British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

One thing that always bothered me was Hans Nielsen being referred to as "The Professor" I watched Hans pretty much from the start of his career and never once heard him referred to as "The Professor", was this a Sky creation or did I just live a sheltered life? I only ever heard him referred to as "The Main Dane"... I tell a lie, I heard a lot worse at a number of clubs he didn't ride for :rofl:

I think you're right, although it's typically a moniker  that you would expect someone to pick up later in their career than as a youngster. As you say, The Main Dane was definitely how Hans was described.

As an aside, I only posted that race because I loved the way Loram & Gollob went at it, absolutely enthralling battle, so much so that I never even looked at Hans, there's no doubting his prowess but he was never one that I relished seeing ride.  I would've travelled to watch Erik Gundersen though.   

I was lucky enough to see the Aces of the late60s/early 70s, Ivan was the master but my first favourite rider was Soren Sjosten, I suppose I've always preferred the racers over gaters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...I agree Sid with Yorkie's commentating. Used to annoy me too!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

That's him!

Did Keith commentate at Eastie Steve ? was he the man with that loud Claxon?I remember my first visit to Eastbourne in 1980 and thought where is the track? never seen anything like it apart from Crayford.Kennett,K.Moran, Preston, Woods were all very good around Arlington  and i  grew to understand why the Northern tracks often struggled at Arlington.

Edited by Sidney the robin

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Did Keith commentate at Eastie Steve ? was he the man with that loud Claxon?I remember my first visit to Eastbourne in 1980 and thought where is the track? never seen anything like it apart from Crayford.Kennett,K.Moran, Preston, Woods were all very good around Arlington  and grew to understand why the Northern tracks often struggled at Arlington.

I don't think so Sid. Remember Dave Lanning in the early days followed by Tony Millard (SKY sports commentator) intoducing the action with a rendition of "Sussex by the Sea". We used to holiday just down the coast at Bognor and travel to Beachy Head and have a picnic before venturing onto Arlington in the afternoon and finishing the day with an ice cream walking the promenade at Eastbourne. Great days!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4WPPzFhXt0  

Deprivation is kicking in now, more and more I'm taking to youtube in search of another fix, it's a fantastic resource and I would be lost without it.  Seeking out odd random heats for this thread has been interesting,  seeing some meetings I'd never watched before and some I attended but had forgotten about.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nw42 said:

Deprivation is kicking in now, more and more I'm taking to youtube in search of another fix, it's a fantastic resource and I would be lost without it.  Seeking out odd random heats for this thread has been interesting,  seeing some meetings I'd never watched before and some I attended but had forgotten about.  

Keep them coming...best thread on the forum!

Hampel guilty of riding the man and paid the price!

Edited by steve roberts

Not exactly a classic, but an intriguing battle from speedway legends from three different eras. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nw42 said:

First Polish meeting I watched. I think 2011?

The disparity between Gollob on a Sunday and a Tuesday was rather striking. However his consistency from 1996-2011 (in Poland) is unrivalled, certainly in modern times at least.

Great thread btw.

Edited by Robinh88
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, falcace said:

Not exactly a classic, but an intriguing battle from speedway legends from three different eras. 

Great effort by Phil Crump...Per Jonsson doing all the covering. Never particularly rated Rickardsson as  the greatest exponent in the art of team riding but, then again, there were a lot who fell into that bracket.

Edited by steve roberts

15 minutes ago, falcace said:

Thought it was a great race, you couldn't predict the outcome and it was interesting in how it was filmed, I've always enjoyed that low down front on view of riders exiting the bend, gives a great perspective as they race towards the camera. probably as close to actually being stood right behind the back straight fence at somewhere like the Shay, what a thrill that was.

• Like 1

Great racetrack Brisbane..

Another one of those more circular ones that always seem to deliver great racing..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nw42 said:

This one is a cracker, have seen it before but had forgotten all about it and couldn't remember the outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbTcoi3m4o 

Brilliant...one of many great nights spent at my beloved Cowley!

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

iainb i think it could of been a Peter York creation? i see alot of Hans from 1984/89 and went to Oxford weekly.Peter York for me was the only negative on going there weekly often commentating on the mike on some of the last laps in races bloody annoying.That meant  often persuading us to have a few extra pints along the way a good night out though. And though i was never a fan of Hans appreciated just how great a rider he was he certainly is in the top 8 riders in History.

Oh dear. Peter York.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I don't think so Sid. Remember Dave Lanning in the early days followed by Tony Millard (SKY sports commentator) intoducing the action with a rendition of "Sussex by the Sea". We used to holiday just down the coast at Bognor and travel to Beachy Head and have a picnic before venturing onto Arlington in the afternoon and finishing the day with an ice cream walking the promenade at Eastbourne. Great days!

Sorry that is who i meant Steve, Tony Millard a blast from the past.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

It was that SKY presenter Keith whasthisname who gave him that title...never referred to by that in his Oxford days. I believe that Dick Barrie (whatever happened to him?) christened him "The Main Dane".

Wolves late 70’s he was Hurricane Hans Nielsen 

• Like 2