British Speedway Forum

48 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

How arrogant to think that your negativity is automatically 'realistic'. That's an easy cop-out. Yes people's lives are essential but that's no justification for trying to destroy the efforts of those trying to save their businesses and sport by fighting to the last chance is extinguished.

Reality hurts, but nothing damages more than people trying to be clever by saying nothiong's possible and we should all give up. The right path is to monitor government guidelines and respond accordingly. 

What damages is just sitting on your hands, decrying the efforts of others and claiming the 'realism' moral high ground, but then that's far easier isn't it and if you're  wrong people will be too delighted to think of your comments.

I don't know whether we'll get any speedway this year and given the speed now with how matters are changing it would be damaging and stupid just to give up and say how 'realistic' you are. 

If the efforts don't work, fine, but at least they TRIED. 

How irresponsible to give false hope and expectation to then knock it down when the inevitable happens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, HGould said:

How irresponsible to give false hope and expectation to then knock it down when the inevitable happens.

How many people would moan if they said the season was cancelled and then come August the situation changed and they could have run meetings. People on hear moan about a match being postponed prematurely due to a weather forecast that turns out to be incorrect.

At least they are trying to keep the possibility of speedway running this season and good on them.

• Like 4

Due to ongoing health concerns and UK government restrictions regarding COVID-19, we regret to announce that the 2020 Adrian Flux British FIM Speedway Grand Prix, scheduled to take place at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium on July 18, has been cancelled.

This decision was made after careful consideration and consultation with the FIM, BSI Speedway, Principality Stadium, Welsh Government and Cardiff City Council, with the health and safety of supporters and riders remaining the top priority.

Due to the considerable logistical issues posed by the current circumstances, it was agreed that it would not be possible to stage the event at a later date in 2020.

Following discussions with Principality Stadium, we are however pleased to announce that the 2021 event – and still the 20th British FIM Speedway Grand Prix to be held at the venue – will take place on July 17, 2021.
Paul Bellamy, Managing Director & SVP of Motorsports, IMG, said: “We are extremely disappointed that we won’t get the chance to celebrate 20 years of British SGP action under the Principality Stadium roof next month.

“We know how much everyone looks forward to the British SGP weekend in Cardiff – a chance to meet up with fans and friends from around the world, enjoy great racing and experience the unique atmosphere generated by our thousands of fans.

“Our focus will now be on delivering a fantastic event on 17 July 2021 to celebrate the 20th staging of the British SGP in Cardiff in style.

“Meanwhile we are working hard with the FIM, our venues and stakeholders on our re-arranged plans for the 2020 FIM Speedway World Championships presented by Monster Energy later this year and will issue further updates on that in due course.”

Triple world champion Tai Woffinden looks forward to returning to the Welsh capital next summer. He said: “The British SGP is always an awesome weekend, so I’m gutted I won’t get the chance to race in front of a Cardiff crowd this year.

“But that only makes me hungrier for next season’s event. The atmosphere is unreal. It’s always a special night and I can’t wait to be back in July next year. Stay safe and I’ll see you all then!”

We thank our fans for their ongoing support and look forward to seeing everyone at next year’s Adrian Flux British FIM Speedway Grand Prix at the Principality Stadium.

FIM & BSI Communications

On 5/30/2020 at 11:14 PM, DutchGrasstrack said:

Rumoured 2021 date: 17.07

Confirmed :rolleyes:

• Like 2

After all the spin  last year about  a September staging being the bees knees  what a shame they have gone back to mid summer in 2021. :)

Edited by racers and royals

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

After all the spin  last year about  a September staging being the bees knees  what a shame they have gone back to mid summer in 2021. :)

I maybe completely wrong but I reckon they were strongly of the belief they could crown a British World Champion at the stadium last year. Unfortunately after Tai's season from hell that very much wasn't the case

19 minutes ago, RPNY said:

I maybe completely wrong but I reckon they were strongly of the belief they could crown a British World Champion at the stadium last year. Unfortunately after Tai's season from hell that very much wasn't the case

BSI do not have a free run on the availability of the Principality even in normal times. Last year's date in September was determined by the Welsh Rugby Union requiring summer use of  the stadium prior to the World Cup in Japan. July avoids the Six Nations rugby and other commitments in Cardiff.

Changing the subject somewhat, hopes for the SON to take place at the NSS in October remain very much alive.

• Haha 1

That clears that up then Phil!

Fingers crossed for SoN!

Finally they tell us what we already knew ! 

Hotel cancelled for this year and an Air bnb all booked ready for July 2021

Will probably get refund on ticket and lose money on hotel booking, cannot see me going back next year

35 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BSI do not have a free run on the availability of the Principality even in normal times. Last year's date in September was determined by the Welsh Rugby Union requiring summer use of  the stadium prior to the World Cup in Japan. July avoids the Six Nations rugby and other commitments in Cardiff.

Changing the subject somewhat, hopes for the SON to take place at the NSS in October remain very much alive.

!st para- surely not !! :D

This is a Grand Central post about the 2019( Speedway star article)

Well I read what Torben had to say ...

1) Cardiff would be more attractive nearer the business end of the Championship where the meeting could be more 'vital' in the title race

2) moving away from the 'holiday season' will allow more fans to attend and this would be specifically the case for 'locals'

3) the later date should have a 'positive effect' on accommodation price.

I cannot help being sceptical about his words though ....

I have never heard anyone say they avoided attending Cardiff due to it being too early in the title chase but would suddenly do so if it were only 'more vital'.

Most Cardiffs have been last week June to second week July which is generally not holiday season for most people. 

Goodness know why 'local' Cardiff folk would suddenly start attending in September when they have studiously avoided doing so for 18 years before .

And I fully expect that the hotels will screw everyone in September just the same as July, especially as the Uni accommodation may be unavailable as well. 

I presume the Stadium is just not being offered to them any earlier than September for other reasons and he is just spinning it the best way he can.

PS

I am fine with September ... Just a little less BS from BSI would be nice.

• Thanks 1

AS far as I know BSI were happy with the 2019 crowd in September and may well have chosen the same month had it been an option which I don't believe it was.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

!st para- surely not !! :D

This is a Grand Central post about the 2019( Speedway star article)

Well I read what Torben had to say ...

1) Cardiff would be more attractive nearer the business end of the Championship where the meeting could be more 'vital' in the title race

2) moving away from the 'holiday season' will allow more fans to attend and this would be specifically the case for 'locals'

3) the later date should have a 'positive effect' on accommodation price.

I cannot help being sceptical about his words though ....

I have never heard anyone say they avoided attending Cardiff due to it being too early in the title chase but would suddenly do so if it were only 'more vital'.

Most Cardiffs have been last week June to second week July which is generally not holiday season for most people. 

Goodness know why 'local' Cardiff folk would suddenly start attending in September when they have studiously avoided doing so for 18 years before .

And I fully expect that the hotels will screw everyone in September just the same as July, especially as the Uni accommodation may be unavailable as well. 

I presume the Stadium is just not being offered to them any earlier than September for other reasons and he is just spinning it the best way he can.

PS

I am fine with September ... Just a little less BS from BSI would be nice.

Keep Cardiff in the middle.      Who was the last series leader who lost the title in the last GP ?     Torun decides places lower down the list.

Unfortunately, whether delivering good news or bad, BSI press releases are always written in that oh-so-gushingly positive Ad-exec's version of Newspeak.

No fibs are ever told. But the Chiswick-worldview is almost always comically spun, like pink candy floss.

Ever so sickly.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Thanks 1