British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

10 hours ago, Blupanther said:

"World of Sport"...great friend's of speedway. As I mentioned in another thread one of the reasons why speedway has suffered  when the programme was dropped.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Have this on DVD. Good old days of Screensport!

Edited by steve roberts

14 hours ago, Blupanther said:

A lot of things there you just don't see anymore, Middlesbrough for one, touring foreign teams, riders sharing a fag in the pits and most missed of all, by me, a rider wearing a neckerchief! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

A lot of things there you just don't see anymore, Middlesbrough for one, touring foreign teams, riders sharing a fag in the pits and most missed of all, by me, a rider wearing a neckerchief! 

I went to Middlesborough years ago and seeing the AI flyover shown on the clip always makes me try and locate the old site (without any luck) as I use that road quite often as I head upto Sunderland and beyond.

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I went to Middlesborough years ago and seeing the AI flyover shown on the clip always makes me try and locate the old site (without any luck) as I use that road quite often as I head upto Sunderland and beyond.

Cleveland Park was located almost partly under the flyover on the south side of the water . I remember as a child seeing on a few occasions car's pulling up on the exit of the flyover to have a quick watch of a heat or two before the Copper's turned up to move them on lol. If you look for it now it's five-a-side football pitches ( the cage type). 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yeah I went the once, really enjoyed it and the thing I remember about it the most was that they had a type of "Briggo Wonder Wheel" years before Briggo came up with the idea. Wasn't the track at the A66/A19 intersection?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Cleveland Park was located almost partly under the flyover on the south side of the water . I remember as a child seeing on a few occasions car's pulling up on the exit of the flyover to have a quick watch of a heat or two before the Copper's turned up to move them on lol. If you look for it now it's five-a-side football pitches ( the cage type). 

Thanks for that! Next time I'm on that stretch I'll look out for that.

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yeah I went the once, really enjoyed it and the thing I remember about it the most was that the had a type of "Briggo Wonder Wheel" years before Briggo came up with the idea. Wasn't the track at the A66/A19 intersection?

Correct on both , Tony swales always prepped a very good track - wonder wheel followed by some sort of wire fencing to scatter the shale material evenly . I don't think many tracks were as good. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Never a fan of Shirra but a briilliant tactical ride! Out foxed Ermolenko.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Out foxed Ermolenko.

Caught with his trousers down :rofl:, Clive Fisher always had a good turn of phrase :D

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Correct on both , Tony swales always prepped a very good track - wonder wheel followed by some sort of wire fencing to scatter the shale material evenly . I don't think many tracks were as good. 

Tony was always developing equipment usually based on agriculture machine equipment. He was an engineer that worked on farming equipment as a living. He used to try things out at Newcastle such as fine sprayers behind a tractor instead go water dripping down, spraying equipment with the long arms out. He wasn't for deep lumpy tracks, but smooth tracks moist on the top, from a good and regular watering. Did the same for Hull and Worky and Redcar.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 9:05 AM, steve roberts said:

Cleveland Park Stadium was underneath the A19 ‘ flyover ‘ southbound slip road to the A66 East. 
if you were on the A1 it’s no wonder you didn’t find it.
The site is now a college and because of the sport covenant on the original site they also built a 5-a- side Football multi pitch, that’s how councils get around such clauses.

48 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Cleveland Park Stadium was underneath the A19 ‘ flyover ‘ southbound slip road to the A66 East. 
if you were on the A1 it’s no wonder you didn’t find it.
The site is now a college and because of the sport covenant on the original site they also built a 5-a- side Football multi pitch, that’s how councils get around such clauses.

Sorry I did mean the A19...confused or what!

• Haha 1