British Speedway Forum

Exactly. Nobody can seriously give a guarantee that this time next year we are out of the crisis. Or even that we were out, but are repeating the whole thing again

• Like 1

Just find it odd that a senior figure & decision maker from Principality Stadium is saying no events for approx. two years despite already having accepted a booking from Rammstein. 

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

Just find it odd that a senior figure & decision maker from Principality Stadium is saying no events for approx. two years despite already having accepted a booking from Rammstein. 

Please read my post again. I'm not sure if I can be clearer.

The realistic assessment is that major events as we know them will not be back for two years. That doesn't and shouldn't stop any event organisers having plans in place should their realistic assessment prove to be overly cautious due to there being a significant (medical) game-changing breakthrough. This goes for anyone in any business affected by COVID-19. 

Being more cynical...it also makes business sense as far as cash flow goes. Better to get ticket money now for an event in June 2021 (or sooner) than none at all. That way, if - when - the time comes that event has to be postponed, the organiser can offer you the rescheduled date and hang on to your cash. On the flip side, you as consumer might be happy enough to get your Rammstein (for example) gig ticket booked just to make sure you are going to that gig, no matter when it takes place. It's a free country and your are free to weigh the pros and cons.

I contacted BSI on 11/5/2020 & got the following response

Thanks for reaching out. We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and working with the Principality Stadium, as well as the FIM, Welsh Government and Cardiff City Council to review various options for the 2020 Adrian Flux British FIM Speedway Grand Prix. At this stage, preparations for the event are proceeding, however we will adjust our plans as needed to ensure the health and safety of our fans, riders and everyone involved in the event. Thank you for your patience and if & when our plans change, we will be sure to let you know

BSI really do need to get on and cancel this event or at least stop selling tickets otherwise they could be setting themselves up for some legal challenges from customers.

They were informed 4-5 weeks ago by WRFU that July wasn’t available and they couldn’t offer any alternative dates until at least November and that Cardiff Police have indicated that any events at the stadium cannot take place on the same day as Cardiff city are playing at home 

Edited by flagrag

Flagrag is right.   Please call it off.    Then we can start loudly moaning hotels wont refund and ticket money hasn't been paid back.     We need something to waste a few hours while locked away in our two bed semi

9 hours ago, flagrag said:

BSI really do need to get on and cancel this event or at least stop selling tickets otherwise they could be setting themselves up for some legal challenges from customers.

They were informed 4-5 weeks ago by WRFU that July wasn’t available and they couldn’t offer any alternative dates until at least November and that Cardiff Police have indicated that any events at the stadium cannot take place on the same day as Cardiff city are playing at home 

Why can’t an event take place on the same day as the football? Last year it did !! 

37 minutes ago, james1234 said:

Why can’t an event take place on the same day as the football? Last year it did !! 

Presumably because of coronavirus, don't want to overstretch front line services.

On 30th April Welsh Government to Welsh Rugby that the Stadium could be unavailable for up to 12 months, so can anybody really think they are going to take the hospital down before Christmas.Just give fans their refund.!!

On 5/23/2020 at 11:31 PM, flagrag said:

Yes, on the face of it, it is puzzling.

I can only imagine that BSI have their own difficult legal complications to overcome first. After all the Cardiff cancellation will blow a big hole in their finances. I stand to be corrected, but I think it is the only event in the series, where they are also the local promoters? They will have their own insurance claims to deal with. They may even seek compensation from the stadium owners. I am sure they have to get absolute black and white written confirmation that the GP cannot go ahead from WRU, Millenium PLC, Welsh Government to be "forced" to cancel, to put them in the strongest position to make claims.

None of this helps the punter of course, ie. you and I. But with BSI losing the SGP contract from 2022, sadly and cynically, customer relations will not be their priority right now.

Let's be honest, the speedway crowd is not the wealthiest demographic around either, so I would urge anyone to hang onto their cash for now. This event simply aint happening.

Edited by falcace

50 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

All is good, count down is 54 days and still selling tickets.:rolleyes:

Take away the 14 days the riders will have quarantine and it should be short season in Poland.;):rolleyes:

Just reported on the BBC news pages that the hospital contract at Cardiff stadium extended to at least September.