British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

scam callers

anyone had any scam callers while the lockdown has been in operation ?

Just now, jenga said:

I got an email claiming to be from the tv license people saying my  quarterly D/D hadn't been paid  even though it's not due yet . I also believe there's a scam about Sky Protect doing the rounds 

i think, at this time, a new law should pass to increase usual sentences by 50 pc for crimes taking advantage of the situation. It boils my blood

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ch958 said:

i think, at this time, a new law should pass to increase usual sentences by 50 pc for crimes taking advantage of the situation. It boils my blood

No chance of that while the powers that be are on about releasing prisoners early to avoid over crowding during this period. I know it's a bit contentious on my part, but wouldn't it be a good idea to create space in prisons by getting rid of all the 'lifers'. Just a thought! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could add the pharmaceutical companies to the list of scammers at the moment, blatant profiteering on over the counter medicines. 

i thought we were on lockdown ! next door has just had the painters in doing a splash and dash , ohh err missis ....  thats true BTW .

On 3/26/2020 at 12:33 PM, jenga said:

Likely they will step up their efforts, as they often, try to use the fear factor. I have my own way of dealing with them, as follows:

Upon realising a call is a scam, I remain calm, and pretend to be in need, of, and grateful for their help. I then say I need a few seconds, to do something, quick, but urgent (turn the bath taps off, turn chip pan off). I then put, phone down, do not end call, and waste their time, while they are waiting for me to return (which I will not do).

I once got some scammer calling me back, about 4 times, thinking he had conned me, before he realised, I was conning him.

• Like 1

Wife's just had one, text message telling her she's owed tax and to follow a link.

2 hours ago, ShyTalk said:

Likely they will step up their efforts, as they often, try to use the fear factor. I have my own way of dealing with them, as follows:

Upon realising a call is a scam, I remain calm, and pretend to be in need, of, and grateful for their help. I then say I need a few seconds, to do something, quick, but urgent (turn the bath taps off, turn chip pan off). I then put, phone down, do not end call, and waste their time, while they are waiting for me to return (which I will not do).

I once got some scammer calling me back, about 4 times, thinking he had conned me, before he realised, I was conning him.

I hope you put the phone next to the radio with some  music playing :D

• Haha 2

Scammers always try to lure the old and mentally disadvantaged, so obviously BSF members are at risk from them.. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just had a scam Email telling me there was a prob with my TV lic and asking me to create a direct Debit for payment

11 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Just had a scam Email telling me there was a prob with my TV lic and asking me to create a direct Debit for payment

B*******S!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You think you've got problems. I've just had someone trying to sell me a speedway season ticket ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

You think you've got problems. I've just had someone trying to sell me a speedway season ticket ;-)

for Hackney...

42 minutes ago, chunky said:

for Hackney...

How much?  Any reduction for us oldies?