feeling than beating a local rival team in any sport.

If you ask the average person what they understand by speedway, it is most likely they will say it is just motorbike racing. In my experience, people are quite surprised when you mention it is a team sport. (Best not mention doubling up, r/r & guests at this point though).

The beauty of the sport is that different formats exist (individuals, pairs & fours) and whilst the quality of racing in a Grand Prix is superb, a two against two race is something to cherish.

There has to be more emphasis on the team aspect  in the promotion of the sport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no interest whatsoever in any other motor sport and know quite a few other people of a similar mindset.

Same here. I only ever became a speedway fan because of the league and International teams racing. Just like the othe sports I follow, rugby, football, cricket, ice hockey, and most of all speedway.

What I enjoy most in all of these Sport are the International matches. And therefore what I miss most in recent years in Speedway is a meanigful  Team v Team competition / tournament for full international sides. Something like a Test Championship or a genuine World Cup tournament for the best speedway nations could be a flagship for the sport, just as good, if not better, than the SGP.

10 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

This seems to be the most relevant thread without starting a new one, for something I would like to raise.

Other than the thread having the word random in it I would disagree :rolleyes:

"Post a heat of speedway off YouTube etc! Doesn't have to be a clasic. Don't give away the result of that race! If we want to know, we'll have to watch it (unless obvious)."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Struggle for the soon to be champion Michael Lee in his first race. Tough meeting.

Edited by steve roberts

The last British final i ever attended, saw forty year old Tiger Louis mixing it with the young guns...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blupanther said:

How I miss my visits to White City!

• Like 1

Not strictly speedway...but pleased to see this one re-appear on YouTube. Went to this one back in the day...what a cracking day the Aces of Aces was.